Ping Pongers

Dan Not Dale

14 hours ago, Red Rose said:

I haven't read this whole thread so you may have already covered these points. From reading your post, I wonder whether what's really happening is that you're no longer really that in to Australia? Sounds like it's got to the point where you're getting through the motions without really thriving. If you have that feeling right now, it doesn't really go away. It doesn't help that all your friends are in the UK. It all comes down to what your value and priorities are, and what nourishes your soul. If your priorities are your family and friends, and those lovely green tree lined streets, then I hope one day that is what you return to 😉

Yep I’m 75% there. Just don’t know if want to give up entirely only trying one place in a big country 🙂 

9 hours ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Yep I’m 75% there. Just don’t know if want to give up entirely only trying one place in a big country 🙂 

Australia isn’t a country, it’s a franchise.  Try somewhere else, I did four times…

On 26/06/2021 at 21:17, Lavers said:

Not just major cities, I know plenty of villages where you wouldn't go if your not local.

I grew up near Clay Cross, a small village really, that place was rough. I had been going there to the youth club and had friends who lived there, so knew a lot of people. Still had to be careful which pubs you went in though as a strange face was easy to spot. Try not to catch anyones eye when you walked in otherwise you got "what are you looking at". 

Chesterfield was a bit better being a bigger town but still rough. My wife is from Manchester which has a bad rap when it comes to violence. When she first came on a night out with me in Chesterfield she had never seen anything like it. She said it was like going back in time, we still had mods and rockers😄

13 hours ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Having been to literally hundred of Chelsea games should I be confident of handling myself in Perth? 🙂  I’m not a big bloke mind….

not wishing to belittle your encounter btw, just thought I’d try throw some humour in. I know what CFC fans are like. 
Very rare I’ve felt unsafe in Australia personally. I think having seen what I’ve seen at football playing part in that.

But have had to keep my head down on the train plenty in Melbourne though, clearly drugged up people who could flip any moment.

Wouldn’t want my child on train to school in Melbourne. I would worry if my partner was on them outside rush hour.

I guess we've been pretty lucky.  We've been in Australia for 40 years.  Never been mugged, robbed, burgled.  Never been bullied at work and never found it hard to make friends.  I used to travel home (after working late) by train and bus (in Sydney) and never had any problems with weirdos. 

After reading some experiences some people have had on this forum, seems like we have been lucky.

• Like 2

On 27/06/2021 at 11:12, Blue Flu said:

I'll commence by responding to your London versus Perth critique. Obviously knife crime is of concern to Londoners and The Met. But the only place I have had a knife drawn on me was a late night train on the Armadale Line here in Perth when I asked a k fellow to cease harassing a young woman. He took his shirt off and  produced a knife. The security were some train carriages down and on reflection he may well have been 'methed up' Far less aware of that grub drug back then. (2006) As for London, never felt really unsafe, but in certain areas would conceal money in shoes if coming out of a gig in a 'rough' area very late at night. So certainly had an awareness. Encountered street violence leaving a pub one night in Notting Hill , after one of our group got into a bit of bother with a larger mob of Chelsea fans which wasn't pleasant  and took weeks of work during the court process. Broken bottles used but no knifes.

Most likely a progression of street violence over time. (that was late eighties) But my take on knife crime is that it is more likely to be between gangs fighting over turf, perceived disrespect and/or drugs . I would be most unlucky if not involved in illegal activity to be stabbed. Obviously always a possibility in the instance a mugging goes wrong and mugger high on something, or simply with mental health issues or just the rare case of a physio bad ass. But when you know the city and in a sense the talk I've always found it fairly easy to defuse aggro situations there (London) probably less so here. 

It gets back to less people out and about in Perth. Not being noted as a late night city, in any shape or form, those out after a certain time, not even late by European standards tend to be out for trouble ,.  but Perth has always been a bit of a 'punchy type place. Bored kids from the suburbs coming into The CBD or in days well past Scarborough Beach and still today Fremantle. 

I don't know if I rely too much on the stats.(but hope they are right) but only as good as those that comprise them .It's just that  I don't detect any fall in meth. In fact in my inner city location it has escalated to concerning levels around me with a 'professional class' becoming involved. I can't say it is only meth going down , but that is only really what I'm concerned about. It doesn't take to much effort to 'make' things happen and present a rosier picture than really is. Remember Perth is still close to the top of the world in meth consumption. (you can read about the devastation of Seattle USA, has had to endure online. That I believe is around the same useage as Perth and Adelaide.)  Adelaide of all places supposedly number one. Easy to find on You Tube the shocking effect of meth on the community of Murray Bridge out of Adelaide. 

I'd say meth is out of control. Too many making money out of it to do much more than attempt to disguise it. Too many making it to fund their studies and more)When the government gets serious, not talking in platitudes, like SA, where the present Conservative government promised a war on meth's if elected  only to do nothing on gaining power.   Absolute loads of impacted people in Fremantle during the semi lockdown. Police cleared it some weeks later, must have been after impossible to look away any more. Now far, far less. 

On a personal level, I'd detect on perhaps (incredible, I know) 40% of occasions when out and about on foot in my inner city suburb, alleged illegal drug activity.  (loading up cars, concealing alleged drugs within motor vehicles, cars collecting , cycles used to deliver to I suppose you could call the syndicates. (cycles I suspect judged less conspicuous) But what ever. That is far, far more visible and apparent than before. Speaking with people it is most easily accessible most every suburb.  Small towns as well. 

Funny you say that Perth isn't known as a late night City. My eldest, from the age he started going out, used to have friends round our house or go to mates to have drinks, then go out about 10pm. Me and the wife often said they went out when we would be thinking of coming home.

It's the first place I've lived where there was no "opening hours" and clubs stayed open till early hours of the morning.

I've never lived in the UK since they relaxed rules. Pubs opened at 11:00 lunchtime till 3:00, closed till 5:00 and then last orders were 11:00 pm. Clubs closed at 2am. I don't think relaxing rules has made the place any worse btw. In fact it's probably better. Most of the trouble occured when the pubs and nightclubs closed and you had loads of pissed people, turned out at the same time, looking for taxis. Now at least people can choose when to leave so it spreads the rush out.

The times I've been out in Northbridge have all been fine, atmosphere reminded me of my times in Spain, where everyone seemed to be having a laugh and a good time. Admittedly never a nightclubber since I've lived here, my eldest had plenty of nights when he didn't get in till early morning and sometimes ended up at mates. As long as he let us know we were fine with that. Been to pick him up a few times, very late. We told him if he was ever stuck anywhere, rather than get in a car with someone who shouldn't drive, we would pick him up. Wasn't often as they used to get taxis mostly. Well worth it though to know they are safe. Catch up on sleep later.

On 27/06/2021 at 16:12, Blue Flu said:

One thing for certain is no one will admit to either the making or using of ice. I have asked former neighbour not to load meth into her car in full sight of my window. Obviously denied it was meth , but went on for months Blind Freddy would likely detect. Barely a care in the world. Until meth became clearly visible in neighbouring property, as mentioned I had no idea of its existence in the area.  I had never met anyone involved or taken meth to the best of my knowledge. I knew a lot involved with other drugs, heroin was more the drug in the nineties , which on one occasion called an ambulance after a young woman lost consciousness outside my letter box in Highgate. That was pretty much the in drug of that time. 

I believe Canada is very bad as well with meth infestation. It's a drug more traditionally favoured by the poor Americans . Here in Australia the market is so lucrative , I believe WA with its large mining sector especially so. Again I am speaking of those making money from those vulnerable or stupid enough to engage with the grub drug. Not the users. The onus has moved to care for those impacted, with talk of even decriminalizing smaller amounts by top brass police. 

My question would be with Perth being close to the top of the world in meth usage how can there not be a drug problem? Perhaps not as overt as in Manchester, but still visible enough in recent years in places like The CBD and North Bridge. 

You don't have to go to the city to score meth. Lots out Joondalup way I've heard. But probably not as condensed as around my neck of the woods. 

If anything FIFO would prevent people taking. They get tested every swing, at least my eldest does on the rigs. I think you might get a warning first time and sent home. Second time you lose your job.

Did you report your neighbour to the cops? I would have.

Stayed in Leeming on all occasions. With family friends.

1992, I wish it wasn’t such a different proposition now 🙂

92 was when we arrived. Leeming is OK, not much to do if you only stayed local though. The pub scene is totally different here isn't it. We lived in a small village in the UK but had 5 pubs, two working mens clubs and a wine bar within 10 minutes walk.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

What does your partner want to do? Apologies if you explained that in an earlier post, as I haven't read the whole thread 🙂 

She’s Australian, born in Melbourne, family here. Has an English passport now. Would prefer to be here. Will live in uk if she has to for my sake.

Edited by Dan Not Dale

51 minutes ago, Toots said:

I guess we've been pretty lucky.  We've been in Australia for 40 years.  Never been mugged, robbed, burgled.  Never been bullied at work and never found it hard to make friends.  I used to travel home (after working late) by train and bus (in Sydney) and never had any problems with weirdos. 

After reading some experiences some people have had on this forum, seems like we have been lucky.

Funny you mention the work thing. I haven't been bullied, but have had several bad experiences here at work. Forced out, taken advantage of etc.

and it’s all relative, if you moved from a village in Devon you’d likely think Melbourne is crime ridden. If you came from rough area of Birmingham you’d think any Australian city is like Disneyland.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t want my child on train to school in Melbourne. I would worry if my partner was on them outside rush hour.

Really you have nothing to worry about. The trains are full of kids going to and from school. I have been catching the train for years to work and even home from the football at night.

Trains are really only dangerous very late at night when not so many people about. Daytime is fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan Not Dale said:

She’s Australian, born in Melbourne, family here. Has an English passport now. Would prefer to be here. Will live in uk if she has to for my sake.

Where would you live in the UK? There are some splenid places for sure. I think if we'd had our emigration fail we would have moved to the South Coast. Would have been tough as it was probably at least double the price for an equivalent house and the salaries weren't a lot more. Much better weather though.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

If anything FIFO would prevent people taking. They get tested every swing, at least my eldest does on the rigs. I think you might get a warning first time and sent home. Second time you lose your job.

Did you report your neighbour to the cops? I would have.

I don't want to harp on about meth, I think I've made the point it is a scourge within our society. A simple visit to main centres will witness the effects of this grub drug has on people. Saying that it has been 'cleaned up' from a few months ago when both Freo and Perth were turning into meth centrals.

I think I indicated it  is everywhere in my area, (and I mean everywhere)  but none to the scale of violence and anti social behavior experienced with neighbour who lost the plot . I wonder what your expectations about police involvement would be? Mine hasn't been positive. But I'll leave it at that. All ;l I know is I'll be very careful with any future purchase and struggling with an area that would find in comparison with Leederville (minus the illegal activity) Real Estate agents tell me it is everywhere. Sadly country number plates too often point towards illegal; activity indicators as well. (lots Down South , they don't call it Methdurah for nothing and Bunbury was a prime spot a few years back) Young fellow I was doing business with in my bank, when got talking about the meth houses in my area, mentioned he knows of at least five in Clarkson, his location up and running.  Can't beat it. Better to choose wisely. Have rentals checked for meth production (often present spotless so visual condition no indication) 

As for FIFO workers, meths is popular as it doesn't show up in testing. A big reason why it's so rampant in mining states I expect. 

Edited by Blue Flu

On 27/06/2021 at 16:45, Wanderer Returns said:

@Parley me neither, but then I watched Breaking Bad so I'm now an expert 😉 

I couldn't watch more than the first series of that. All tell me it was very good, but too close to home and in a sense perhaps promoted meth (ice) as an alternative to actually working. As I say, I didn't see much, (hence could be wrong)  but don't think it pointed out the far ranging negative aspects that impacts on society. 

Funny you say that Perth isn't known as a late night City. My eldest, from the age he started going out, used to have friends round our house or go to mates to have drinks, then go out about 10pm. Me and the wife often said they went out when we would be thinking of coming home.

It's the first place I've lived where there was no "opening hours" and clubs stayed open till early hours of the morning.

I've never lived in the UK since they relaxed rules. Pubs opened at 11:00 lunchtime till 3:00, closed till 5:00 and then last orders were 11:00 pm. Clubs closed at 2am. I don't think relaxing rules has made the place any worse btw. In fact it's probably better. Most of the trouble occured when the pubs and nightclubs closed and you had loads of pissed people, turned out at the same time, looking for taxis. Now at least people can choose when to leave so it spreads the rush out.

The times I've been out in Northbridge have all been fine, atmosphere reminded me of my times in Spain, where everyone seemed to be having a laugh and a good time. Admittedly never a nightclubber since I've lived here, my eldest had plenty of nights when he didn't get in till early morning and sometimes ended up at mates. As long as he let us know we were fine with that. Been to pick him up a few times, very late. We told him if he was ever stuck anywhere, rather than get in a car with someone who shouldn't drive, we would pick him up. Wasn't often as they used to get taxis mostly. Well worth it though to know they are safe. Catch up on sleep later.

I never thought that London was a night time city, at least in my time there. Compared to across the channel it was tame. Expensive night clubs not with standing . But where I lived in Central London that was always a buzz regardless of time of night. Mostly non English people, probably fair to say, with very large short term population from around the world. There was late night cafe and restaurant culture to match. Lots of people simply walking around often from cultures that tend to promenade. But other places in England, I agree not a lot on offer after throw out time .

I've never heard of North bridge being compared to Spain.. In the nineties, perhaps Newcastle? Seemed to be an excess of very young scantily dressed young girls out and about. Probably barely, if at all, of drinking age. I seem to recall far more clubs back then as well. Still people spoke about not going there due to too much trouble but I never incurred anything on a personal level, but there was a number of intimidating people about and was seldom out and about what I'd call very late at night. 

The aggravation was certainly very evident last New Years though.  I don't bother to go there nights much anymore. Live in Leederville so why would I? Of course Perth has night clubs. Where hasn't? Not the same as having a night time culture though. As for Spain,  (try' Los Rambles' for promenading at 3 in the morning and marvel at the sights and energy nothing similar in Perth by a very long shot.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I grew up near Clay Cross, a small village really, that place was rough. I had been going there to the youth club and had friends who lived there, so knew a lot of people. Still had to be careful which pubs you went in though as a strange face was easy to spot. Try not to catch anyones eye when you walked in otherwise you got "what are you looking at". 

Chesterfield was a bit better being a bigger town but still rough. My wife is from Manchester which has a bad rap when it comes to violence. When she first came on a night out with me in Chesterfield she had never seen anything like it. She said it was like going back in time, we still had mods and rockers😄

Not to different from some small town Australian places . A foreign accent could back in the day in certain rougher  pubs, even  more a foreign look bring unwanted attention which could without too much effort lead to a smack in the mouth. 

Edited by Blue Flu

4 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I never thought that London was a night time city, at least in my time there. Compared to across the channel it was tame. Expensive night clubs not with standing . But where I lived in Central London that was always a buzz regardless of time of night. Mostly non English people, probably fair to say, with very large short term population from around the world. There was late night cafe and restaurant culture to match. Lots of people simply walking around often from cultures that tend to promenade. But other places in England, I agree not a lot on offer after throw out time .

I've never heard of North bridge being compared to Spain.. In the nineties, perhaps Newcastle? Seemed to be an excess of very young scantily dressed young girls out and about. Probably barely, if at all, of drinking age. I seem to recall far more clubs back then as well. Still people spoke about not going there due to too much trouble but I never incurred anything on a personal level, but there was a number of intimidating people about and was seldom out and about what I'd call very late at night. 

The aggravation was certainly very evident last New Years though.  I don't bother to go there nights much anymore. Live in Leederville so why would I? Of course Perth has night clubs. Where hasn't? Not the same as having a night time culture though. As for Spain,  (try' Los Rambles' for promenading at 3 in the morning and marvel at the sights and energy nothing similar in Perth by a very long shot.

The excess of scantilly clad girls was what was attracting me and my mates to Spain. There's your comparison. Must be something to do with the weather.😆

2 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Not to different from some small town Australian places . A foreign accent could back in the day in certain rougher  pubs, even  more a foreign look bring unwanted attention which could without too much effort lead to a smack in the mouth. 

Like those bars in Crocodile Dundee? I've been to Kal a few times, those bars were lively and fun. I've heard they've been tidied up though, where's the fun in that?

15 hours ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Having been to literally hundred of Chelsea games should I be confident of handling myself in Perth? 🙂  I’m not a big bloke mind….

not wishing to belittle your encounter btw, just thought I’d try throw some humour in. I know what CFC fans are like. 
Very rare I’ve felt unsafe in Australia personally. I think having seen what I’ve seen at football playing part in that.

But have had to keep my head down on the train plenty in Melbourne though, clearly drugged up people who could flip any moment.

I don't think trains during the day would pose too much of a problem in any Australian city. (Especially if dress your kids up in Chelsea gear and for good measure teach them that stabbing chant Chelsea used to chant ) It's not the big ones one needs to concern oneself with.....but no, knew lots of Chelsea supporters, as once lived near to their grounds. Incident happened after a Rhodesian (Zimbabwean ) guy got into an argument with a couple of blokes while playing pool and thought he'd take them on after the pub. He only realized later that they were part of a larger cohort of what turned out to be Chelsea supporters, highly volatile,  and got scared for own well being. Spotted someone he knew in our group and made himself part of the group resulting in all being set upon outside the pub. Girls included. They actually went berserk and attacked anyone on the street at the time, resulting in charges of affray and a string of others. Just a night out in London. 

Where would you live in the UK? There are some splenid places for sure. I think if we'd had our emigration fail we would have moved to the South Coast. Would have been tough as it was probably at least double the price for an equivalent house and the salaries weren't a lot more. Much better weather though.

I’m from north Hampshire. 50 mikes to London, less to south coast. Pretty good spot. A 2 bed mid terrace is now over 300k though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Like those bars in Crocodile Dundee? I've been to Kal a few times, those bars were lively and fun. I've heard they've been tidied up though, where's the fun in that?

Never been to Kal. No fun at all without the odd bar room brawl.  Although receiving a punch in the head for possessing a pommy accent , as my friend fromStoke on Trent, did out of the blue dampens the fun a little. (place Albany) Another Swiss guy , a full bottle of beer smashed across his head, (reason supposedly looking at this blokes girlfriend) (place Katanning) All last century. Yep sanitised world we live in now. Most likely libeled for hurting feelings or offensive behaviour. 

1 minute ago, Dan Not Dale said:

I’m from north Hampshire. 50 mikes to London, less to south coast. Pretty good spot. A 2 bed mid terrace is now over 300k though. 

My wifes Sister and hubby lived in Bermuda for about 10 years, they are teachers. When they came back to the UK, something they always wanted to do and knew they would have to, settled in Tolpuddle. Obviously they had the cash to let them do it, their stint in Bermuda was well paid and the house provided by the school.

They love it but strangely enough their kids couldn't wait to get away. One is in Nottingham and the other is moving back to Manchester after a stint in China, teaching.

TBH it was too quite for me too when we've visited. One pub that had hardly anyone in, virtually no public transport and the nearest town Dorchester. Too far from the coast to say you're close and not much happening locally.

22 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I don't think trains during the day would pose too much of a problem in any Australian city. (Especially if dress your kids up in Chelsea gear and for good measure teach them that stabbing chant Chelsea used to chant ) It's not the big ones one needs to concern oneself with.....but no, knew lots of Chelsea supporters, as once lived near to their grounds. Incident happened after a Rhodesian (Zimbabwean ) guy got into an argument with a couple of blokes while playing pool and thought he'd take them on after the pub. He only realized later that they were part of a larger cohort of what turned out to be Chelsea supporters, highly volatile,  and got scared for own well being. Spotted someone he knew in our group and made himself part of the group resulting in all being set upon outside the pub. Girls included. They actually went berserk and attacked anyone on the street at the time, resulting in charges of affray and a string of others. Just a night out in London. 

Must have been a fair while back yes

9 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Never been to Kal. No fun at all without the odd bar room brawl.  Although receiving a punch in the head for possessing a pommy accent , as my friend fromStoke on Trent, did out of the blue dampens the fun a little. (place Albany) Another Swiss guy , a full bottle of beer smashed across his head, (reason supposedly looking at this blokes girlfriend) (place Katanning) All last century. Yep sanitised world we live in now. Most likely libeled for hurting feelings or offensive behaviour. 

Mate, I can't remember the number of times I've been involved in brawls in either Sheffield, Nottingham or Derby. Just because we had Derbyshire accents. You would think we'd be OK in Derby but no, our accents were different enough to be noticed. Sheffield was the worst though. Always a bit of a feeling between Yorkshire/Derbyshire. 

I had 12 stitches in my head once, place Chesterfield, just because a biker guy didn't like the kaftan I was wearing. He said I'd been looking at his girlfriend too. Probably had TBH. He just walked past and smashed a pint pot over my head then did a runner. 

Can happen anywhere, specially when your younger. Not been involved in any brawls since I was at Uni. Every time it wasn't started by me either, I'm not a violent drunk, booze makes me happy.