Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I remember when they tried it one year when I was at school.   It was horrendous.

Think what it's like for children in Scandanavia.  They make up for it during summer but it must be pretty bleak during winter.

On 01/06/2021 at 18:31, Dusty Plains said:

Actually the standard is reversed. Pre-Covid there had been an army of Europeans, Asian and North Americans mostly coming to Australia for road trips and camping and holidaying. Yes there was at one time whereby young Aussies and Kiwis flocked to the UK and Europe seeking out the Volkswagen Camper bus. Yet that was way back then. There a very few VW campers on the road today. The new standard includes campervans, camper trailers and caravans, the latter  with toilet, shower,air con, and solar panels which basically keep you powered up almost indefinitely. I had a 1974 VW 1.8L camper and it never had those features.

Now however, locals and internationals had flocked ( Pre-Covid) to Australia given that you could camp in over 3000 free designated camping sites, some with basic facilities and others with more up market facilities  and you could travel 4000kms (the distance from London to the Ural Mountains 1000kms west of Moscow as an example in European terms)) without the need to encounter language issues, passports, customs or traffic.

I am just wondering whether or not that, due to Brexit ( and Covid), those halcyon days scooting across Europe in a campervan out of the UK, will continue.

I fully endorse your point. While the days of Aussie/Kiwi's/Saffies doing Europe in camper vans has become a part of history, still know Europeans that take to the highways and back roads of Europe , admittingly in well decked out vans. The diversity in language, culture but still pass port free travel is a big part of the attraction. There's a lot of Europe and North Africa and Turkey of course. Australia/New Zealand offer something else. A number of the same people's kids have done it, in some cases the parents as well. Both offer a different experience. America, being the other really big one of course. 

I expect with a three month visa entry into EU there will still be Brit's  crossing the Continent. How many in camper vans though not sure. It could be a lapse of memory, but don't recall that many from the past. Most were German or Dutch(especially). Quite a few French.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 11:22, Quoll said:

Lots!

My son and grandson.  Walking around in history - love castles and cathedrals and their stories.  The weather. Variety in pretty much everything in such a small space - the countryside, the supermarkets, entertainment options.  Trains. Seasons. Food especially meat from our village butcher, not to mention his sausages. Wool shops and wool shows. The friendliness of the people and their sense of humour. The NHS. Decent affordable second hand cars.

Yes on all, especially decent affordable second hand cars! 

Crisps

That aisle with pasties, sausage rolls, scotch eggs and ginsters slices in. 

Birdseye potato waffles

Cod fish fingers

People being able to park a car in reverse 

Crisps

Sport, that actually matters, being on at a reasonable time

Various swear words that aren’t used here

Supermarket breadth of range

M&S sandwiches

People understanding my jokes

Crisps

*I'm aware my list looks like half was done by an adult, and half by a child

Edited by Dan Not Dale
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 29/05/2021 at 23:40, Parley said:

Is it an airing cupboard because the hot water tank is in the cupboard ?

While i guess having a warm cupboard is handy it seems risky having the hot water tank inside the home. When it dies you could have a major flood. Mine is on an outside wall at the side of the house.

Yes the hot water tank is in the cupboard and with English weather it’s very handy to dry things.   I did have a leak on my tank a few years ago and had it replaced. Just a tiny leak, I noticed inside was wet and called a plumber.  Thankfully no mess but I guess it could have been a real mess if bigger or missed.  I got a new one rather than a repair so I hopefully don’t have any problems for many years. 

4 hours ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Crisps

Birdseye potato waffles

Cod fish fingers

Crisps

M&S sandwiches

Crisps

*I'm aware my list looks like half was done by an adult, and half by a child

Good post

4 hours ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Crisps

Birdseye potato waffles

Crisps

M&S sandwiches

Crisps

Edited your list for things I have literally enjoyed in the past week!  Eeek!

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 08:40, Parley said:

Is it an airing cupboard because the hot water tank is in the cupboard ?

While i guess having a warm cupboard is handy it seems risky having the hot water tank inside the home. When it dies you could have a major flood. Mine is on an outside wall at the side of the house.

17 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes the hot water tank is in the cupboard and with English weather it’s very handy to dry things.   I did have a leak on my tank a few years ago and had it replaced. Just a tiny leak, I noticed inside was wet and called a plumber.  Thankfully no mess but I guess it could have been a real mess if bigger or missed.  I got a new one rather than a repair so I hopefully don’t have any problems for many years. 

You can't have a hot water tank outside in the UK. The pipes would freeze in winter. Sure the water leak would be outside but it would be way more expensive due to the frequency. In Canada (and other really cold parts of the world) you can't even have pipework inside an outside wall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Went out for early dinner last night to a local pub (school night) They turned the lights off on us (accidentally) at 9.15 😂 Gotta love suburban Perth nightlife 😂

If they tried that here they’d be lynched!  Our favourite restaurant Kita, opens at 6:00 pm and closes at noon the next day.  Far more civilised…

4 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Went out for early dinner last night to a local pub (school night) They turned the lights off on us (accidentally) at 9.15 😂 Gotta love suburban Perth nightlife 😂

At a local pub? And the lights went out?

I think the WA birthrate might just have spiked ..........😍 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

What still out after eight o'clock at night in Perth Suburbia . No wonder the lights were turned off. Way past bed time for the normal suburbanite. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

A good day for finding British imports. Reject shop had a lot of Tesco stuff at cheap prices, all in date....then Farmer Jacks and some imported choc and crisps....

20210626_125154.jpg

20210626_150919.jpg

We live in Hooterville (not the actual name but you can probably guess). The local Reject Shop is brimming with Tesco and other UK delights on the shelves. 

• Like 2

Just discovered a load of Brit stuff on Amazon. Ordered 6 jars of my fave heinz sandwich spread, 6 jars of shippams crab paste, 4 boxes of Paxo, 2 jars of cockles, 2 Golden Fry yorkshire pudding mix, 2 heinz ploughmans pickle, and 2 atora shredded suet (can't wait to have some dumplings).

Some of the stuff was a silly price but everything on my list was well priced and free postage

Not British but ordered 8 packs of Lavazza mode mio coffee capsules (which came the following day) at $6 a pack when they're $11 in coles and woolies

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

A good day for finding British imports. Reject shop had a lot of Tesco stuff at cheap prices, all in date....then Farmer Jacks and some imported choc and crisps....

20210626_125154.jpg

20210626_150919.jpg

Pickled onion monster munch, very nice 

On 30/05/2021 at 04:54, Bulya said:

Southern Region steam locomotives.  Everything else is better here if one bothers to look…

Can’t you just let people prefer the UK? Or even elements of it? Or miss it, a bit? It’s ridiculous. 

Edited by Antipodista
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2021 at 17:35, Bulya said:

If they tried that here they’d be lynched!  Our favourite restaurant Kita, opens at 6:00 pm and closes at noon the next day.  Far more civilised…

Restaurants don't want you hogging the table all night though. I think staying for an hour should be about the maximum.

Going for an 'early dinner' and still being there at 9:15pm is not great for the restaurant is it. They probably hope to sit a new group down at 8pm or so.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Parley said:

Restaurants don't want you hogging the table all night though. I think staying for an hour should be about the maximum.

Going for an 'early dinner' and still being there at 9:15pm is not great for the restaurant is it. They probably hope to sit a new group down at 8pm or so.

Lucky to get an amuse-bouche and entree in an hour. We’re not taking about Macca’s here…  

50 minutes ago, Antipodista said:

Can’t you just let people prefer the UK? Or even elements of it? Or miss it, a bit? It’s ridiculous. 

I've been on this forum for 6 years or so   ..............  can't remember when I joined   ....... and I was flabbergasted at first at how it wasn't possible to praise either the UK or Australia without having someone shoot you down.  The sheer narrow mindedness was mind blowing.  It is entirely possible to be very fond of both places but some people find that hard to believe.  I got used to all the negative comments over time (about both countries) and as you say it is ridiculous how some folk won't accept that yes, it is perfectly plausible that some people actually do prefer to live in the UK and some people actually do prefer to live in Australia.  No big deal.

I am very fond of both places.  😀

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Toots said:

I've been on this forum for 6 years or so   ..............  can't remember when I joined   ....... and I was flabbergasted at first at how it wasn't possible to praise either the UK or Australia without having someone shoot you down.  The sheer narrow mindedness was mind blowing.  It is entirely possible to be very fond of both places but some people find that hard to believe.  I got used to all the negative comments over time (about both countries) and as you say it is ridiculous how some folk won't accept that yes, it is perfectly plausible that some people actually do prefer to live in the UK and some people actually do prefer to live in Australia.  No big deal.

I am very fond of both places.  😀

I tried that with brexit.

I thought there were some things I liked about the EU, and somethings I didn't like.

Apparently that's not allowed. Fence sitting. Very no no.

You have to support one or the other.

There's no being impartial.