Emergency Department

MacGyver

The problem is that some people still use ED's as out of hours GP's surgeries.  There's been a lot of pressure of beds recently and ambulance ramping.  ED's also have the 4 hour rule (just like the UK), quite often the problem is that people need a bed elsewhere in the hospital and it isn't there/ready - so the patient has to wait in ED.

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Why? They diagnosed broken ribs and dislocated ribs from my sternum. Said I should have gone to hospital straight away.

They gave me free painkillers and anti inflammatories which worked wonders.

I think he was suggesting you should have gone to A&E sooner?

2 hours ago, ali said:

The problem is that some people still use ED's as out of hours GP's surgeries.  There's been a lot of pressure of beds recently and ambulance ramping.  ED's also have the 4 hour rule (just like the UK), quite often the problem is that people need a bed elsewhere in the hospital and it isn't there/ready - so the patient has to wait in ED.

Totally agree.

I had considered the 'GP urgent care' service, where you can walk in or book an appointment the following day for non life threatening matters. In the end I called Health direct and they advised me to attend the emergency department immediately, which on reflection was probably unnecessary. I could have booked an appointment next day, received an x-ray and treatment and avoided adding pressure to the Emergency department while also avoiding 5 hours sitting around waiting. 

If there's a next time I won't call health direct as I suppose they have to err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newjez said:

I nearly did that. We have these really sharp knives, and it would have done some serious damage. Question, do you leave the blade in or take it out in that situation?

The knife didn't stick in my foot - it was a very large, very long, very sharp knife that landed blade side down pretty much on the knuckle of my big toe then bounced off on to the floor.  I would have just put a band aid over it but the fact I couldn't move my big toe was an indication I had done something more serious than just cut the skin open.  But to answer your question if you have a knife sticking in you you are better to leave a knife in place if possible in case it has hit any major arteries as removing it could cause you to bleed out.

20 hours ago, Parley said:

I refuse to have those sorts of lethal knives in the house.

Totally unnecessary in my opinion.

The last thing i want is someone breaking in and grabbing one to use on me.

What do you use to prep food then? I use my sharp cooks knives daily. 

16 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

What do you use to prep food then? I use my sharp cooks knives daily. 

I have a small kitchen knife which is quite adequate. I don't see any need for those huge knives which seem to have gained some popularity.

But I usually don't do that sort of food prep anyway. I will buy diced chicken if making a chicken curry etc and add simmering sauce from a jar.

I admit i'm not much of a cook.

1 minute ago, Parley said:

I have a small kitchen knife which is quite adequate. I don't see any need for those huge knives which seem to have gained some popularity.

But I usually don't do that sort of food prep anyway. I will buy diced chicken if making a chicken curry etc and add simmering sauce from a jar.

The knife I dropped on my foot is my carving knife.  I'm not sure how I would carve a chicken or a joint of meat with a small chopping knife 🤔.  I keep it in a drawer with lots of other stuff and it takes me a while to find it sometimes.  I doubt anyone breaking in is going to be grabbing it to use on me and certainly not before the dog has altered us to their presence (which, going on past experience of the teenager coming home at night, will be before they have even got to the door let alone through it).

5 minutes ago, NicF said:

The knife I dropped on my foot is my carving knife.  I'm not sure how I would carve a chicken or a joint of meat with a small chopping knife 🤔.  I keep it in a drawer with lots of other stuff and it takes me a while to find it sometimes.  I doubt anyone breaking in is going to be grabbing it to use on me and certainly not before the dog has altered us to their presence (which, going on past experience of the teenager coming home at night, will be before they have even got to the door let alone through it).

I do have a carving set for a roast like you hidden away in the drawer.

I'm really referring to people who feel they need these big knife sets sitting in a block on the kitchen bench.

Some of the knives are huge.

They just scare me. Like having a gun on the bench.

2021-05-21_11-08-12.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parley said:

I use kitchen scissors to cut up most raw meat.  You can dice chicken breasts in seconds using scissors.  I watched something on tv years ago where a chef said it’s the safest, easiest and quickest way to do it.  I tried it and I’ve done it ever since.  

• Like 5

On 19/05/2021 at 15:20, newjez said:

Would you have them treating people in a tent recording with chalk and blackboards? You're at risk of becoming a Victor meldrew Paul.

A&E suffer from the same problem as many organisations that they need to cover a peak which is much higher than their low.

If we cut down on alcohol consumption we would have a better A&E service.

No, I know hospitals need a lot of money on upkeep. Here in Perth though they've built fantastic, brand new, big hospitals and shut a few, like Freo, that were doing a fine job.

They spent millions on making the buildings look nice, one didn't open on time as it had problems with the plumbing that they spent heaps on. No doubt millions more on IT and computer equipment.

Now they're open and the nurses and doctors are under constant pressure as there aren't enough staff.

One of our friends daughters is a qualified nurse, qualified here and couldn't get a job. She got 3 offers from the UK and is working in Southampton. 

13 hours ago, Parley said:

I do have a carving set for a roast like you hidden away in the drawer.

I'm really referring to people who feel they need these big knife sets sitting in a block on the kitchen bench.

Some of the knives are huge.

They just scare me. Like having a gun on the bench.

2021-05-21_11-08-12.jpg

I don't see why knifes need points. You very rarely use the pointy bit.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 16:12, Paul1Perth said:

Why? They diagnosed broken ribs and dislocated ribs from my sternum. Said I should have gone to hospital straight away.

They gave me free painkillers and anti inflammatories which worked wonders.

Social responsibility of an err... sociopath.

Off topic regarding ER but Qld Health waiting lists are atrocious atm. I was referred to the Renal Dep't Category 2 (supposed maximum of 90 days wait) on Oct 3rd. I got a letter Friday asking me if I still wanted to remain on the waiting list!

Edited by Johndoe
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Off topic regarding ER but Qld Health waiting lists are atrocious atm. I was referred to the Renal Dep't Category 2 (supposed maximum of 90 days wait) on Oct 3rd. I got a letter Friday asking me if I still wanted to remain on the waiting list!

Yes the whole of Australia is undergoing a health care capacity crisis, possibly as a result of deferred care from last year.

- "faking" symptoms is really a big no-no... not only do you waste our time, once we realize you have actually faked a symptom, we will find a way, without endangering your life, to ensure that you wait as long as possible before you get attended.

- computers and infrastructure are absolutely necessary, its a bit silly to conflate costs of infrastructure with nursing/doctor shortages. The nursing and medical staff crisis has nothing to do with megabytes.... there is a MASSIVE shortage in training compared to population growth. Such is the shortage that our OT and Social Work trained colleagues have joined emergency mental health services and also cover EDs as well... nothing to do with computers

- Mental health patients have their own pathway through ED.... yes.. their presentations do take up some resources, but that's the role of ED, to deal with health issues, of which Mental Health is one group. Its like saying people with broken bones or cuts should be blamed for delays on all other presentations... the people are facing a health problem, so they attend ED to have it addressed. simples. the rate of Mental Health presentations is more a reflection of society and looking at Mental Health just from an ED perspective is quite short sighted 

I have spent the last 6 months working over 75% in EDs (Across 5 hospitals). I have worked in EDs in England as well.

Edited by SWMOY04
  • Like 1