simmo

UK - Australia Trade Deal 🇬🇧🇦🇺

50 minutes ago, Parley said:

Devonshire tea? Do the poms know about that? I suppose they invented it in Devon.

Do you mean like scones, cream and strawberry jam?  So nice.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Parley said:

I always told my mum off because she would have fresh strawberries and smother them in sugar,

I do that. It brings out the juice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s strange some people are like that.  My mum was the same.  She’d get a box of chocolates given to her and have one in the evening or something like that.  The box would last weeks.  I wish I could be like that.  I’m an all or nothing person.  No way would a box of chocolates last me more than two days. I’m the same with biscuits.  If I’m having a few careful days because I’ve over indulged I wouldn’t even think to have one biscuit but when I do open a packet of biscuits no way can I just eat one.  

I keep my chocolate in the freezer as well. Used to do that in Australia and I still do it in the UK. I like cold chocolate. Don't like it warm 

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I love that and hot buttered crumpets are nice. 

I like the idea of crumpets. But they always disappoint. They are either doughy or burnt. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.

I think I prefer English muffins.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 14:05, simmo said:

What are you looking forward to?

20210618_065722.jpg

What’s your view on the potential impact to British farmers from this deal? I’ve been reading a lot of concern it will have a hugely negative impact on the UK farming industry. Also from an Australian perspective, a feeling that Australia could have pushed harder for a better deal as well. Good news for the UK looking for trade deals post brexit, and Australia looking for ‘new’ markets to shift away from China, but maybe both sides were a bit too keen to sign up quickly?

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

On 19/06/2021 at 12:22, simmo said:

I do that. It brings out the juice.

Shouldn't need to do that with UK strawberries as they are sweet. Australian ones are big but often have no flavour.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 20:21, Bulya said:

We send all the Fosters

You don't.  UK Fosters is brewed in Manchester by Heineken.

It is also a completely different product.  In the UK I find Fosters an acceptable bog standard lager, decent for all day drinking.  In Aus it's only suitable for catching snails with.

However that might change as Asahi are looking to relaunch Fosters in Aus.

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

You don't.  UK Fosters is brewed in Manchester by Heineken.

It is also a completely different product.  In the UK I find Fosters an acceptable bog standard lager, decent for all day drinking.  In Aus it's only suitable for catching snails with.

However that might change as Asahi are looking to relaunch Fosters in Aus.

Yes I thunk we understand that.  It’s still a bloody awful product!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, newjez said:

Shouldn't need to do that with UK strawberries as they are sweet. Australian ones are big but often have no flavour.

They are beautiful at the moment. I had a big pile of them on my shredded wheat this morning. 

Edited by Tulip1

43 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

They are beautiful at the moment. I had a big pile of them on my shredded wheat this morning. 

How can you eat shredded wheat? It is disgusting.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

It's nice with a bit of sugar and hot milk on,in winter. Could never eat it with cold milk or anything else though.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Parley said:

It’s lovely, what’s wrong with you?

Edited by Tulip1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

It's nice with a bit of sugar and hot milk on,in winter. Could never eat it with cold milk or anything else though.

Cal x

Only with cold milk. No sugar. Husband warms it up and grates chocolate on it. Blurgh 

• Confused 2

Now Shreddies would be a good trade. (Knitted by nannas) I hope we get some imported. Nothing like them over here....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s lovely, what’s wrong with you?

cold milk, sprinkling of sultana's - lovely

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

On 20/06/2021 at 04:25, MacGyver said:

What’s your view on the potential impact to British farmers from this deal? I’ve been reading a lot of concern it will have a hugely negative impact on the UK farming industry. Also from an Australian perspective, a feeling that Australia could have pushed harder for a better deal as well. Good news for the UK looking for trade deals post brexit, and Australia looking for ‘new’ markets to shift away from China, but maybe both sides were a bit too keen to sign up quickly?

Lots of headlines about no tariff's and lower welfare standards and thus costs.  But actually there's a lack of detail about the agreement and I view these headlines as alarmist right now.

Need the detail.

• Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

I read that they’re thinking of extending the WHV to 3 years and stopping the farm work. Wish that have been before I went 😆

7 hours ago, Quokka2005 said:

I read that they’re thinking of extending the WHV to 3 years and stopping the farm work. Wish that have been before I went 😆

Also upping age limit to 35 I believe 

On 19/06/2021 at 08:18, Marisawright said:

It all comes down to what your taste buds are used to, really.  When I go back to visit family, they offer me all these "treats", like Aberdeen rolls, Cornish pasties, Cadbury's and Galaxy chocolate, Penguins, fish'n'chips from our old favourite chip shop.  I smile and eat it but I dislike all of them now, so there's not much in the trade deal that I'm likely to be hankering for.

After 30+ years in Australia, my tastes have changed completely.  Chips and batter have to be very crispy without a hint of grease, chocolate has to be Swiss or Belgian, and I can't stand anything savoury in pastry. It's what you get used to.

I'm with you on the battered fish and I haven't moved yet.  Once you have had it from a good restaurant, you really cannot go back to a chippy.

• Like 1

PR (100) Planning to move to Perth September 2021

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Matching the terms of the UK one I guess.

PR (100) Planning to move to Perth September 2021

14 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Yep!  Oh well never mind. I’m a bit jealous but I’m glad that more people will get to have the experiences that I did 

• Like 3

On 22/06/2021 at 09:30, Quokka2005 said:

Who's going to be picking the fruit then?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Who's going to be picking the fruit then?

Pacific Islanders were flown into Tassie at cherry/apple picking time.  A fair few retired people also helped out.  One farmer was paying picking staff nearly $25 an hour.  If my shoulder wasn't giving me gip I would have joined them.  Young out of work locals weren't interested.  😐  Still putting their hand out for the dole though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Pacific Islanders were flown into Tassie at cherry/apple picking time.  A fair few retired people also helped out.  One farmer was paying picking staff nearly $25 an hour.  If my shoulder wasn't giving me gip I would have joined them.  Young out of work locals weren't interested.  😐  Still putting their hand out for the dole though.

They should stop the dole if they are not prepared to work. 

4 hours ago, Toots said:

There are legislative reasons why.  MALEP and SWPP are just two.  I could explain this in full as a separate topic for those interested, but it’s very complicated.  People simply don’t know anything about JobActive/JobSeeker, I on the other hand most certainly do.

• Like 1