Sydney property

10 hours ago, nomadiccarpenter said:

Or maybe a 200K marina berth I see accidentally pop up in my searches. Anyone ever owned one as a rental investment? Not planning on it myself, just curious.

We have friends with boats in Hillaries Marina. Berths cost a lot and the number of times that they take the boats out seem hardly worth it to me. You could pay for an awful lot of ferry rides to Rotto, just for the cost of the berth, let alone the boat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

We have friends with boats in Hillaries Marina. Berths cost a lot and the number of times that they take the boats out seem hardly worth it to me. You could pay for an awful lot of ferry rides to Rotto, just for the cost of the berth, let alone the boat.

Agreed. I'd imagine it would be better to own a berth strictly to rent it out.

• 2 months later...
On 27/06/2021 at 04:02, nomadiccarpenter said:

I didn't need a job offer but I do have to live and work in New South Wales for two years before I can move anywhere else. Just part of the standard 190 requirements. I'm going for duel citizenship eventually so trying to be very cautious.

I've only spent a total of three weeks in Sydney in the past. There's definitely a lot to love but it felt more intense than Brisbane. I feel like I gotta be hustlin' to stay alive. People were in a hurry. It reminded me of big US cities in that way. My impression could change once I live in different suburbs and maybe the city will grow on me more. I'm still very excited about living there, hopefully soon.

People I meet either love or hate Surfer's Paradise. It's definitely not for surfers. My flat mate called it "Shopper's Paradise." I didn't mind it, but there were other areas around Gold Coast I liked a lot more. Brisbane felt just right to me as far as size and the pace of life. Also did some work in Redcliffe. That was nice. Very family-oriented community there.

My brother likes Redcliffe though he's since gone back to Surfers again. I've not been there.  I did look on the map and wondered how long it weighs take to commute to the CBD? Brisbane may be smaller than Sydney but it's still a big city. Perth had a slower pace but I'm not sure about Brisbane. Nicer climate in winter than Sydney but no city beaches like Sydney. On the other hand you have the Goldie and Sunshine Coasts. I hate commuting. It looks like it has a similar location to the Northern Beaches in Sydney? The one time I went to Brisbane from Surfers and in the middle of the day I hated the drive. 

27th June you posted. The 2nd day of lockdown and the last day I had a drink. It's my 84th day without a drink and the 86th day of lockdown I think.  Maybe another month before the lockdown is lifted but who knows when border will be open into Qld? After the NRL Grand Final? The Goldie hoteliers would like it open before Xmas. I MIGHT go over Xmas but rates shoot up.

On 19/09/2021 at 08:42, MARYROSE02 said:

My brother likes Redcliffe though he's since gone back to Surfers again. I've not been there.  I did look on the map and wondered how long it weighs take to commute to the CBD? Brisbane may be smaller than Sydney but it's still a big city. Perth had a slower pace but I'm not sure about Brisbane. Nicer climate in winter than Sydney but no city beaches like Sydney. On the other hand you have the Goldie and Sunshine Coasts. I hate commuting. It looks like it has a similar location to the Northern Beaches in Sydney? The one time I went to Brisbane from Surfers and in the middle of the day I hated the drive. 

27th June you posted. The 2nd day of lockdown and the last day I had a drink. It's my 84th day without a drink and the 86th day of lockdown I think.  Maybe another month before the lockdown is lifted but who knows when border will be open into Qld? After the NRL Grand Final? The Goldie hoteliers would like it open before Xmas. I MIGHT go over Xmas but rates shoot up.

While Brisbane lacked "ocean beaches", there is access to lots of nature and of course South Bank beach was always nice for a quick dip. I guess it technically has beaches but they are all along bays and rivers. I worked in Redcliffe on a casual gig. It was a bit of a ways but I've had worse. Was a nice quaint town. I would probably want to invest/live in South Brisbane as I like to surf and have better accessibility to Gold Coast. As of now, I'm thinking of going ahead and investing in property in Brisbane next year (pending my visa grant) and work my two years in or around Sydney, renting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nomadiccarpenter said:

While Brisbane lacked "ocean beaches", there is access to lots of nature and of course South Bank beach was always nice for a quick dip. I guess it technically has beaches but they are all along bays and rivers. I worked in Redcliffe on a casual gig. It was a bit of a ways but I've had worse. Was a nice quaint town. I would probably want to invest/live in South Brisbane as I like to surf and have better accessibility to Gold Coast. As of now, I'm thinking of going ahead and investing in property in Brisbane next year (pending my visa grant) and work my two years in or around Sydney, renting.

Sounds good.  Brisbane had nicer winters than Sydney? "Question mark" because I don't actually know.  I do know that Gold Coast winters are nicer than Sydney though.

Every city has its pros and cons.  My other brother lives near Camden which is 55km from me which means Bondi/Clovelly/Bronte etc are 60km away. He's may be closer to Wollongong beaches.  He rarely goes to the beach now.

I've no idea when I will get a chance to go to QLD. On Sky they reckon both WA and QLD will keep the borders closed till after the next General Election so the Liberals are restricted from campaigning there.  If those states are going for 90 % or zero Covid-19 then they will never reopen.

On 25/09/2021 at 18:31, MARYROSE02 said:

Sounds good.  Brisbane had nicer winters than Sydney? "Question mark" because I don't actually know.  I do know that Gold Coast winters are nicer than Sydney though.

Every city has its pros and cons.  My other brother lives near Camden which is 55km from me which means Bondi/Clovelly/Bronte etc are 60km away. He's may be closer to Wollongong beaches.  He rarely goes to the beach now.

I've no idea when I will get a chance to go to QLD. On Sky they reckon both WA and QLD will keep the borders closed till after the next General Election so the Liberals are restricted from campaigning there.  If those states are going for 90 % or zero Covid-19 then they will never reopen.

If by nicer, you mean warmer, yes. Although I only spent two winters in Brisbane. It was warmer than Sydney with more humidity. I still wore a light jacket some nights but could have survived easily without it. Just wanted to look good on the ferry! Looks like NSW is progressing well with the vaccinations. I've been avoiding the news because it was making this visa wait drag on more than it already was. It's healthy to get a break from all the doom scrolling.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 07:31, MARYROSE02 said:

I reckon Mark McGowan will be planning to open up, nationally at least, around Christmas. There'll be checks and probably quarantine for visitors though. Don't think it will be long quarantine, test at the airport and quarantine till results come out.

McGowan doesn't like predictions and promises that he may be forced to back away from.

He doesn't have much opposition politically here in WA, the liberals are a shambles.

Federally though I think most would support the current government over Labor, whether borders open or not.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

I reckon Mark McGowan will be planning to open up, nationally at least, around Christmas.

It will be interesting to see.  Bear in mind that although NSW and Victoria are opening up, it doesn't mean Delta is dying out.   They're hoping NSW is over the peak now and numbers will steady or reduce, but I'm not convinced myself.  As for Victoria, they're worried about hospitals being overwhelmed.   If NSW and Victoria still have thousands of cases by Christmas and have had several hundred deaths, I wonder if he'll be so keen to open up. 

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It will be interesting to see.  Bear in mind that although NSW and Victoria are opening up, it doesn't mean Delta is dying out.   They're hoping NSW is over the peak now and numbers will steady or reduce, but I'm not convinced myself.  As for Victoria, they're worried about hospitals being overwhelmed.   If NSW and Victoria still have thousands of cases by Christmas and have had several hundred deaths, I wonder if he'll be so keen to open up. 

If he does there'll be some serious checks on whether you're virus free and vaccined. Don't know about the road crossings, that border might stay closed for a while. 

Flights are easier to handle.