Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Surely that isn't still legal?

What? They've banned bonfire toffee?

Actually it's one of the things I appreciate about Australia. It doesn't feel like walking through a warzone for a week each November (why could they never restrict themselves to just the 5th?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Surely that isn't still legal?

It is.  You can only buy fireworks in the lead up to 5th November and new year but yes, people can let them off in their gardens. Many chose to go to organised displays these days but plenty still do it in their gardens.  

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

It is.  You can only buy fireworks in the lead up to 5th November and new year but yes, people can let them off in their gardens. Many chose to go to organised displays these days but plenty still do it in their gardens.  

The number of young kids in hospital emergency wards and injured and terrified pets became too much for us about 40 years ago.

Not much of a loss really. We get the professional fireworks on New Years Eve and other big events. That is enough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

The number of young kids in hospital emergency wards and injured and terrified pets became too much for us about 40 years ago.

Not much of a loss really. We get the professional fireworks on New Years Eve and other big events. That is enough.

As usual, a handful of idiots spoiling it for the vast majority of people acting responsibly. Not everyone can get to an organized fireworks display - not that there are too many going on at the moment!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I agree.  I was only saying it is still legal, not that it was a great idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parley said:

I think it is an acquired taste. I doubt anyone loves it the first time they tried it. But after a while you learn to love it.

A bit like black coffee. It is worth persevering with.

And don't spread it too thickly. 

Why persevere to make yourself learn to like something you don’t.  I’ll drink black coffee if I have to but I much prefer it with milk. I’m sure I could train myself to get used to it but why would I want to, I like it better with milk.  

• Like 4

Not something I ever missed while in the UK as I had no knowledge of them, but in the last few years, thanks to the computers, I have taken an interest in ancient crop marks, not only UK, but a few other countries, too. A very big plus for Google Maps.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 14:51, newjez said:

They do have the salvation army in Australia.

It’s the brass band playing at Christmas that I miss, as I live on the Sunshine Coast and have never heard them here. I do know the Salvation Army itself is here. 

8 hours ago, ramot said:

It’s the brass band playing at Christmas that I miss, as I live on the Sunshine Coast and have never heard them here. I do know the Salvation Army itself is here. 

My dear old Mum loved brass bands, being an army wife… our local band was the famous Black Dyke Band.

Cheers, Bobj.

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

My dear old Mum loved brass bands, being an army wife… our local band was the famous Black Dyke Band.

Cheers, Bobj.

I was gifted their cover of Wings recordings on vinyl. Buggered if I know what happened to it as I shipped all my vinyl over but can't find it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johndoe said:

I was gifted their cover of Wings recordings on vinyl. Buggered if I know what happened to it as I shipped all my vinyl over but can't find it?

when I lived in Bradford, it was called The Black Dyke Mills Band. That was nearly 60 years ago, Kev.

In Thornton, we had the Black Dyke, but the band originally came from Clayton, across the valley, 'cos they had the mill.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
adding
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Long summer days?! - it's summer here 9 months a year! 😄
…but it’s not light at 10pm in Oz

The further you are from the equator the longer the summer days.  We are further south than the rest of Australia (Tassie) so here we get longer daylight during summertime.  Not as late as you but usually around 9ish.  I often take our pooch to the river walk at 9:30 and can still see where I'm going without the street lights.

Different just now of course.  Dark at 5:30 pm.  I rather enjoy the dark evenings especially when it's wet and windy  .... like it is today.  😀

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Seriously, what’s not to like about extra hours of daylight to enjoy outdoors?

Not in summer.  Far nicer eating outside out on the warm nights with all the lights hung in the tress and around buildings.  Kinda magical 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Seriously, what’s not to like about extra hours of daylight to enjoy outdoors?

The fact that many of the UK's summer daylight hours occur whilst you're still in bed - unless you're a milkman or a baker! 😄 

By contrast we get to enjoy virtually all of our daylight hours here in Australia. Everywhere on earth gets exactly the same amount of daylight over the course of a year, so if you have very long summer days, the downside is those very short winter days.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 5

I loved it in summer (when sunny) I was usually up at 4:30 going out for a run or bike ride.

As you say though winter is long, the run upto Xmas was fine but the minute xmas was over it just seemed a drag.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I loved it in summer (when sunny) I was usually up at 4:30 going out for a run or bike ride.

As you say though winter is long, the run upto Xmas was fine but the minute xmas was over it just seemed a drag.

It's amazing the wildlife you see that time in the morning.

On 02/06/2021 at 17:11, HappyHeart said:

I’m still a Pom in Oz. Old habits die hard....a little taste of home as they say. At least I didn’t get on the 1st plane back because I couldn’t get my Robinson’s cordial....

Someone actually went back because they couldnt get Robinson's Cordial!!!???!!!

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 18:30, calNgary said:

Pg Tips.. i also buy a Tesco brand from the Reject shop that are ok too. Oh Mushy peas too and double deckers and Rolos if on offer/sale,lol.

Cal x

Definately Rolos..... I even named my Chocolate Labrador Rolo!!!

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 09:45, Toots said:

Another useful budget store is Shiploads.  Great for all sorts of bibs and bobs.  Is Shiploads also on the mainland?

Not heard of that in WA.   Mind you there are a lot of shops/products that don't make across the Nullabor in our direction!

On 05/06/2021 at 12:43, Ken said:

Maybe because they've tasted the Vegemite?

Good answer!   Marmite wins for me, and every visitor from UK knew to bring a BIG jar of it with them!    I am almost out, so this covid shit needs to bugger off so my visitors come again!