Ping Pongers

Dan Not Dale

3 minutes ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Cranbourne South. Estate is itself is outstanding. Still under construction. It has 10k of decent walking paths, lake to walk around. Families come from surrounds every weekend to bring kids to the parks. Surrounds however are pretty questionable. Let’s just say I don’t want my kids (I don’t yet have 🙂 ) going to school around here. 

We thought better this than a million dollars debt to be in the middle ring burbs.

I think you may find similarities here in Perth Metro. I'd be loathe to buy into such a development  as far too contrived and I'd foresee problems with kids when a little older. First ascertain infrastructure. Is public transport handy? Is it there at all? What amenities are there in walking distance? How far is the nearest shopping centre? Are there community facilities like library/gym/ leisure centre?  How far from ocean/pool? So much to consider. I'd go for an established area, tried and proved if it were me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

My partner was on a home visit in Canning Valle the other day and commented on some good looking builds there. I've no idea. The first two would not rate with me from research more than actual experience. I guess a very personal thing and I am hyper aware of possible problems to a far greater extent than when purchased present house. It can be differing from road to road, not just suburb. 0But I can tell you there is quite a cost around moving with stamp duty and various other expenses that all add up to the realization that a lot of research and work needs to go into any purchase. Even then you can't always get it right. The  street was fine years back. Only to become what may term a sanctuary for certain illegal activity.  

Yeah there’s always an element of luck involved 

19 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Right. A Greeser then. Perhaps more a Gary Glitter fan and relate more to Leader of the Pack type? But Mini Coopers are cool. Will try and catch the final gig down Freo of Mod Squad . 

Not a greaser, more of a mod that liked motorbikes. Scooters never had enough power. 

Gary Glitter wouldn't have been on my music scene. The Who and anyone else that was good live I was a fan of. Mostly heavy metal, not glam rock, although a fan of Fairport Convention, Neil Young, so a bit of soft rock and folk. 

Saw Neil Young here about 3 years back with Crazy Horse. Pretty good for an old git.

29 minutes ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Sydney is realistically too expensive, so that’s out. Brisbane probably too hot too often from what I hear. 
Adelaide, centre of Adelaide looked smaller than most UK towns, just with a big oval stadium by the river? I know of no one who lives there so have never heard much about it.

NT, I think id last a week.

Perth - dads mate settled there, they love it, been on visits, seems fine. My mum and dad would far rather come visit there than Melbourne also. That about the summary of why that’s what I’m thinking of. Also loads of brits from what I hear. 

We touched on towns before, and you’re right, I should look in to them more. I think jobs (lack of) is my worry there. 

yep don’t know if have romanticised Perth or not? 🙂 

Brisbane is more humid, not necessarily hotter. I found I could go for a walk in Bris in what would be a really pleasant temperature here, 30 degrees or so and I'd sweat like anything in Bris. Especially if I took a backpack, T shirt would be wet through.

• Like 1

Likely, but they could be 5 mins from nice spots and 45 mins from work as opposed to Melbourne’s 1 hour 20. Maybe their full of hoon types too, maybe not?

Hoons appear to be a feature of live here. But don't forget the prevailing drug issues as well. Ellenbrook a suburb developed here in Perth not too long ago, was developed with excess hyperbole, but end result somewhat different. Most suburban social issues you could imagine prominent there.  Poor infrastructure, some impressive houses from initial view but really a holistic view o needs to be  the focus.

8 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Not a greaser, more of a mod that liked motorbikes. Scooters never had enough power. 

Gary Glitter wouldn't have been on my music scene. The Who and anyone else that was good live I was a fan of. Mostly heavy metal, not glam rock, although a fan of Fairport Convention, Neil Young, so a bit of soft rock and folk. 

Saw Neil Young here about 3 years back with Crazy Horse. Pretty good for an old git.

So a motor bike riding Mod? First time for all I guess. Not quite sure which of the two tribes would have invited you along though. Sounds like could well have been 'the meat in the sandwich'. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I think you may find similarities here in Perth Metro. I'd be loathe to buy into such a development  as far too contrived and I'd foresee problems with kids when a little older. First ascertain infrastructure. Is public transport handy? Is it there at all? What amenities are there in walking distance? How far is the nearest shopping centre? Are there community facilities like library/gym/ leisure centre?  How far from ocean/pool? So much to consider. I'd go for an established area, tried and proved if it were me. 

Yep I agree, and most people here would i’m sure. We’ve delayed kids for the reasons you mention.

I’m not putting words in anyone’s mouth here, but it isn’t easy to buy in an established suburb when you have no equity gained from the boom.

I don’t know how old people are around here but I think people of a certain age upwards don’t realise what modern house prices actually mean for many these days. That’s why we choose the soulless suburbs. We don’t want to be there. 
We rented in Bentleigh, far better spot, but houses cost well over a million easily. Repayments on 800,000-900,000 loans are a bit scary. 

Edited by Dan Not Dale
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

It must be don't venture out into true suburbia enough. I only mentioned to someone a few months back how less hooning appeared to be, compared to my youth. Where exactly are you?

I agree. There's definitely less hooning than there used to be as it becomes less socially acceptable. Here in Queensland there's even a dob-a-hoon hotline - 13HOON 😄 

Yep I agree, and most people here would i’m sure. We’ve delayed kids for the reasons you mention.

I’m not putting words in anyone’s mouth here, but it isn’t easy to buy in an established suburb when you have no equity gained from the boom.

I don’t know how old people are around here but I think people of a certain age upwards don’t realise what modern house prices actually mean for many these days. That’s why we choose the soulless suburbs. We don’t want to be there. 
We rented in Bentleigh, far better spot, but houses cost well over a million easily. Repayments on 800,000-900,000 loans are a bit scary. 

I fully endorse your expressed sentiments. We are indeed in an ugly place with concern to housing costs. It is close to impossible to give advise beyond obviously saying don't take on more debt than comfortable with. We have been severely short changed by the political and related forces that allowed, indeed facilitated this to happen. It's of no use saying how Australia was so easy a few decades ago to purchase a house. I lost out big time. Could have purchased three with the purchasing power once had. Now labouring over if want one in a decent suburb (if I want to commit  to an over priced house) 

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I agree. There's definitely less hooning than there used to be as it becomes less socially acceptable. Here in Queensland there's even a dob-a-hoon hotline - 13HOON 😄 

Like it. Wish Dob in a Dealer returned. Get a new street of neighbours.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Me too. Unless going rural 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

That's all many can afford. We live on the Sunshine Coast and $400k-500k here buys you a shoebox in a new development. Often they are a nice new shoebox, close to all the (pre-built) amenities, but you can still find yourself in areas where trouble occurs. Fortunately we owned our UK home outright, so (with a mortgage) we can afford somewhere in a nice area - for which I'm very thankful.

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That's all many can afford. We live on the Sunshine Coast and $400k-500k here buys you a shoebox in a new development. Often they are a nice new shoebox, close to all the (pre-built) amenities, but you can still find yourself in areas where trouble occurs. Fortunately we owned our UK home outright, so (with a mortgage) we can afford somewhere in a nice area - for which I'm very thankful.

You can always buy something less shiny often with a bigger block if you're prepared to sacrifice all mod cons. You have to buy within your budget and do it up as you go. 

• Like 1

I fully endorse your expressed sentiments. We are indeed in an ugly place with concern to housing costs. It is close to impossible to give advise beyond obviously saying don't take on more debt than comfortable with. We have been severely short changed by the political and related forces that allowed, indeed facilitated this to happen. It's of no use saying how Australia was so easy a few decades ago to purchase a house. I lost out big time. Could have purchased three with the purchasing power once had. Now labouring over if want one in a decent suburb (if I want to commit  to an over priced house) 

Yep we’re on the same page for sure. I really don’t think government here or UK has a grip on what it’s really done to the average family. Imagine starting at zero now as an 18 year old without leaning on parents for free board.

Sorry if off topic but you’re 100% spot and and feel strongly about it 🙂You’re right it makes it hard to give advice too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That’s another prompt for Perth discussion, correct me if I’m wrong, but we could have a perfectly liveable 3 bed in a half decent suburb for 700k potentially? (Am I way off)

It’s still a lot, but I think I could sleep at night and actually pay it off before being 70.

Melbourne no chance under a million. 

Hoons appear to be a feature of live here. But don't forget the prevailing drug issues as well. Ellenbrook a suburb developed here in Perth not too long ago, was developed with excess hyperbole, but end result somewhat different. Most suburban social issues you could imagine prominent there.  Poor infrastructure, some impressive houses from initial view but really a holistic view o needs to be  the focus.

Thankfully the hoons here burn up on the country roads at night.  The police cracked down on them hooning around town but late in the evenings we can occasionally hear in the distance, the V8s roaring along the road by the sea and then the inevitable sound of screeching tyres accompanied by the smell of burning rubber.  My husband often mutters "the natives are restless tonight".  This happens very close to the local age care home - hopefully the residents are hard of hearing and can't hear the racket the hoons are making.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dan Not Dale said:

That’s another prompt for Perth discussion, correct me if I’m wrong, but we could have a perfectly liveable 3 bed in a half decent suburb for 700k potentially? (Am I way off)

It’s still a lot, but I think I could sleep at night and actually pay it off before being 70.

I agree, which is why Melbourne is not the place to be.  You say your parents would much rather visit Perth than Melbourne, but why? If they've never lived in Australia they've got no idea whether it's a nicer place than Brisbane/Adelaide/Newcastle etc. They're just romanticising, maybe because they know one or two people who live there.

It's true there are lots of Brits in Perth, but do consider that Benidorm is full of Brits and you might not want to live there.  Some of the "British" suburbs in Perth have a reputation of being real bogan territory (that's chav to you). 

It sounds like you need to visit Perth and book an Airbnb in the suburbs you'd be able to afford, then see if it still works for you.  Maybe it will.

17 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I agree, which is why Melbourne is not the place to be.  You say your parents would much rather visit Perth than Melbourne, but why? If they've never lived in Australia they've got no idea whether it's a nicer place than Brisbane/Adelaide/Newcastle etc. They're just romanticising, maybe because they know one or two people who live there.

It's true there are lots of Brits in Perth, but do consider that Benidorm is full of Brits and you might not want to live there.  Some of the "British" suburbs in Perth have a reputation of being real bogan territory (that's chav to you). 

It sounds like you need to visit Perth and book an Airbnb in the suburbs you'd be able to afford, then see if it still works for you.  Maybe it will.

Plenty of bogans to go round where I am currently 🙂

Yep I’m sure we’ll do a tour of many parts of the country and see if anywhere suits hopefully 

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

You can always buy something less shiny often with a bigger block if you're prepared to sacrifice all mod cons. You have to buy within your budget and do it up as you go. 

I'd have agreed with you 5-10 years ago, but now that's what everyone's doing - no one wants to live in those lego-brick houses if they can avoid it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I'd have agreed with you 5-10 years ago, but now that's what everyone's doing - no one wants to live in those lego-brick houses if they can avoid it!

Definitely. I'm not convinced about having a house built, knowing tradies here.  I  can envisage ever  mounting costs and time delays. My partner wants to go that way, but I'm preferring something newly built. I think older houses  need to be labeled proceed with caution. 

1 hour ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Definitely. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Definitely. I'm not convinced about having a house built, knowing tradies here.  I  can envisage ever  mounting costs and time delays. My partner wants to go that way, but I'm preferring something newly built. I think older houses  need to be labeled proceed with caution. 

Don’t write off an older property. They throw them up these days and perhaps not built to same quality and standards? A 90s build looks modern enough still. Our house is 70s built modernised property and we’ve lived here happily for 10 years with minimal maintenance (touch wood) We are on 760sqm. They flog blocks in our neighbourhood and put 3 units on them. 

Agree with caution re building right now. Costs are sky rocketing. Delays with our build which are not so much of a problem for us but glad we got it organised when we did. 

A lot of older property just needs cosmetic work done, to turn into something quite special. You’d get all the relevant inspections done pre sale anyway. 

Edited by HappyHeart

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

Don’t write off an older property. They throw them up these days and perhaps not built to same quality and standards? A 90s build looks modern enough still. Our house is 70s built modernised property and we’ve lived here happily for 10 years with minimal maintenance (touch wood) Were on 760sqm. They flog blocks in our neighbourhood and put 3 units on them. 

I know what you mean. The whole sorry business of real estate has become something of a minefield. So much is simply over inflated and frankly not worth entertaining. That's the reason, I'm being hesitant. We've actually put in a bid at an action and submitted another offer only to have both rejected. Well auction did not reach minimum asking price. Both offers were very substantial amounts. I could buy a small chateau in France for less . I suppose it depends what outrageous price someone is willing to pay for what is after all a roof over one's head.