Migration experts

Samkay864

On 03/06/2021 at 06:24, Samkay864 said:

Hi there,

my husband and I are looking for a migration expert to start the process of moving to Australia. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good migration expert?

many thanks,

Sam

HI Sam

There are literally 7,000 Registered Migration Agents to choose from. Your first step is to ensure who you choose is registered, which means they have to adhere to a strict Code of Conduct and have PI insurance. Experience is also important as is depth to the business. By this I mean, while you may have one primary point of contact, that person is supported by a team of migration professionals who can support you each step of the way. You may also wish to seek out an agent with specific expertise in the type of visa which you may wish to apply for.

The best advice I could offer is to avail yourself of a free consultation so you can determine if you are comfortable with the RMA. Most of these consultations require you to fill in a preliminary online questionnaire so the agent you will be speaking with, will have some basic information in front of them to narrow down which visa pathways might be suitable for you.

I hope this helps.

On 08/06/2021 at 13:03, wrussell said:

Overseas 'agents' do not have to be registered nor do Australian lawyers who are permitted to offer migration advice, even of they know nothing about it. 

Just to clarify...

You are correct that individuals offshore do not have to be registered, however if you use them, you have no recourse if things go pear shaped, you have no assurance they are up to date with legislation and regular migration changes, or have certainty they even have access to the relevant legislation and the policy. It is a pre-condition of registration that RMA's maintain a professional library. Also, you have no protection regarding the funds paid to them and they are not required to adhere to the code of conduct which is very prescriptive re the requirements for handling client funds. RMAs also have to undertake mandatory CPD.

Likewise, lawyers, just like Registered Migration Agents have to demonstrate their competency to advise on aspects of immigration they are being asked about. Otherwise, they have a duty to refer the work to someone who does.