North to South

How long before it felt normal to live in Australia

Hi,

I'm now five months in to living in Adelaide and it now feels normal and I just wondered how long before the magic and excitement left people after first arriving before it felt like normal life.

For me the first few months were wow, wow, wow, look at that, go here, go there, see that etc etc but now it's just normal.  Driving my daughter to school I used to marvel at the view across Adelaide on the journey, but now it's just, that looks nice today.   I only feel that I'm living in a different place when I visit somewhere I've not been before, or see something new.

Don't get me wrong, I love living here, even in this colder weather as we're doing so much more than in England, especially at weekends, but it just feels normal now and not sure if I was expecting that to come so soon.

Be good to hear other peoples experiences on their first few months.

I'm not sure what you expected?   

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 hours ago, North to South said:

Hi,

I'm now five months in to living in Adelaide and it now feels normal and I just wondered how long before the magic and excitement left people after first arriving before it felt like normal life.

For me the first few months were wow, wow, wow, look at that, go here, go there, see that etc etc but now it's just normal.  Driving my daughter to school I used to marvel at the view across Adelaide on the journey, but now it's just, that looks nice today.   I only feel that I'm living in a different place when I visit somewhere I've not been before, or see something new.

Don't get me wrong, I love living here, even in this colder weather as we're doing so much more than in England, especially at weekends, but it just feels normal now and not sure if I was expecting that to come so soon.

Difficult to remember when the 'novelty' wore off, maybe a year? 

It felt 'normal' as in not like we were on holiday or feeling unsettled extremely quickly, say 6 weeks? 

Still have moments when I pinch myself with the views driving home from work along the coast or in otherwise spectacular spot or everyday situation. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

It felt 'normal' as in not like we were on holiday or feeling unsettled extremely quickly, say 6 weeks? 

Still have moments when I pinch myself with the views driving home from work along the coast or in otherwise spectacular spot or everyday situation. 

I agree.

18 years here, and I drive home by the sea on the way back from shopping and think  ‘I love living here’!! Went for a walk along Mooloolaba beach front today,  a cold but glorious glorious day, sparkling sea, a yacht race in the distance, everyone out walking, a few brave people in the sea, and thought I only live 8 minutes from here. There is so much going on here you never need to be bored. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5

Nearly 60 years on and am  still in awe at the wonderful sights, be it when  fishing, looking at the southern Whitsundays, or in the desert, looking at an impossibly blue sky, or, the vastness of it all, let alone the magnificent and unique wildlife.

Bugga! Getting dewy eyed...😂

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Similar to us, I still love the journey into the city along the river.  It probably took us about 10 months to feel  as if we'd stood still (we were on a break in Busso) and I remember thinking that it was the first time since arriving that everything felt in order.

• Like 3

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

5 hours ago, Bobj said:

Nearly 60 years on and am  still in awe at the wonderful sights, be it when  fishing, looking at the southern Whitsundays, or in the desert, looking at an impossibly blue sky, or, the vastness of it all, let alone the magnificent and unique wildlife.

Cheers, Bobj.

This morning's fishing trip and the islands

Islands.thumb.JPG.aacfe6d58bf04dc4c1cde406a3ab35b8.JPG

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 4

Hard to explain but for me it never seems "normal" because nothing is typical or usual. Forty five yrs of UK "normality" can't be deleted from ones consciousness by 26yrs here IYKWIM. Every day is new for me. Having had two life threatening health situations, nothing has felt "normal" since.

• Like 3

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

On 10/06/2021 at 15:04, North to South said:

Hi,

Hahaha I know what you mean but as I've always said life is life, you still have to go to work, you still have bills to pay and you still have the kids to sort out.

We usually get down to the beach a couple of times a week, just to remind us where we are.

• Like 1

For me, I came with zero expectations other than hopefully being able to do fieldwork without my fingers freezing off.  As I had citizenship from birth I didn't have to go through the visa process or anything, just decided to move and a couple of months later there I was - maybe as it wasn't a hassle for me I don't have the same appreciation of the emotional load emigration has on people.

Ultimately it's another first world country with much the same advantages and disadvantages. I still have to work, pay the bills and go to the toilet.  It's always been as normal as the UK, just with more things that bite.  My parents were also ping-pongers and we moved back and forth to the UK several times; Australia therefore has never had a particular cachet for me - just somewhere I spent several years in as a kid and now live.

• Like 1

insta #tabradders
Fine art landscape and portrait photography.  And occasionally fannying around with ultra-macro when I should be working.

On 11/06/2021 at 04:15, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Don’t forget the amazing night sky with no light pollution 

• Like 2

On 10/06/2021 at 15:34, North to South said:

Hi,

That's great, isn't it? It means that you are adapting well to your new live down under, rather than hankering for what you left behind in the UK 🙂 

To use that rather unflattering expression; "same sh*t, different day" - it pretty much sums it up if you're still working. That said, we're currently in the depths of winter, and knowing that at lunchtime I can sit outside and enjoy my sandwiches in the sun - that kind of thing has never lost it's novelty to me - even after 18 years here. I think there are things we come to accept as being normal here, but they are far from normal when compared to life back in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/06/2021 at 21:56, Lavers said:

Hahaha I know what you mean but as I've always said life is life, you still have to go to work, you still have bills to pay and you still have the kids to sort out.

We usually get down to the beach a couple of times a week, just to remind us where we are.

We didn't have children when we first arrived and I think buying/building our own house then having a couple of children made life seem "normal".  I hated renting.  Been here 40 years this year so I've lived in Australia longer than I've lived anywhere else.  As you say, no matter where you live you just have to get on with the nitty gritty of everyday life.  

I started work the week we arrived - so did my husband - everything seemed to be happening so quickly that I didn't have time to feel homesick though of course there were a few pangs.  We also moved from Sydney to Perth then after babies and new house - moved back to Sydney.  All a bit of blur now.  😀

Hope you and your wife and daughters are settling OK.

• Like 3