Quarantine food

Cots

I won’t not pay, but I’ll certainly be asking for a reduction or such like.  Hopefully they’d like new migrants to succeed and not start off on the back foot. ‘Shy bairns get no sweets’ as my Dad would say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cots said:

We can’t be certain at this point if we’re going to be billed for one room or 2 which makes a difference of around $1500. And to get here and be served around $80 worth of food a day and be charged $235 per day is making me question the charges.

Emigrating generally means that you arrive with no jobs, no home, no cars and a commitment to the country to work in a career based on the points that got you in. We have 3 children and for us to leave here owing $7k seems quite harsh with so many costs ahead of us, just saying 😉 

Have you questioned the quality of your food with either your hotel? or the Queensland government , rather than posting here? Other posters have quarantined in Brisbane, will be interesting to hear their experience. Has anyone else complained about the quality and cost of the food, or mentioned if they were charged for 2 rooms, or there is a standard change for families?

• Like 1

I’ve never questioned the quality of the food in any of my posts. What I’ve said is they put a value on it of €235 per day for 2 adults and 3 children and there’s no way the food that is received at our door is worth that money. We’re in a self contained unit so we receive ready meals to heat, bread to toast, sausage rolls or pies to heat, baked beans or spaghetti, one day yogurts, another  pancakes, another waffles. Now we’re in our 2nd week I see that they rotate the menu weekly. I understand it’s difficult to feed us in these circumstances but I am just struggling with the charge they’re going to make to us.

Also, you’re not allowed to question the food or swap the food. We did ask for less treats when we were receiving 3 sweet treats per day per person and they agreed to swap for fruit.

Yes, I did mention to Queensland Heath when they made one of their many calls to us about the sweet treats. 

I could shop for a week on the money for 2 days food. We can order in if we like but when you’re paying this kind of money we can’t afford to pay on top.

I’m  not sure what food is served in a hotel where they have kitchens etc I can only tell you what we’re getting here.

i thought posting and sharing this kind of stuff was the point of forums 😃 

• Like 1

A nurse is paid between $40-$60 per hour. How many are there in your hotel? How about the national guard? How many are there? The bill probably says food, but it's probably accounting for the above as well as the fact that the whole hotel is a dedicated quarantine facility. 

Edited by DukeNinja

1 minute ago, DukeNinja said:

A nurse is paid between $40-$60 per hour. How many are there in your hotel? How about the national guard? How many are there? The bill probably says food, but it's probably accounting for the above. 

I’ve never questioned the quality of the food in any of my posts. What I’ve said is they put a value on it of €235 per day for 2 adults and 3 children and there’s no way the food that is received at our door is worth that money. We’re in a self contained unit so we receive ready meals to heat, bread to toast, sausage rolls or pies to heat, baked beans or spaghetti, one day yogurts, another  pancakes, another waffles. Now we’re in our 2nd week I see that they rotate the menu weekly. I understand it’s difficult to feed us in these circumstances but I am just struggling with the charge they’re going to make to us.

Also, you’re not allowed to question the food or swap the food. We did ask for less treats when we were receiving 3 sweet treats per day per person and they agreed to swap for fruit.

Yes, I did mention to Queensland Heath when they made one of their many calls to us about the sweet treats. 

I could shop for a week on the money for 2 days food. We can order in if we like but when you’re paying this kind of money we can’t afford to pay on top.

I’m  not sure what food is served in a hotel where they have kitchens etc I can only tell you what we’re getting here.

4 minutes ago, Cots said:

What’s in a word?? Quality quantity versus cost, was only asking, shan’t bother to post again, thought I was being helpful

As someone else said earlier, they shouldn’t break it down the way that they do if they’re including other costs within there. It should be a set amount per family or per person because if you’re telling me that I’m paying 65 per adult and 35 per child for food per day, I’ll take your word for it and then question it accordingly. 

I can appreciate your intentions, however this is probably the wrong forum if you want to change the system.

My friend has just finished their quarantine, and even though they specified meal preferences due to religious reasons, those were not respected on multiple occasions despite this being contested.

4 minutes ago, ramot said:

What’s in a word?? Quality quantity versus cost, was only asking, shan’t bother to post again, thought I was being helpful

Quite a lot’s in a word I think, it means different things. I never said the food is S%#^, just that it’s inexpensive.

33 minutes ago, Cots said:

As someone else said earlier, they shouldn’t break it down the way that they do if they’re including other costs within there. It should be a set amount per family or per person because if you’re telling me that I’m paying 65 per adult and 35 per child for food per day, I’ll take your word for it and then question it accordingly. 

I presume you have seen this website which explains the fees. https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/protect-yourself-others/quarantine/fees-payment#Fees-0

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

You presume correctly. You don’t move a family of 5 easily across the world without checking everything. What’s not clear is how many rooms we’re being charged for as this info relates to hotel stays, not self contained unit stays. For instance, we don’t get laundry done for us,  we have a washer in the unit (that really doesn’t launder well).  The price relates to hotels preparing food. We’re heating the ready meals they advertise on the tv and toasting half a loaf of bread every day whilst eating an apple 😃 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parley said:

People who refuse to pay may find they are refused the ability to travel overseas. Similar to what happens to people who owe child support and refuse to pay.

I believe if people apply for further visas or citizenship and they have outstanding debt they won’t be eligible. 

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cots said:

I'm guessing that you are pricing just the food, rather than including the cost of the person who has to source it and then deliver it?

17 minutes ago, Cots said:

The food in not sourced, the meals are the ready meals they advertise on the TV, 7 for $55 (so imagine for bulk there will be a bigger discount) bread, fruit and chocolate, Aldi covers it off.

I think as others have said this isnot really the cost of the food.  Or it might be on average, and you have a more expensive room and cheaper food as you can heat it yourself.  I would try to forget about it, not worth the effort.

The question of whether you pay for more than 1 room is interesting though.  Its not clear for WA either.  Again it is rather out of your hands, so seems harsh to pay for two rooms.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cots said:

The food in not sourced, the meals are the ready meals they advertise on the TV, 7 for $55 (so imagine for bulk there will be a bigger discount) bread, fruit and chocolate, Aldi covers it off.

Are the meals 'You Foodz' brand ?  I'm intrigued as thats the only ad i can think of on TV and although ive never had them, some do look good, some not so much... My friend has them delivered and brings them to work for her lunch.

Keep your chin up, not long now until you are free,lol

Cal x

Yes, that’s them! They’re okay but hit and miss options and some days we have one for lunch AND one for dinner which is too much. The kids are not fans as you can imagine, they’re calorie controlled with broccoli at the core of each meal. I’ve lost weight in the past 10 days so every cloud 😊 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cots said:

Yes, that’s them! They’re okay but hit and miss options and some days we have one for lunch AND one for dinner which is too much. The kids are not fans as you can imagine, they’re calorie controlled with broccoli at the core of each meal. I’ve lost weight in the past 10 days so every cloud 😊 

They smell nice but there isn't much in them from what ive seen of my friends so no wonder you've lost weight,lol.. Are you able to order stuff in?  or i do i need to drive into Brisbane and throw some Macca's onto your balcony so you dont waste away? lol

Cal x

My kids would kill for a Maccas 😂 how’s your throwing arm? We’re on the 16th floor!

We can order in and have done twice but at €100 a pop we can’t afford any more.

Right now, the food is all we’ve got to focus on, the 2 deliveries a day is our highlight, will it be beef, mash and broccoli or clean (dry) chicken and broccoli 😃 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cots said:

My kids would kill for a Maccas 😂 how’s your throwing arm? We’re on the 16th floor!

Right now, the food is all we’ve got to focus on, the 2 deliveries a day is our highlight, will it be beef, mash and broccoli or clean (dry) chicken and broccoli 😃 

$100 a pop on what?

2 minutes ago, Cots said:

Can you not order Macca's, KFC etc on Ubereats or Menu log? I dont want to rub it in but there is pretty good kebab shop not far from you,, Not that you would want them every day but it may break the mundane food up a bit.

Cal x

I guess the problem is the way the system chooses to "moneitse" the charge.

$235 sounds expensive for simple meals for 5 people for day. 

Would it feel more palatable is the broke it down differentlt and said

Acomodation : $x (can't remember what your number was)

Food : $50

Medical and Security charges : $185

You are getting hung up on how they've chosen to split the charges, the reality is quarantine costs $7k for your family regardless how they split it on the invoice (it actually costs way more than this in all probabilty)

I realise you see it as a huge chunk that you have to spend before you can start looking for jobs to earn money, but the converse is that no-one made you leave the UK to go to Australia right now - you could have waited until Quarantine was no longer a thing (whenever that is) - you chose now and that means incurring the costs (Incidentally, we've made the same choice and will be a month or two behind you - I suspect I will also complain about the cost when I see the bill)

• Like 5

It’s not worth all the stress right now.  Don’t worry about what you can’t change.   You are costing the food as if you bought it yourself and it doesn’t work like that. There must be considerable other cost involved.  It’s like when people say how can a taxi charge £10 for going 2 miles down the road when the petrol wouldn’t even cost a pound.   I agree it sounds steep but just get a few deliveries of yummy bits and chill out.  You even asked for less sweet treats, I’d be getting in more and washing them down with a nice bottle of something. Good luck in your new adventures, these costs are harsh but they will be history before too long. 

21 hours ago, Cots said:

I think the break-down is mostly to help those who can reimburse the expense through their employers.  For everyone else who is on their own dime, treat it as one whole number.

• Like 1