To use an agent or not?

engoz

Hi all,

We have decided to apply for a 189 visa as I am on the priority skills list and together with my wife we accumulate 85 points on the calculator.  I am about to get a skills assessment for our qualifications to use for the EOI, but wondered whether I should be using a migration agent?  Are there any benefits to this?  Thanks

Unless you are on the Priority list, 85 points is not enough, sorry.   Even before Covid, you would be unlikely to get a visa with 85 points.   If you apply now, you will be up against the huge backlog of people who applied in 2020 so it's expected the points needed will be even more.

https://iscah.com/will-get-189-invite-updated-predictions/

My advice would be, call an agent, get the free initial consultation (or sometimes it's a small fee) and they will tell you your likelihood of getting a successful application.

If it sounds like a longshot then an agent is a great idea, if they say that you are basically an ideal applicant them maybe do it yourself.

In my mind though, whilst I could easily have done it myself, my job is bureaucracy, form filling and process following, I also realise that it would take me more than a week of my own time over the course of the application and so it was better financial sense to someone to do that rather than me do it.

Ultimately if you can afford an agent I'd recommend you go that route - so less stressful and you won't spend all your time wondering if you filled out a form properly

• Like 1

12 hours ago, engoz said:

Hi all,

We have decided to apply for a 189 visa as I am on the priority skills list and together with my wife we accumulate 85 points on the calculator.  I am about to get a skills assessment for our qualifications to use for the EOI, but wondered whether I should be using a migration agent?  Are there any benefits to this?  Thanks

“Priority processing of nomination and visa applications for PMSOL occupations applies to these employer sponsored visa subclasses:

- Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)

- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494)

- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186)

- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187)”

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/pmsol

9 hours ago, engoz said:

Thanks for your replies.  I will get in contact with an agent and get an idea of how difficult our application will be.  

@engoz, I think you've already discovered a good reason why an agent is recommended.   The Immigration Department's information looks straightforward, but it isn't.  

You've studied it and decided to apply for the 189 visa, thinking that because you're on the PMSOL, you won't need the 95/100 points normally needed and you're likely to get your visa processed as a priority (unlike "normal" 189 applications which are basically all on hold).    

Paul Hand, who's an agent, has posted to point out that the PMSOL only applies to employer-sponsored visas now.  

This is just one small example of the kind of misunderstandings that can arise during the visa process and result in you wasting money.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 24/06/2021 at 13:18, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I have no idea why someone would want to commit to the sums of money involved in applying for a pr visa without engaging an agent

You don’t want to risk a refusal for the sake of a few thousand bucks

If you're already in Australia, it's pretty low risk. Especially if you submit an Expression of Interest (at no cost) and they subsequently invite you to apply - it's essentially zero risk, unless you really are a dolt.

30 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

If you're already in Australia, it's pretty low risk. Especially if you submit an Expression of Interest (at no cost) and they subsequently invite you to apply - it's essentially zero risk, unless you really are a dolt.

However, it's going to be a complete waste of time because, as an agent just pointed out, the priority list only applies to employer sponsored visas.  If he has to wait in the same queue as everyone else under the same conditions, he doesn't stand a snowball's chance with only 85 points. 

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

However, it's going to be a complete waste of time because, as an agent just pointed out, the priority list only applies to employer sponsored visas.  If he has to wait in the same queue as everyone else under the same conditions, he doesn't stand a snowball's chance with only 85 points. 

Sounds like it's irrelevant whether he uses an agent then.