Grandson to come and live with us, but how?

Sammielou

Hi

Our grandson, who is 12 and currently lives in the uk, for personal reasons needs to come and live with us, we have no idea where to start with the visa process, we are permanent residents.

if anyone can help where we look initially it will be of great help.

38 minutes ago, Sammielou said:

Hi

Our grandson, who is 12 and currently lives in the uk, for personal reasons needs to come and live with us, we have no idea where to start with the visa process, we are permanent residents.

if anyone can help where we look initially it will be of great help.

Talk to  a registered agent. Student visa is the first one that springs to mind but you'd be paying international student fees for his education and that is mega bucks. But at the moment students aren't being allowed in anyway. Would his parents able him to leave even if you could get a visa? 

3 minutes ago, Sammielou said:

He would be coming to live with us on a permanent basis from the Uk as his only remaining relatives. 

You will certainly need the help of an agent, so I suggest getting in touch with Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda immediately.

Under normal circumstances, you would probably get a tourist visa to bring your grandson to Australia and then start the long-term process, but Covid makes even that complicated.  So get on to an agent to get the ball rolling asap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sammielou said:

He would be coming to live with us on a permanent basis from the Uk as his only remaining relatives. 

I am sorry, he has no parents?  There may be some special case for an orphan going to live with their only grandparents but one of the agents will know for sure.

9 hours ago, Quoll said:

I am sorry, he has no parents?  There may be some special case for an orphan going to live with their only grandparents but one of the agents will know for sure.

There Is (or at least there used to be) a visa specifically for cases like this, an orphan visa. I can't remember the details now but an agent advised me of it when I realised that if anything happened to my family in the UK I might end up as legal guardian to the kids.

Definitely one to do with professional help.

Fairly sure this is the one https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/orphan-relative-117

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 2