Ping Pongers

Dan Not Dale

14 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

When has there not been Toots? I was watching a program a couple of weeks ago and the presenter was somewhere in the middle of Aus, dry as a bone, looking at some aboriginal art. Then he picks some things out of the rock, it's shells from old sea creatures.

Yes there was a massive inland sea which covered a huge area of Australia 100 million years ago.  Maybe in another 100 million years Australia will again be covered in water.  Climate change has been around for millions of years and it's still happening. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2021 at 10:32, Blue Flu said:

Bucketing down in Perth at the moment. Expected to last most the day. Entire weekly forecast is for rain. Most uncommon to have such an extended duration. Love the rain myself , so no problem for me. Just unusual to have so much . Did you find Perth rain torrential?  Never thought it as such. I've seen it in FNQ and NT and Kimberley, but Perth? 

It took us by surprise this last 10 days.  We were out house hunting and ended up going through flooded roads across the city - we’ve never known anything like it.  My wife is from Perth, and we’d previously lived here in the mid 90’s and from 2003-2008. This continuous wet & cool spell seems very unusual.

On 17/07/2021 at 07:58, Canbush said:

It took us by surprise this last 10 days.  We were out house hunting and ended up going through flooded roads across the city - we’ve never known anything like it.  My wife is from Perth, and we’d previously lived here in the mid 90’s and from 2003-2008. This continuous wet & cool spell seems very unusual.

How is the house hunting going?

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

How is the house hunting going?

Finally got somewhere nice in Applecross for 12 months, though still horrified at the rent level we're accepting.  We've been too used to paying rural Shropshire rents these past 12 years, so switching to city rents has been an eye opener.  That said, we choose a very good area to be near to family and to provide the sense of space and peacefulness I need for my work, so its our own choice.  In 12 months we should move out to the Perth Hills and be able to halve what we're paying.

I know you said you have family here, but when you get back to Perth give me a shout if there's anything we might be able to help on.

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canbush said:

Finally got somewhere nice in Applecross for 12 months, though still horrified at the rent level we're accepting.  We've been too used to paying rural Shropshire rents these past 12 years, so switching to city rents has been an eye opener.  That said, we choose a very good area to be near to family and to provide the sense of space and peacefulness I need for my work, so its our own choice.  In 12 months we should move out to the Perth Hills and be able to halve what we're paying.

I know you said you have family here, but when you get back to Perth give me a shout if there's anything we might be able to help on.

Peter

Thanks Peter that is very kind.  Glad to hear you have landed on somewhere.  I am paying £2k a month rent at the moment in West Sussex, so the step won't be so much, but still looking around the $1000 a week mark, which just misses the really nice places when you need 4 bedrooms (or at least a nice 3 bed plus study).  I could be persuaded to $1200 a week for 12 months if it had a pool like one I saw pop up on Realestate app yesterday in Ardross.  If they are still going over the advertised rate that is probably a pipe dream again.

• Like 1

We managed to keep sub $1000 for a 4-bed near the old Heathcote hospital.  Older house-tidy and nice enough, but could do with a bit more updating. We just wanted the extra space to do some sorting, then we’ll switch down to a 3 bed when we can as its just the pair of us. 

6 hours ago, Canbush said:

We managed to keep sub $1000 for a 4-bed near the old Heathcote hospital.  Older house-tidy and nice enough, but could do with a bit more updating. We just wanted the extra space to do some sorting, then we’ll switch down to a 3 bed when we can as its just the pair of us. 

Space is always worth a little more I think.  We are looking for modernised or modern I guess, hence Applecross is probably off the radar unless we get lucky.

On 20/07/2021 at 09:14, Canbush said:

Nice spot.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 11:14, Canbush said:

Where is that?

22 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Space is always worth a little more I think.  We are looking for modernised or modern I guess, hence Applecross is probably off the radar unless we get lucky.

There’s some good properties coming up on the other side of the highway, but still Applecross/Ardross, or around to Attadale/Alfred Cove.  We were lucky, but we’d worked out to get in before open inspections by contacting the agent in person - gives them a chance to meet you and potentially favour your application if there are multiple applicants.  It was what we were advised by a couple of agents and seemed to work for us.

Best of luck 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 06:37, Toots said:

Yes there was a massive inland sea which covered a huge area of Australia 100 million years ago.  Maybe in another 100 million years Australia will again be covered in water.  Climate change has been around for millions of years and it's still happening. 

It's my dream that they will flood the interior of Australia. Most of it is below sea level. It would make huge areas of Australia fertile, and may even lower the rising sea levels a bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canbush said:

😁 WA, but if we ever go back then I’d be happy with the Scottish alternative or anywhere up around that coastline to Achiltibuie.  One of my favourite areas.

On the subject of matching names, my Son just finished up in the UK at Shelley Primary school, named for Percy Bysse Shelley who lived nearby.  Looking at the Rossmoyne SHS catchment zeon, we could well end up in Shelley, WA where he would attend... Shelley Primary School 🙂

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

We’ve moved from Victoria to Yorkshire; our new address is RICHMOND Lane and the next street over is CARLTON Terrace.  I reckon there must have been an Aussie influence in the naming.

Odd, innit? Went from No. 53 in Bradford, Yorkshire to No. 53 in West Leederville, WA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

We’ve moved from Victoria to Yorkshire; our new address is RICHMOND Lane and the next street over is CARLTON Terrace.  I reckon there must have been an Aussie influence in the naming.

Just don't live in Collingwood.

You are in the best street in Yorkshire. Go Tiges.

On 21/07/2021 at 16:13, Canbush said:

There’s some good properties coming up on the other side of the highway, but still Applecross/Ardross, or around to Attadale/Alfred Cove.  We were lucky, but we’d worked out to get in before open inspections by contacting the agent in person - gives them a chance to meet you and potentially favour your application if there are multiple applicants.  It was what we were advised by a couple of agents and seemed to work for us.

Best of luck 

I went to that place at Heathcote a few times, had Xmas dinner there and NYE (in 2017). Is it an old hospital?

I was staying in South Perth that time but on my second visit I had an airbnb opposite the 24X7 IGA and I became familiar with Applecross,  Ardross,  South Perth. 

God knows if I'll ever get back to Perth again. I see from Booking.com that there's a new aparthotel opened in Mends St or the next street over. Very handy for the Windsor Hotel.  It was being built when I was last there staying at another nice place down the Esplanade.

Last year during the first lockdown I had reasons to go to both WA and QLD but the borders were shut. QLD opened first so I went there for what became eight months. 

Now, back in Sydney and the borders are shut again and I'm thinking, "Whichever state opens first,  I'll go there."

Let's hope they don't open on the same day so I have to make a decision. It will probably be the same year rather than day anyway and that year will be 2023!?

8 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I went to that place at Heathcote a few times, had Xmas dinner there and NYE (in 2017). Is it an old hospital?

I was staying in South Perth that time but on my second visit I had an airbnb opposite the 24X7 IGA and I became familiar with Applecross,  Ardross,  South Perth. 

God knows if I'll ever get back to Perth again. I see from Booking.com that there's a new aparthotel opened in Mends St or the next street over. Very handy for the Windsor Hotel.  It was being built when I was last there staying at another nice place down the Esplanade.

Last year during the first lockdown I had reasons to go to both WA and QLD but the borders were shut. QLD opened first so I went there for what became eight months. 

Now, back in Sydney and the borders are shut again and I'm thinking, "Whichever state opens first,  I'll go there."

Let's hope they don't open on the same day so I have to make a decision. It will probably be the same year rather than day anyway and that year will be 2023!?

There is a very smart and expensive Rydges South Perth.  We look at it, but about twice the price of the AirBnB we have booked on Kintail Road Applecross.  We used to live in Spey Road by the river (in an old house which has been bulldozed and a $4m+ mansion built in its place), and my wife grew up in Conan Road and Nairn Road.

It was an old mental hospital.  It's been the Bluewater Bistro for a few years now, and other building have been turned into arts & crafts workshops and a gallery.  A very lovely spot and just a short walk for me from next week so it will become my regular coffee haunt I expect, along with the Ardross Street coffee strip.

We used to live in South Perth opposite the Civic Centre, and my wife's family have had homes there for several decades - typical farming family.  I'm a little disappointed with the Windsor area now as it seems to have lost a lot of its old character.  Much prefer the inner North suburbs around Leederville, Subiaco and Claremont.

Airbnb's seem to have become pretty expensive this last couple of years, but we did stay in a lovely one on the coast a few weeks back.  Otherwise, if you find a good deal, the Doubletree on Elizabeth Quay has marvellous views if you are just after a hotel room.  Just don't bother with breakfast there - very poor.

Best of luck choosing where to be and stay safe in Sydney.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Canbush said:

It was an old mental hospital.  It's been the Bluewater Bistro for a few years now, and other building have been turned into arts & crafts workshops and a gallery.  A very lovely spot and just a short walk for me from next week so it will become my regular coffee haunt I expect, along with the Ardross Street coffee strip.

We used to live in South Perth opposite the Civic Centre, and my wife's family have had homes there for several decades - typical farming family.  I'm a little disappointed with the Windsor area now as it seems to have lost a lot of its old character.  Much prefer the inner North suburbs around Leederville, Subiaco and Claremont.

Airbnb's seem to have become pretty expensive this last couple of years, but we did stay in a lovely one on the coast a few weeks back.  Otherwise, if you find a good deal, the Doubletree on Elizabeth Quay has marvellous views if you are just after a hotel room.  Just don't bother with breakfast there - very poor.

Best of luck choosing where to be and stay safe in Sydney.

We stayed at the Doubletree in April. Thought the breakfast was fine. Not a massive choice and slow to refill (understaffed) 

10 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I was surveying a drainage line years ago near the heathcote hospital. Lovely spot to work. We were halfway through when four blokes in white coats suddenly came rushing up to us looking very worried. They asked us if we had seen a bloke who had obviously done a runner. Don't know if they ever found him.

• Haha 1