We are mad Lol

Cots

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I guess what I am saying is they are playing a very different strategy to say Qantas or BA, who are minimising losses by not flying half empty planes.  I know a guy senior at Emirates who has been briefed on this strategy.

That's what I was going to say.  I remember when they were first getting established, they were prepared to cut fares lower than anyone else, while offering higher standards of service, to build their reputation.  It was an expensive strategy that most airlines would've been mad to finance, but the Qataris could afford it.   They have always valued their reputation above their profitability.

We flew into Melb on Etihad - We bagged a return ticket (Out in Business, back in Economy) for £4,100 for 2 adults and an infant. We managed to take 130Kg of luggage + a heavy push chair as part of that. Very pleased with the service and we didn't get cancelled on either!

We found this fare by perusing Skyscanner and Kayak for various dates... There were quite a few different options available a couple of months ago!

7 hours ago, vongole83 said:

We flew into Melb on Etihad - We bagged a return ticket (Out in Business, back in Economy) for £4,100 for 2 adults and an infant. We managed to take 130Kg of luggage + a heavy push chair as part of that. Very pleased with the service and we didn't get cancelled on either!

We found this fare by perusing Skyscanner and Kayak for various dates... There were quite a few different options available a couple of months ago!

Return?

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Return?

Yes we will use the return portion for a visit to the UK next year if COVID allows. The return leg has free changes too. 

Forgot to mention the economy return made the price lower than 1 way biz class... booking outwards only was about £12,000! Crazy!

Anyway well worth taking a look as there were lots of dates offering this when we booked. I didn’t want to post about it until we actually got here as I was a little sceptical it wasn’t all too good to be true price-wise

Edited by vongole83

• 4 months later...

I thought I’d update anyone who’s interested… we left quarantine on May 21st, rented an Airbnb, husband and I both got jobs within 2 weeks having spent our time in quarantine applying for jobs, In fact I’ve just started another job with more money than the first. After 2 months we applied for a mortgage using a broker and on September 17th we walked into our new house! 

it hasn’t been easy as I’ve applied for lots of jobs and got lots of interviews but all worth the slog.

My 3 children have been in school since the end of May so settling in nicely.

• Like 7
  • Congratulations 2

On 20/05/2021 at 23:04, Jon the Hat said:

I guess what I am saying is they are playing a very different strategy to say Qantas or BA, who are minimising losses by not flying half empty planes.  I know a guy senior at Emirates who has been briefed on this strategy.

I heard an ad on 2GB today saying you can book and rebook as many times as you like on Qantas. This is for people booking here in Australia. 

Not that I'll be rushing to fly to England in winter just as the Ashes tour is confirmed and I've endured three and a half months of lockdown in Sydney's winter.

• Haha 1

On 09/10/2021 at 04:44, Cots said:

I thought I’d update anyone who’s interested… we left quarantine on May 21st, rented an Airbnb, husband and I both got jobs within 2 weeks having spent our time in quarantine applying for jobs, In fact I’ve just started another job with more money than the first. After 2 months we applied for a mortgage using a broker and on September 17th we walked into our new house! 

it hasn’t been easy as I’ve applied for lots of jobs and got lots of interviews but all worth the slog.

My 3 children have been in school since the end of May so settling in nicely.

Great news, and I hope the new job is going well.  Our airBnb was pretty ropey, and we were lucky to find a nice furnished rental and signed a 12 month lease so our youngest started school on Wednesday and our eldest starts the coming Tuesday in an excellent SHS.  Job wise I have interviewed for a good role and fingers crossed.  As I expected there are not too many at my level, but lets see how it goes.  

• Like 1

On 17/10/2021 at 02:52, Jon the Hat said:

Great news, and I hope the new job is going well.  Our airBnb was pretty ropey, and we were lucky to find a nice furnished rental and signed a 12 month lease so our youngest started school on Wednesday and our eldest starts the coming Tuesday in an excellent SHS.  Job wise I have interviewed for a good role and fingers crossed.  As I expected there are not too many at my level, but lets see how it goes.  

Awsome to hear  ! Jon how are you finding living in Adelaide ? We are leaving in 2 months.. It is becaming real 🙂