Clair

Moving Home and Passports

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following:

I'm planning on returning to live in England after 22years in Perth, Australia. I have both an old Great Britain passport (the blue one) which expired in 2001 and an Australian passport (which expired in 2015).

Will I need to renew both passports to relocate back home or can I pay for just one passpost renewal? Do I need a special visa? I'm really confused, especially with the covid-19 situation.

If anyone would be so kind as to help me I would be so grateful!!

Cheers, Clair 🙂

Strictly speaking, you should leave Australia on your Australian passport and enter the UK on your British one.   However, we've had many members who've never bothered renewing their British passport and have travelled back and forth repeatedly with no problems over the years..

However, with Covid, and never knowing when borders are going to be closed or restricted to citizens or who knows what,  I would just bite the bullet and renew both to be on the safe side.  Once you've got them, you'll have one less thing to stress about.  

You dont need any visa to enter the UK, just show your passport.  You will need to apply to Australia for a travel exemption of course, and be sure to supply plenty of proof that you're moving permanently.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Strictly speaking, you should leave Australia on your Australian passport and enter the UK on your British one.   However, we've had many members who've never bothered renewing their British passport and have travelled back and forth repeatedly with no problems over the years..

However, with Covid, and never knowing when borders are going to be closed or restricted to citizens or who knows what,  I would just bite the bullet and renew both to be on the safe side.  Once you've got them, you'll have one less thing to stress about.  

You dont need any visa to enter the UK, just show your passport.  You will need to apply to Australia for a travel exemption of course, and be sure to supply plenty of proof that you're moving permanently.

Hi Clair,

Take Marisawright's advice and re new both. 

When applying for your exemption, make sure you send a STAT DEC. We now have our's, after a refusal. We fly back to the UK this July.

Good luck with your planning 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perth WA  / UK / Queensland

Thank you so much both of you. I did feel that renewing both during this time with covid was the best way and you have both confirmed it for me. Thank you!!

Sorry to ask but how do I apply for an exception to leave?

Cheers, Clair.x

5 hours ago, Clair said:

Thank you so much both of you. I did feel that renewing both during this time with covid was the best way and you have both confirmed it for me. Thank you!!

Sorry to ask but how do I apply for an exception to leave?

Cheers, Clair.x

Hi Clair, go to website - covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au

Here you will find all the criteria, form, and how to apply.

• Thanks 1

Perth WA  / UK / Queensland

@Clair, as Ali says, it's all on the website. This is the link: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

You want to apply under the category "you are travelling for urgent or unavoidable personal business".  Your personal business is that you are relocating permanently.   

If you need to make a statutory declaration, here's the best form to use:

https://www.ag.gov.au/legal-system/publications/commonwealth-statutory-declaration-form

You'll need to get it witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, ring your local library or council to find one (there's no charge).

However the most important thing is to attach proof, such as notice to your employer, notice to your landlord/evidence you've put your house on the market, a quote for shipping your belongings.  They recommend you don't book flights until you've got the exemption. 

One question I can't answer - I'm assuming the exemption will be linked to your passport, so I don't know whether it would confuse matters if you applied for the exemption before you renew your Australian passport. Might be better to do the passport first?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Wow!! I truly had no idea of all the red tape.

Thank you so much to everyone that has taken the time to help me. I truly appreciate it 🙂