vongole83

Best way to buy a car?

Hi

We are in quarantine in Melb right now and thinking about what comes next. 

We desperately need to sort out a car, and will just hire one for a bit, but it isn't cheap!!

Longer term what are the most common ways people finance car purchases here? In the UK there are a variety of ways to fund it, do things like hire-purchase and PCP exist here? Is there anywhere we can look for good info on this topic?

We are looking at buying a nearly- new family car and have a reasonable budget.

Thanks

You will balk at the horrendous prices of second-hand cars over here, but generally cars fair better because of the drier climate. I normally start on Autotrader to get an idea of prices - Gumtree is also good. When I find what I need, I basically rock up with the cash. My budget was always $5,000, but the last car was $5,500 - inflation is a killer!

You can spend a fortune on a car here and end up with something pretty average. If you want to tie yourself up with finance, then I'm sure you'll have no problem find that once you're employed.

https://www.autotrader.com.au/

• Like 1

The best way to finance your car may be through salary sacrifice with your employer. It’s called novated leasing.and can reduce your tax. 

Cars are horrendously expensive in Australia due to Covid- new cars aren’t being shipped in at anywhere near the normal rate. 

Rather than finance, consider something like Carly or Carbar which will work out much the same cost and buy later when the borders reopen

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

6 hours ago, vongole83 said:

Longer term what are the most common ways people finance car purchases here?

The most common ways - apart from novated leasing mentioned above - are finance loans arranged through the dealer (if buying second hand from a company) or a personal loan from your financial institution.   There is useful information on car loans from the government's official Moneysmart website here:

https://moneysmart.gov.au/loans/car-loans

10 hours ago, vongole83 said:

Hi

We are in quarantine in Melb right now and thinking about what comes next. 

We desperately need to sort out a car, and will just hire one for a bit, but it isn't cheap!!

Longer term what are the most common ways people finance car purchases here? In the UK there are a variety of ways to fund it, do things like hire-purchase and PCP exist here? Is there anywhere we can look for good info on this topic?

We are looking at buying a nearly- new family car and have a reasonable budget.

Thanks

Make sure you do research,

in NSW if the car has over 160.000km or over 10 years no warranty, watch wholesale sellers etc ... do your research, just like back in UK , you have popular brands and unpopular .... 

I have japanese cars, because reliable and better IMO  however in london I had a mondeo and Vectra didnt trust other makes there. 

If you are going to rent a car, might as well buy a cheap old banger for 2k run it into the ground ... hire cars are dead money.

• Like 1

Either peruse Gumtree in your given area (i.e.https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-hervey-bay/l3005249) or simply use carsales.com.au. Also look on your local supermarket notice boards as these can be a good resource.

As far as financing goes, you can go direct to the car dealer for it or better still go to your bank. Either way work out who gives the best deals. There are plenty of 0% fees going around at the moment to entice you in...