Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

10 hours ago, newjez said:

I used to love it, and then suddenly a year or so ago I stopped liking it. Don't know if they changed the recipe or something.

But I've always got time for a flake, or that one like a coated flake. Think it's a ripple.

A coated flake could be a twirl or a ripple. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newjez said:

Does rosemary actually taste of anything? I always add it to lamb, but I don't know if it actually gives it flavour.

Possibly it's been washed of by the thin mint sauce. I'm not sure.

I do like lamb in garlic. But then I like anything in garlic.

Rosemary is so versatile and very pungent I think. I've got a very large amount in my garden. I always fail with mint though, unsure why. It goes woody and dies off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

Proper mint sauce. The only mint sauce worthy of gracing a proper British/Au/NZ lamb roast made with British mint no less!! 🤣🤣

(See what you started @Johndoe)

99D882C3-4693-412F-88FF-29D9ABB277BB.jpeg

I have to say it looks an awful lot better than the ones I've seen on the supermarket shelves here.  Husband would still make his own though.  😁

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Rosemary is so versatile and very pungent I think. I've got a very large amount in my garden. I always fail with mint though, unsure why. It goes woody and dies off. 

I've just planted an new rosemary shrub as the old one was getting very straggly and woody.  Yes mint does the same but it's easy to pull out and replant with fresh stuff.  I share a herb garden with 4 neighbours so it's well used and constantly being replanted with fresh plants.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I always fail with mint though, unsure why. It goes woody and dies off. 

Mint likes damp, partly shaded spots and tolerates cold conditions well.  So maybe Perth is a bit too hot and dry?  It goes feral here in Tassie.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've just planted an new rosemary shrub as the old one was getting very straggly and woody.  Yes mint does the same but it's easy to pull out and replant with fresh stuff.  I share a herb garden with 4 neighbours so it's well used and constantly being replanted with fresh plants.

Maybe it is best kept in a pot.

I bought 2 rosemary plants years ago which supposedly are from Gallipoli. They grow huge if left to their own devices.

IMG_20210603_113940.jpg

Edited by Parley
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Parley said:

Cordial is for kids in primary school.

LOL..My hubby drink the Coltees Orange squash/cordial. He doesnt drink any tea/coffee ,not much alcohol and not much fizzy so he uses it as an option to water. I have tried buying a few different brands and this is the only one he likes. Every now and again i but Ribena as he likes that too.

Cal x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Proper mint sauce. The only mint sauce worthy of gracing a proper British/Au/NZ lamb roast made with British mint no less!! 🤣🤣

(See what you started @Johndoe)

99D882C3-4693-412F-88FF-29D9ABB277BB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Cordial is for kids in primary school.

Agree

Just now, Ken said:

The Cadbury version is the Cadbury Twirl but the Galaxy Ripple was around first so if that's the name newjez remembers that's probably the one.

I think Aldi had them recently.  Never heard of them myself. 

15 hours ago, newjez said:

Does rosemary actually taste of anything? I always add it to lamb, but I don't know if it actually gives it flavour.

Possibly it's been washed of by the thin mint sauce. I'm not sure.

I do like lamb in garlic. But then I like anything in garlic.

I don’t like the taste of rosemary.  I’m probably unusual but I think it’s horrible and spoils lamb or anything else it’s added to. 

Edited by Tulip1

41 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I don’t like the taste of rosemary.  I’m probably unusual but I think it’s horrible and spoils lamb or anything else it’s added to. 

Fresh rosemary over baking vegetables while cooking, yum. If I am roasting potatoes I always use a mix of fresh rosemary, Cajun spice, a little garlic, then salt and pepper.  MMmmmmm!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Fresh rosemary over baking vegetables while cooking, yum. If I am roasting potatoes I always use a mix of fresh rosemary, Cajun spice, a little garlic, then salt and pepper.  MMmmmmm!

I know it’s popular and if I was served it I’d eat it.  I don’t hate it that much but I just don’t really like it. The smell and taste just doesn’t do it for me.  I’ve been served it many times over the years, on lamb, roast potatoes etc and always think this would be much nicer without the rosemary. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skani said:

Mint likes damp, partly shaded spots and tolerates cold conditions well.  So maybe Perth is a bit too hot and dry?  It goes feral here in Tassie.

Maybe I let it dry out too much. I’ll try the next lot in the part shade and see how it goes over winter maybe. I find as soon as I start harvesting it it dies a death. Same with basil 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Our mint spreads like a weed. Dies off in winter, always back in spring.

Our rosemary is the worse for wear as I accidentally pulled some up. I have some cuttings, so I may try and propagate it. Rosemary can get out of control too.

Chives have gone to flower. Can you eat the flower?

We have basil, corriander, and parsley and time growing in pots as well.

Four different varieties of tomatoes, parsnips, and lettuce I grow in the conservatory. I don't like the idea of slugs getting on it.

Edited by newjez

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

I think Aldi had them recently.  Never heard of them myself. 

Well they were only launched in 1969. Probably a little new fangled for you but I certainly remember them from the sweetshops of my childhood.

1 minute ago, Ken said:

Well they were only launched in 1969. Probably a little new fangled for you but I certainly remember them from the sweetshops of my childhood.

We escaped in 1967.  Must keep an eye out for them..

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Our mint spreads like a weed. Dies off in winter, always back in spring.

Our rosemary is the worse for wear as I accidentally pulled some up. I have some cuttings, so I may try and propagate it. Rosemary can get out of control too.

Chives have gone to flower. Can you eat the flower?

We have basil, corriander, and parsley and time growing in pots as well.

Four different varieties of tomatoes, parsnips, and lettuce I grow in the conservatory. I don't like the idea of slugs getting on it.

Rosemary is easy to propagate. My husband established a hedge from cuttings. He just puts them into glass bottles in water in the sun till they sprout then plants them in pots. Once a bit bigger into the ground. 

• Like 3