Citizenship by descent

Mrs T

My mum was born in Australia.  I applied to emigrate many many years ago as a 19 year old but was unsuccessful as was 10 points short.  Chatting to a friend recently she told me that the rules had change and I would be eligible under citizenship by descent.  I’m just curious if this is the case.  I’m now in my 50’s and my mum is still alive and well and living in London.  

Couple of things - was your mum an Australian citizen when you were born?  Had she taken another citizenship and lost her Australian one (that happened before 2002 but has since been rescinded - there may be ways around that)?.  If she was a citizen at the time of your birth then, yes, you can apply for citizenship by descent.  Whether she was a citizen by birth could depend on a few things like her date of birth (before 1949?) and her parents' status at the time.  Bottom line, ask your mum what her citizenship status was at the time of your birth.

Edited by Quoll

Thanks for the replies.  Mum was born in Adelaide in 1934 and still holds only an Australian passport.  Both her parents were also born in Australia.

Another question if I may - if my children (19, 17 & 14) wanted to live and work in Australia in the future would it be any advantage to them if I had an Australian passport?  

4 hours ago, Mrs T said:

Thanks for the replies.  Mum was born in Adelaide in 1934 and still holds only an Australian passport.  Both her parents were also born in Australia.

Another question if I may - if my children (19, 17 & 14) wanted to live and work in Australia in the future would it be any advantage to them if I had an Australian passport?  

She wouldn’t have been an Australian until 1949 (British subject before that but everyone became Australian in Jan 1949)  but she’s got her Aus citizenship and didn’t become British and so lose her Aus citizenship so it’ll just be a matter of you applying for registration as a citizen by descent. You can’t pass down your Australian citizenship to your kids so you having a passport won’t be of benefit to them in the future unless you’re planning on all moving over before they become independent.