Are we defacto

Chelsearoxanna

Hello. 

asking for a friend.  My partner and I were together for two years in England and broke up when I moved to Australia  we have recently got back together and visited eachother. Do we count as a defacto or do we need to register our relationship? Qld based  

thank you. 

9 hours ago, Chelsearoxanna said:

Hello. 

asking for a friend.  My partner and I were together for two years in England and broke up when I moved to Australia  we have recently got back together and visited eachother. Do we count as a defacto or do we need to register our relationship? Qld based  

thank you. 

No where near enough information to answer that question sensibly, I’m afraid. 

Although there are no stereotypes, it should be a serious long term relationship demonstrable from many angles with solid evidence.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/supporting/Pages/evidence-of-relationship.aspx

Having been apart recently doesn’t bode well.  Have a read of the criteria on the website, your comments make it sound as if the relationship might be quite casual but wouldn’t want to jump to conclusions based on 1 or 2 sentences.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/supporting/Pages/evidence-of-relationship.aspx

On 03/06/2021 at 21:48, Chelsearoxanna said:

My partner and I were together for two years in England and broke up when I moved to Australia  we have recently got back together and visited eachother. Do we count as a defacto or do we need to register our relationship? Qld based  

"De facto" means "the equivalent of marriage" - the only difference is you didn't have a ceremony.  Just dating doesn't count.  So your first job is to work out the exact date when you both decided you felt the equivalent of "married" and see if you can find evidence to prove that date (e.g. you moved in together so you have a signed lease, you had a big party so you have friends' statements).  That date is when you count your de facto relationship from. 

If you broke up, then you were no longer in the relationship, so you can't count the time you were together before. 

You should register your relationship anyway, but even if you're registered, you'll still have to prove the relationship is genuine and long-term.

On 03/06/2021 at 12:48, Chelsearoxanna said:

Hello. 

thank you. 

I’d say you’re not.  It sounds like your relationship failed and you went your separate ways.  Fast forward, you’ve decided to give it another go at working, boyfriend/girlfriend that sounds like. 

• Like 1