Quarantine food

Cots

Queensland Health are going to be billing us 65 per adult per day and 35 per child per day for food. For us that’s 235 dollars per day for food.

Yet daily we only receive around 85 dollars worth of food including 10 ready meals or 5 ready meals (these will be purchased in bulk for the hotel and cost would be minimal) and 5 sandwiches or sausage rolls, 5 pieces of fruit, 5 small bags of cereals and sweet snacks. It really doesn’t seem justified. I know that we knew the cost before we travelled but when you see the food in a brown bag and realize you’re paying 235 a day for it I have to question it....

• Sad 1

I have no idea why they split the costs based of room and food the way they do, but it's one size fits all pricing, so there are bound to be some anomalies for different people.

You posted earlier that you were allocated a 2 bedroom apartment, so clearly the $135 you are being charged for that is a real bargain compared to the same price for the small hotel room most people end up in.  I assume you are getting ready meals because your place is not a 'real' hotel and doesn't have a kitchen to prepare food on the premises. You also have the luxury of an actual kitchen in your unit. Others will likely get better food delivered to their door, but not so much space. 😀

I also think we should take account of the fact that the costs involved in quarantine are significantly higher than just the hotel room and the meals. There are all the arrangements to get you through the airport and to the hotel, the police and medical presence at the hotel, the covid testing and other logistical support made available etc etc.

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 5

Just now, Lavers said:

Could you cancel the food and order shopping to your room? We got woolies delivered for snacks etc.

Feel sorry for you paying that amount as I know what the food is like 🤣🤣

Nope, that's not allowed ... even if you leave it all!

5 hours ago, Cots said:

Queensland Health are going to be billing us 65 per adult per day and 35 per child per day for food. For us that’s 235 dollars per day for food.

Yet daily we only receive around 85 dollars worth of food including 10 ready meals or 5 ready meals (these will be purchased in bulk for the hotel and cost would be minimal) and 5 sandwiches or sausage rolls, 5 pieces of fruit, 5 small bags of cereals and sweet snacks. It really doesn’t seem justified. I know that we knew the cost before we travelled but when you see the food in a brown bag and realize you’re paying 235 a day for it I have to question it....

Good grief, at those prices I'd be going on hunger strike for a fortnight - I need to lose a few pounds anyway!

Edited by Wanderer Returns

17 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Good grief, at those prices I'd be going on hunger strike for a fortnight - I need to lose a few pounds anyway!

You’ll pay regardless of whether you eat it or not.

On 15/05/2021 at 13:46, Cots said:

From what I gather, you don't have to pay at the time you check out. If it's really as grotty as you say, I would take photos and then kick up a stink once you're out of quarantine.

7 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

From what I gather, you don't have to pay at the time you check out. If it's really as grotty as you say, I would take photos and then kick up a stink once you're out of quarantine.

Thats correct, you get sent an invoice after your stay. Certainly in Queensland there are a very large number of outstanding invoices - some being contested, others claiming hardship.

I'd gladly fork out 2 weeks' worth of overpriced canteen food for the prospect of a complete lifestyle change. Especially considering that we are in the middle of a pandemic, and you're being allowed in the 3rd best country vis-à-vis the virus spread.

• Like 2

the point is not that we won’t pay, we knew the costs but $7000 for 14 nights feels like rather a lot now we’re living it, on top of the £10k we spent on flights. It’s a huge dent in our funds before we have been able to walk the streets freely and gain employment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Thats correct, you get sent an invoice after your stay. Certainly in Queensland there are a very large number of outstanding invoices - some being contested, others claiming hardship.

Can I ask how you know this? 

1 hour ago, Cots said:

Can I ask how you know this? 

I think it's a given that many bills are not being paid at all.  That's why the NSW government wants the Queensland government to foot part of its hotel bill as many of the guests in NSW are actually Queensland residents.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-25/qld-premier-refuses-to-pay-nsw-hotel-quarantine-bill/13191442

NSW Treasurer labels Queensland Premier 'selfish' over refusal to pay COVID-19 hotel quarantine bill

1 hour ago, Cots said:

the point is not that we won’t pay, we knew the costs but $7000 for 14 nights feels like rather a lot now we’re living it, on top of the £10k we spent on flights. It’s a huge dent in our funds before we have been able to walk the streets freely and gain employment.

As you said. You knew the cost up front and budgetted for it.

• Like 1

We can’t be certain at this point if we’re going to be billed for one room or 2 which makes a difference of around $1500. And to get here and be served around $80 worth of food a day and be charged $235 per day is making me question the charges.

Emigrating generally means that you arrive with no jobs, no home, no cars and a commitment to the country to work in a career based on the points that got you in. We have 3 children and for us to leave here owing $7k seems quite harsh with so many costs ahead of us, just saying 😉 

2 hours ago, Parley said:

People who refuse to pay may find they are refused the ability to travel overseas. Similar to what happens to people who owe child support and refuse to pay.

I’d hope so. There should be a punishment in place.  Very unfair on the descent people that pay without question otherwise.  I’d not be happy if I paid and then found out someone else didn’t want to and got away with it. Fairness is key. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

I'd gladly fork out 2 weeks' worth of overpriced canteen food for the prospect of a complete lifestyle change. Especially considering that we are in the middle of a pandemic, and you're being allowed in the 3rd best country vis-à-vis the virus spread.

Much cheaper to get a vaccine.