simmo

UK - Australia Trade Deal 🇬🇧🇦🇺

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ramot said:

Our local Coles sell bread sauce mix in the international section, plus my rationed twiglets.

I can’t get my head around twiglets, like pretzels covered in vegemite. I have to buy the Wispa’s when they’re on special though 

Edited by HappyHeart

2 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I can’t get my head around twiglets, like pretzels covered in vegemite. I have to buy the Wispa’s when they’re on special though 

Wispas now they were tasty 😋 

Posted (edited)

Are there more Roses marmalade varieties in the UK?

When i was a kid i used to like lemon and lime, and i think my Mum used to have tangerine?

They have Lime flavour here and a couple of others, although my tastes have changed and they are too sweet really for me nowadays. I tend to have vegemite or peanut butter but occasionally will buy some Roses marmalade out of nostalgia.

Edited by Parley

I want it all, and I want it now.

We used to get these little cheesy biscuit things from Marks and Spencers and i loved Salt and Vinegar straw things (like crisps in a straw shape).

1 minute ago, Parley said:

When i was a kid i used to like lemon and lime, and i think my Mum used to have tangerine?

They have Lime flavour here and a couple of others, although my tastes have changed and they are too sweet really for me nowadays. I tend to have vegemite or peanut butter but occasionally will buy some Roses marmalade out of nostalgia.

I LOVE marmalade but it needs to be paired with toast and butter and I only eat that in hotels as a treat 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Now that I have the time, I make my own marmalade.  If I do buy it, it has to be Roses English Breakfast marmalade.  All the others on the supermarket shelves are too sweet.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

I LOVE marmalade but it needs to be paired with toast and butter and I only eat that in hotels as a treat 

Yes, toast, butter and marmalade     ..........................  have it nearly every breakfast.  Also really like hot buttered toast and vegemite.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes, toast, butter and marmalade     ..........................  have it nearly every breakfast.  Also really like hot buttered toast and vegemite.  

There’s not many nicer things to eat than hot buttered toast. Yum 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I don't modify it. It goes on all roast meats. Ocean spray cranberry sauce too....American?...oh and packet mix bread sauce. Haven't seen that in years. 

I think my modifying it is just a habit from my mum.  She always added a sprinkling of sugar to mint sauce whether it was from a jar or home made.  She did the same with garden peas and I do too.

Just now, Tulip1 said:

I think my modifying it is just a habit from my mum.  She always added a sprinkling of sugar to mint sauce whether it was from a jar or home made.  She did the same with garden peas and I do too.

I always told my mum off because she would have fresh strawberries and smother them in sugar,

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I’m not sure about those other flavours you mention, I just have orange marmalade.  Lemon curd on toast is lovely.

• Like 1

Just now, Parley said:

I always told my mum off because she would have fresh strawberries and smother them in sugar,

I don’t put sugar on strawberries although we did as kids so I reckon it’s what people used to do. We also used to have a bowl of sugar to dip rhubarb into but that makes some sense as it’s bitter. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, simmo said:

my mum used to love jellied eels 🤮

I have never actually seen them but I know they were popular many years ago around London. No way would I eat them, they look and sound disgusting. 

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I love that and hot buttered crumpets are nice. 

3 hours ago, Parley said:

We used to get these little cheesy biscuit things from Marks and Spencers and i loved Salt and Vinegar straw things (like crisps in a straw shape).

Do you mean Smiths Chipsticks? They’re nice. Not sure about the M&S cheese things but probably like cheddars?

Posted (edited)

It all comes down to what your taste buds are used to, really.  When I go back to visit family, they offer me all these "treats", like Aberdeen rolls, Cornish pasties, Cadbury's and Galaxy chocolate, Penguins, fish'n'chips from our old favourite chip shop.  I smile and eat it but I dislike all of them now, so there's not much in the trade deal that I'm likely to be hankering for.

After 30+ years in Australia, my tastes have changed completely.  Chips and batter have to be very crispy without a hint of grease, chocolate has to be Swiss or Belgian, and I can't stand anything savoury in pastry. It's what you get used to.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

19 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

They’re like snack detectors. I have to hide things.

My daughter hides biscuits from her  teenage sons in a dry container in the washing machine.  They've never looked there!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I have never actually seen them but I know they were popular many years ago around London. No way would I eat them, they look and sound disgusting. 

The eel bit tastes pretty much like flathead.

The jelly bit tastes like snot.

I just throw the jelly away.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

56 minutes ago, Skani said:

My daughter hides biscuits from her  teenage sons in a dry container in the washing machine.  They've never looked there!  

I've been given a large box of chocolates for father's Day. I'll just let it sit there for months driving the missus mad. I like chocolate, but I'm not compelled to eat it. I'll eat it really slowly.

I just hope we get some cheap VB! You can get it on a plough, you can get it milking a cow, but it's bloody hard to get it in blighty right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I love that and hot buttered crumpets are nice. 

Oh yes and with strawberry jam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Oh yes and with strawberry jam.

Devonshire tea? Do the poms know about that? I suppose they invented it in Devon.

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I just hope we get some cheap VB! You can get it on a plough, you can get it milking a cow, but it's bloody hard to get it in blighty right now.

We send all the Fosters, because nobody here drinks it!

2 hours ago, newjez said:

The eel bit tastes pretty much like flathead.

The jelly bit tastes like snot.

I just throw the jelly away.

I just couldn’t.  Sometimes the look is enough. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newjez said:

I've been given a large box of chocolates for father's Day. I'll just let it sit there for months driving the missus mad. I like chocolate, but I'm not compelled to eat it. I'll eat it really slowly.

It’s strange some people are like that.  My mum was the same.  She’d get a box of chocolates given to her and have one in the evening or something like that.  The box would last weeks.  I wish I could be like that.  I’m an all or nothing person.  No way would a box of chocolates last me more than two days. I’m the same with biscuits.  If I’m having a few careful days because I’ve over indulged I wouldn’t even think to have one biscuit but when I do open a packet of biscuits no way can I just eat one.  

• Like 3