Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Another useful budget store is Shiploads.  Great for all sorts of bibs and bobs.  Is Shiploads also on the mainland?

Don't think so.  It was founded here by one of the Sypkes family who originally started Chickenfeed (and whose father founded Purity Supermarkets which were taken over by Woolies).  Chickenfeed  was sold to someone else who managed to stuff it up and liquidators took over.  So one of the Sypkes decided to resurrect the same sort of business with a new name.  It (and Chickenfeed in the past) appear to be really successful under their management.

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Isn’t it funny, I admit I miss the Salvation Army brass band playing carols, but I absolutely don’t miss the hysterical build up to Christmas in UK. Why should it be the same here ? it’s a different country!  Children feel the same excitement though, which is important. 

They do have the salvation army in Australia.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Let's face it, that's all there is to look forward to over there at that time of year - followed by three months of damp, dull, darkness!

Before I was married, I did Christmas with Aussie girlfriends' families a couple of times, and I think there's more excitement about their up-and-coming holidays.

Keeps people sane during the winter..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramot said:

Isn’t it funny, I admit I miss the Salvation Army brass band playing carols, but I absolutely don’t miss the hysterical build up to Christmas in UK. Why should it be the same here ? it’s a different country!  Children feel the same excitement though, which is important. 

I love the houses all lit up, we live by a lake, and many of us decorate the side facing it so the lights reflect in the water. There is a street near us that almost every house is decorated and it was such fun going round with my grandsons when they were here for Christmas from UK, on Christmas Eve. Loads of families and people of all ages enjoying the street especially the snow machine.

i know it’s naff, but it is Christmas so who cares.

My son had commented that no one had lit up Christmas trees in their front windows? I pointed out they are almost all downstairs bedrooms at the front here as most are single storey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lavers said:

Agree with you on the run up to Xmas, although we did the Xmas lights here with the kids which they loved.

Long summer days I miss aswell

Long summer days are special. It was my friends birthday the other day and the weather is lovely here at the moment.  I was at work during the day but we met for a walk early evening and took a bottle of wine and some snacks. We was still sitting on a picnic bench at gone 9, still light.  The late nights are lovely for kids too, I remember playing out until late when I was younger.  Sitting in a pub garden in the summer is lovely too.  I was in one last weekend and got a bit sun burnt which doesn’t take much but I was still surprised.  Middle of winter nights when it’s dark at 5 are horrible though. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Am I the only one who thinks Marmite and Vegemite are completely foul? Like 'bread and dripping' - just something that poor people had to eat during the war.

Even the makers of Marmite accept that you either love or hate it. You're definitely not the only one who hates it. However Marmite and Vegemite while similar are not the same. Some people will like both but just because you like one it doesn't mean you'll like the other.

By the way while I'm not sure about bread and dripping, but I remember dripping on hot toast being delicious. Probably dreadfully unhealthy and I haven't eaten it in decades but nevertheless delicious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ken said:

Even the makers of Marmite accept that you either love or hate it. You're definitely not the only one who hates it. However Marmite and Vegemite while similar are not the same. Some people will like both but just because you like one it doesn't mean you'll like the other.

By the way while I'm not sure about bread and dripping, but I remember dripping on hot toast being delicious. Probably dreadfully unhealthy and I haven't eaten it in decades but nevertheless delicious.

It it will probably keep us all going if there's ever another war!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Am I the only one who thinks Marmite and Vegemite are completely foul? Like 'bread and dripping' - just something that poor people had to eat during the war.

No you’re not the only one. I can smell it a mile off when my Aussie girlfriend has it out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I’m not keen but I love twiglets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m not keen but I love twiglets.

I’ve found them in the British section of Coles, I limit myself to  buying 1 packet each visit. Must stop going 5  times a week, only joking!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ken said:

I can only eat it with butter. Horrible without butter. I will eat marmite, but I much prefer Vegemite. Boveril is Acceptable if there really is no other option. It is best on toast with two poached eggs on top. 

8 hours ago, Ken said:

Used to buy bread 'n' drip from the school tuckshop for a penny, (1952)

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

No I dislike both to me it’s like eating cardboard 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

No I dislike both to me it’s like eating cardboard 

I think it is an acquired taste. I doubt anyone loves it the first time they tried it. But after a while you learn to love it.

A bit like black coffee. It is worth persevering with.

And don't spread it too thickly. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I haven't read the whole post from start to finish so maybe someone has said it already, but I'm going to add Bonfire night. Many happy memories in our back garden as a kid, letting off rockets, Catherine wheels, and roman candles - not to mention the baked potatoes and bonfire toffee 😛 

Surely that isn't still legal?