Jump to content
Cup Final 1973

Things I’d forgotten about the UK...

Recommended Posts

Almost 15 years in Australia and I’ve been back in England one week.  In no particular order these things have jumped out at me:

post delivery twice a day as well as on a Saturday with online shopping delivered same day

milk in glass bottles delivered by a local milkman

central heating radiators - I know we shouldn’t need them in May but we’re in Yorkshire !  I never got used to heating vents in the ceiling in Victoria.

Match of the Day on a Saturday evening with Gary Lineker

real Weetabix

cheap everything - mobile pay as you go a third of what I paid in Australia, vitamin tablets half price, free bus pass for seniors that can be used all over England

I’m still self isolating so I expect there’s more to come!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well given Weetbix was invented in Australia.

Weetbix is the real one and weetabix is the copy.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I didn’t know that.  I always thought Weetbix was a poor copy of Weetabix...much nicer taste!

That's subjective.  I prefer Weetbix to Weetabix.

I do miss proper radiators though.


Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NicF said:

That's subjective.  I prefer Weetbix to Weetabix.

Definitely subjective.  It's all down to what your taste buds get used to.  

 I spent years believing that I missed "real" Cadbury's and Galaxy chocolate in Australia.  Then one year, (after an unusual 5-year break between visits), I bought some in the UK and discovered I didn't think much of it!   That applies to several other things, too - when I'm home, my sisters rush to offer me "treats", e.g. fish'n'chips from our old favourite chippie, Aberdeen rolls, Cornish pasties, mince'n'tatties with white pudding.....none of which I can stand any longer. 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the cheap. I think many overpay in Australia. The old monopolies still hold fast. And people mistrust newer European stores like Aldi and IKEA (and yes I know they have been around for years here but.....). My Aldi phone PAYG costs $25 a month and I get loads of data that rolls over, international calls to landlines and mobiles. Good coverage, same as Telstra. 
 

Most  of uk doesn’t get two post deliveries a day now and where you do get milk delivered it often comes in plastic containers. 


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to think how much money the Royal Mail are losing every year if they do that.

I assume many people are like me, and get all bank statements, utility bills etc delivered electronically. I get hardly any personally addressed letters these days.

Even at Christmas, the number of people sending Christmas cards is way down.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Definitely subjective.  It's all down to what your taste buds get used to.  

 I spent years believing that I missed "real" Cadbury's and Galaxy chocolate in Australia.  Then one year, (after an unusual 5-year break between visits), I bought some in the UK and discovered I didn't think much of it!   That applies to several other things, too - when I'm home, my sisters rush to offer me "treats", e.g. fish'n'chips from our old favourite chippie, Aberdeen rolls, Cornish pasties, mince'n'tatties with white pudding.....none of which I can stand any longer. 

Chocolate in the uK has very low cocoa solids and isn’t really chocolate, unlike here.  They sell chocolate in Europe but has to be called Family Milk Chocolate.  At one point the European market wanted British  chocolate renamed as Vegolate as it had so little cocoa solids.   Whatever, it’s pretty ordinary stuff.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Regarding the cheap. I think many overpay in Australia. The old monopolies still hold fast. And people mistrust newer European stores like Aldi and IKEA (and yes I know they have been around for years here but.....). My Aldi phone PAYG costs $25 a month and I get loads of data that rolls over, international calls to landlines and mobiles. Good coverage, same as Telstra. 
 

Most  of uk doesn’t get two post deliveries a day now and where you do get milk delivered it often comes in plastic containers. 

Out of interest  My Telstra plan is $25 a month, I pay $300 upfront for the year, plenty of data,  have to check on free calls to overseas phones? But face time, what’s app for free, and don’t have to top it up. 

Great fan of Aldi for and their bargains, never knew how much unnecessary stuff I needed!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ramot said:

Out of interest  My Telstra plan is $25 a month, I pay $300 upfront for the year, plenty of data,  have to check on free calls to overseas phones? But face time, what’s app for free, and don’t have to top it up. 

Great fan of Aldi for and their bargains, never knew how much unnecessary stuff I needed!! 

 

Telstra have just put up[ my plan to $45 so I'm thinking of leaving them.

How do you do it for $25 per month? Is the secret to go pre-paid ?


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Parley said:

Telstra have just put up[ my plan to $45 so I'm thinking of leaving them.

How do you do it for $25 per month? Is the secret to go pre-paid ?

Yes I think you were on the same plan as me ? I went in to our local shop and complained and it was suggested I change the plan to paying $300 up front for the year. Seemed like a no brainer as it was cheaper with lots more data. It’s so easy to just continue with anything already in place, and not shop around or push for a better deal.

Reference the UK, I’d forgotten how cold the rain could be.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Parley said:

Telstra have just put up[ my plan to $45 so I'm thinking of leaving them.

How do you do it for $25 per month? Is the secret to go pre-paid ?

We've just changed to Boost, it's part of Telstra but much cheaper as they only do pre-paid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the $300 pre-paid SIM with Telstra, valid for 12 months.

I suppose the big question is whether you would use it up within 12 months. Unlimited calls and texts and $150 GB Data. So if you don't use much data it sounds a good choice.

I might try it too.

Thanks Ramot.

Edited by Parley

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Aldi deal is pay by month and the data keeps rolling over so great when recently away from home I had enough to stream stuff without worrying or trying to connect to useless hotel wi fi!  No contract so you can change at will. 
We also use face time and WhatsApp but do have to make calls to uk banks, business etc where that isn’t appropriate so very handy. 
I think Telstra do better deals now because of the competition!

  • Like 2

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Parley said:

I hate to think how much money the Royal Mail are losing every year if they do that.

I assume many people are like me, and get all bank statements, utility bills etc delivered electronically. I get hardly any personally addressed letters these days.

Even at Christmas, the number of people sending Christmas cards is way down.

My post only gets delivered once a day and has done for as long as I can remember.  As for milk deliveries, you can still get milk delivered to your door and we have a milkman in the village I live in.   It is kind of nostalgic to see the old fashioned glass bottles of milk on doorsteps (always glass around here, never seen plastic ones) but most people just buy milk from the supermarkets these days. I buy a 4 pint of milk from Asda (which is in a plastic bottle) and it costs £1.  The old fashioned milkman delivery is more expensive but some still like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

My post only gets delivered once a day and has done for as long as I can remember.  As for milk deliveries, you can still get milk delivered to your door and we have a milkman in the village I live in.   It is kind of nostalgic to see the old fashioned glass bottles of milk on doorsteps (always glass around here, never seen plastic ones) but most people just buy milk from the supermarkets these days. I buy a 4 pint of milk from Asda (which is in a plastic bottle) and it costs £1.  The old fashioned milkman delivery is more expensive but some still like it. 

The milkman. That is a blast from the past.

When i was a kid, the top of the milk bottle was cream and I would try and drink that rather than let Mum shake it up in the milk.

Amazing there are still milkman. Mind you, you can order your grocery shopping online here and get it delivered from Coles or Woolworths.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ramot said:

Yes I think you were on the same plan as me ? I went in to our local shop and complained and it was suggested I change the plan to paying $300 up front for the year. Seemed like a no brainer as it was cheaper with lots more data. It’s so easy to just continue with anything already in place, and not shop around or push for a better deal.

Reference the UK, I’d forgotten how cold the rain could be.

I am grateful for you letting me know about this.

I have been to the Telstra Shop this afternoon and cancelled my $45 per month plan and bought a $300 12 month Pre-paid SIM. 

I also like subscriptions where you can pay once a year rather than every month.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Parley said:

I am grateful for you letting me know about this.

I have been to the Telstra Shop this afternoon and cancelled my $45 per month plan and bought a $300 12 month Pre-paid SIM. 

I also like subscriptions where you can pay once a year rather than every month.

My husband hardly ever used his old pay as you go flip top phone, which was mine, pre my first iPhone, he then inherited my old iPhone when I updated mine, but again on pay as you go, hardly ever used it or had it with him or on as it never had any money on it.The joke is that he was with me when I changed the plan, so he bought the same plan, so now for only $5 a month more, we both have the same plan, and he is using it more and more, even has it with him now and switched on!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just discontinued my milk woman due to moving, quite sad. About 7 years of milk and a sort of relationship, only saw her monthly collecting the money, but she noticed changes in my children, missed my dog when he died, that sort of thing. I liked her. 

I haven't had Mail 2x a day for years, I don't think they do that in Scotland anymore and my morning mail doesn't come til about 1pm (maybe that is my 2nd mail) 

My mum gets milk and eggs delivered, which is cool. Different supplier but I couldn't change due to loyalty to my milk woman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parley said:

The milkman. That is a blast from the past.

When i was a kid, the top of the milk bottle was cream and I would try and drink that rather than let Mum shake it up in the milk.

Amazing there are still milkman. Mind you, you can order your grocery shopping online here and get it delivered from Coles or Woolworths.

I remember sometimes in the winter the cream at the top would be frozen and you’d have to stab it and push the frozen bit inside.  Online grocery shopping really popular here too but I still prefer to go into store once a week.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My phone deal is £5 a month ( half that for the first 3 months) unlimited calls and texts and 100 international minutes.  Not a lot of data though but I don’t play games or watch films on my phone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I remember sometimes in the winter the cream at the top would be frozen and you’d have to stab it and push the frozen bit inside.  Online grocery shopping really popular here too but I still prefer to go into store once a week.  

Magpies used to peck through the foil tops, so my father put a box by the front gate to stop the little buggers.

Had a mate who worked for a milko when I was at school. He spent about two or three hours running behind the truck. He got very fit, but I doubt health and safety would allow it nowadays.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How good the salaries are in London. £200k+ salaries seem pretty common place in finance, banking and law. Some law firms even pay their trainee solicitors (so we're talking about people in their early 20's) £100k a year. Crazy stuff....

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×