Irish Bank Account

Cal2

Hi,

yes, I know this is POMS in OZ and we are POMS, but just thought someone maybe able to point us in the right direction. Son is moving from Australia to Ireland for work - he needs an Irish Bank Account, but we're not sure how to get one set up from here - any advice and which Irish Banks are reasonable (I was going to say good, but they're Banks lol). He does have UK and Australian accounts

TIA

Caroline

26 minutes ago, Cal2 said:

Hi,

yes, I know this is POMS in OZ and we are POMS, but just thought someone maybe able to point us in the right direction. Son is moving from Australia to Ireland for work - he needs an Irish Bank Account, but we're not sure how to get one set up from here - any advice and which Irish Banks are reasonable (I was going to say good, but they're Banks lol). He does have UK and Australian accounts

TIA

Caroline

Why can't he set one up when he gets there ?

I suspect (but don't actually know) that as with Banks anywhere else the Irish banks will want him to go into a branch to prove his identity before opening the account.

One thing he can do in advance is open a debit card account with Wise. There's is a $10 fee to get a physical card and a fee if you need to make more than 2 ATM withdrawals (or more than $350/month) and fees for keeping large amounts in the account (more than AUD 23,000 or EUR 15,000) so it's not a permanent solution for his banking but definitely a way to hit the ground running.

7 hours ago, Cal2 said:

Just trying to sort out as much as possible before he moves - we all know how 'busy' emigrating is 

It won’t be that easy setting one up before he moves as they will likely need proof of his address and right now it’s an Australian one.  It will take a very short time to open an account when he gets there.  He can open an account online (probably his only choice right now with Covid) and just scan on his identification and proof of address at the same time. His biggest issue is likely to be that proof of address. If he is renting then his tenancy agreement may be enough but not always.  I can’t help with which ones are the best but I’m sure there will be a selection of good banks. He will probably not set foot in the actual bank, it’s very much a digital world now re banking.  

We'll be doing the reverse journey later this year. When we arrived in Dublin a few years back found the high street banks fairly traditional, and others have said, they all wanted sight of various proofs of address - utility bills, tenancy agreement etc before they'd open us an account. That being said AIB have been very good since we did manage to actually open an account with them. He may have better luck with the likes of Monzo, Starling or Revolut which can all be done online. As someone who moves internationally a fair bit, I've found Monzo to be very useful, including as Wise is integrated in their app. 

Don't see the point really. He can use his existing ATM cards to withdraw cash from his current UK or Australian bank accounts until he is settled. Or take some cash with him.

As soon as he has an address over there he can sort out all these sorts of things quickly.

I wouldn't bother trying to set things up in advance which will be a lot harder and probably impossible. If you were going somewhere on holiday for a month you wouldn't try and set up a bank account there in advance. You would just use your existing bank accounts. It does not need to be in place on Day 1.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

On 23/05/2021 at 09:07, Cal2 said:

Hi,

TIA

Caroline

The Bank of Ireland seem to allow you to set up an account in advance => https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/coming-to-ireland/moving-to-ireland/welcome-to-ireland/

If he is going for work it may be useful to have a bank account as soon as he gets there so he can get paid.  He can always open a different account once he is settled and works out which is the best bank for his needs.