Hi, I am considering moving back to Adelaide. I’m in my late 40s as is husband and we have kids aged 14 and 12. I grew up there. Have lived in UK well over 20 years and have good jobs, nice house and kids are very happy in good schools. Main driver is elderly parents in Adelaide aged late 70s,  one of whom is very frail. They are both  managing ok at home for now but decline is inevitable over coming years. We have citizenship there so that’s not a problem but have been told by recruiters that job prospects for us in Adelaide at our age are grim ( law and finance).

Not sure how demoralising it will be to be there if we can’t  get jobs even though would love to be there to care for my parents ( they have no close family in Oz but do have a small support network of neighbours).

I can see the days are going to approach where I will want to fly to see them to help care for them a couple of months, a couple of times each year but have 2 weeks hotel quarantine to contend with each time and will be leaving my kids and husband behind in UK. 

Also has anyone moved with kids joining year 8 and 10 and how was it? Mine are worried will be teased due to accents etc but hopefully that’s not the case. If don’t move now maybe next chance is when one child finishes A levels and goes eg to Adelaide Uni and younger child would be Year 10 in Adelaide but that may be tougher to persuade kids then. Also they will probably be desperate to return to London at that point as soon as Uni over but we the parents would probably not move again at that point.

Just don’t know if I can I stay in UK and organise good care for parents remotely? I have organised ACAT assessments for them through the Aust government health services already in case the need emergency care. But not the same as being there on hand sadly even though dad is good with Skype.

I’m hoping if anyone has had similar experiences you may be able to offer some advice. Thank you so much. 

No, we did it in reverse (parents in U.K.) but didn’t need to work and had no kids. My sympathies, being an only child with parental ageing is no picnic. My olds would not countenance going into supported accommodation though I think, had they done so, we wouldn’t have needed to do the caring thing to quite the same degree. It gets more difficult the frailer (and in my mums case, the more demented)they get and you find it’s not just picking them up when they fall but it’s all the other little things like medical appointments, financial dealings, protecting them from scammers etc. 

I think you could find it hard to get work - Australia is essentially ageist and although some folk are lucky and/or have niche skill sets, employers like younger (more dynamic???) cheaper folk. I guess the only way is to put out feelers and see what floats. 

Moving kids is fine as long as they arrive before the start of year 11 although year 9, especially for girls, can be something of a bear pit. They tend to be more human around year 11.

Are your parents British? Another option could be for them to sell up and move back to be near you if they don’t have that much of a support network. Not something I would usually suggest but movers in the opposite direction have no compunction about moving olds to a country they’ve never even lived in before. 

OTOH, I am lurching quickly towards your parents’ age and I would be utterly horrified if either of my sons thought they had to uproot and move to support us!  My parents didn’t expect it of us, though dad was grateful, mum hated it. 

Good luck, unenviable decision and there are times you wish you had siblings to share the load! 

• Like 2

I think you're right that you need to make the move now or not at all.  Once the kids get that little bit older, and even more cemented in their friendship groups in England, there's even more chance they'll hightail it back when they're old enough.   I don't think they need to worry about accents, it's not as if every child in the school will be a white ocker. Australia is pretty mullticultural now!  Year 8 is a perfect year to move. Year 10 should be fine too. It's year 11 and 12 that are inadvisable.

I'd say the jobs situation is your biggest concern.  Most of the corporate jobs in Australia are concentrated in Sydney and Melbourne so it would be challenging in Adelaide.

You could do some lateral thinking.  If you moved to Melbourne, you'd be a short flight (or a long drive) from Adelaide.  With multiple flights every day, you'll be able to hop on the plane in the morning and be there in a couple of hours to respond to an emergency.   Not the same as being there, but much better than being 24 hours away.  And you could spend an awful lot of weekends in Adelaide for the price of one international trip.

If you don't mind a commute, I'd be looking at Ballarat.  It's only a short trip to Melbourne Airport from there (there is a shuttlebus).  We used to drive from there to Adelaide for longer holidays, it's about 6 hours from memory.

Realistically, hotel quarantine won't be in place forever.  A couple of years, perhaps. The bigger issue is what happens if there's an emergency.  People say "you're only 24 hours away", but it's never that easy, as I can attest.  Even pre-Covid.  When my mother took ill, I couldn't get a seat on any plane until the next day, and then the plane developed an engine fault and was delayed for 12 hours.  We passengers were all given a hotel room, but that was no consolation for me!  Luckily she survived that illness.  When Dad took ill, I managed to get a seat on a plane that night, but that still meant a delay of 8 hours before I even stepped on the flight, and he died while I was in transit.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

If finances allow look at some of the retirement housing options available.  Some are fabulous and cater for independent actives to those who need nursing care and the support can progress. They actively engage people and often give them a new lease of life.  Nothing like the “old people’s homes I remember”. They are real communities.

https://www.southerncrosscare.com.au/about-retirement-living

just one example.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any families where they moved to Oz for a child to start University there? So after A levels. It’s quite a different experience in Adelaide as most kids live at home for Uni. I’m not sure what is better, kids moving away at 18 to go to Uni in UK or having the supportive home environment while attending Uni in Adelaide. Any thoughts very welcome. 

27 minutes ago, Undecided99 said:

Does anyone know of any families where they moved to Oz for a child to start University there? So after A levels. It’s quite a different experience in Adelaide as most kids live at home for Uni. I’m not sure what is better, kids moving away at 18 to go to Uni in UK or having the supportive home environment while attending Uni in Adelaide. Any thoughts very welcome. 

First thing to check is whether you’d have to pay full international fees as you won’t have been resident prior to enrolment. No idea what the rules are in Australia but it would be a problem in the UK so worth checking

1 hour ago, Undecided99 said:

Assume your children have citizenship?  If not then international student fees could conceivably apply, depending on which visa they would be entering on.  If citizens then they will be entitled to Commonwealth Supported places and might even be able to apply for HECS Help.  Most Aussie kids stay home for Uni - not sure that that is a bonus really, some of them are still pretty immature and not able to leave home for ages afterwards. They may be up to a year younger in Aus of course as there is one less year of school.  That catches up by the end of Uni though as Honours degrees are 4 years in Aus and generally only 3 in UK.  I think it rather depends on the course they want to do and where they will get the best course with the best longer term benefits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Undecided99 said:

Thank you. Luckily they have citizenship so hopefully would be ok to start Uni when A levels end without international fees. 

One thought that occurs is, I'd expect a smart 18-year-old to work out that it makes no difference whether you're still in the UK or move to Australia, he can still go to Uni in the UK, because he'd be living in student accommodation either way.  

Whereas if you move them while they're in year 8/10, you're in control....

5 hours ago, Undecided99 said:

hard to say, I always say to my hubby that our two would have left home at 18 for Uni and just visited, instead they've continued to live at home and study (my daughter moved out last year to live with her boyfriend) - the majority of our children's friends all studied within the state.  We're in WA and have 5 uni's within an easy commute .  I guess what they don't know they can't miss.

Good points. Thank you. Can anyone comment about the economic climate in Adelaide for graduates? This is the other key concern, that they will need to move interstate anyway for rewarding careers - aside from me and my husband also ending up unemployed when we move. 😊 I’m not sure the economy in Adelaide is on an upward trajectory unless you work in certain specific professions in Adelaide like aged care/ health. So maybe they have better prospects in the UK. 

So many things to consider! 

12 minutes ago, Undecided99 said:

Good points. Thank you. Can anyone comment about the economic climate in Adelaide for graduates? This is the other key concern, that they will need to move interstate anyway...

That is one of the reasons I suggested you consider Melbourne.  Good career prospects both for you and the children and the choice of several universities too, and feasible to visit the parents every weekend if you wanted, plus you're only a couple of hours away if there's a drama.

I dont think the economy in Adelaide is depressed, it's just that there are inevitably far more jobs in a city of 5 million (Melbourne) compared to a city of just over 1 million.

The reality of life, though, is that you don't know where your children will end up, regardless of where you live.

Thanks Marisa, good points. And thank you for earlier sharing your experiences regarding flying back to see ill parents in such difficult circumstances. It must have been a very sad time. My husband’s father also passed away abroad and husband could not make it back in time. Sadly with scattered families it is a common story these days. 

Thanks Marisa, good points. And thank you for earlier sharing your experiences regarding flying back to see ill parents in such difficult circumstances. It must have been a very sad time. My husband’s father also passed away abroad and husband could not make it back in time. Sadly with scattered families it is a common story these days. 

Yes, indeed.  I was very lucky that I have sisters in the UK, though only one of them really stepped up to help, and for that I'll be eternally grateful.  She did something similar to what I'm suggesting for you:  for work reasons, it wasn't practical for her to move to Aberdeen, but they found work in Glasgow and she traveled up to see them on weekends etc.  

9 hours ago, Undecided99 said:

Good points. Thank you. Can anyone comment about the economic climate in Adelaide for graduates?

In a strange way Covid has had something of a positive effect on Adelaide in some respects.  After years of 'brain drain' where you have younger professionals, graduates etc. leaving to head for the bigger cities there is now a net influx of population into Adelaide for the first time since the 90s. 

Apparently due to a number of factors - SA is seen as a safe, affordable place with plenty to offer on the doorstep - wineries, great beaches, festivals etc.  Theres a number of people at my workplace have moved from Canberra, Melbourne etc. for this reason.

This has had a knock on effect to house prices, the market is competitive here now for both sales and rentals with auctions way more common than in the past.

The unemployment rate is falling and economy on the up here - however you have to remember that's from a fairly low base, ever since we came here in 2011 Adelaide/SA has been the poor relation to the other states in many ways.   I wouldn't say its booming, but things do seem to be changing here.

• Like 2

Unlike the other posters above I actually live in Adelaide.  It's a small city, especially compared to Melbourne and Sydney, but I am working and my OH is now retired but used to work short term contracts and not only has he never had an issue getting work he's had agents contact him about roles that have come up.  Work will be very industry related though so do your own research and develop your own contacts.  The state government are currently doing a lot to try and attract business here, although a lot of it is tech type business. Don't be put off by what retired people living in other states have to say about the job market here but do try and find people in your industries living here that can tell you how it really is.  Job vacancies don't always get advertised on Seek but Seek is a good place to look to get an idea of what jobs are around.

As for University, there are 3 Universities in Adelaide to choose from, Adelaide University, Flinders University and University of South Australia.  I work at one of them so won't comment any further on how good they may or may not be but would suggest you do some research.  I do have a daughter currently at University of South Australia on the second year of a file course.  She has already had the opportunity to work (voluntarily) on a professional short film set and has been offered the role of production manager on another, (very) low budget short film that is to be filmed here in Adelaide.  As part of her course there is the chance for some students to work with Rising Sun Pictures (who do special effects for Hollywood films) who are based here.  As citizens your kids should be able to get commonwealth assisted places and be entitled to HECs. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marisawright said:

First thing to check is whether you’d have to pay full international fees as you won’t have been resident prior to enrolment. No idea what the rules are in Australia but it would be a problem in the UK so worth checking

https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans/commonwealth-supported-places-csps#:~:text=A Commonwealth supported place (CSP,entire cost of your study.

The residency requirements for a Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are:

• an Australian citizen, who be resident in Australia for at least one unit of study contributing to their course of study
  • a New Zealand citizen, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit(s) of study
  • a permanent visa holder, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit(s) of study.

So as an Australian citizen you could even go overseas during your study and not lose the subsidy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans/commonwealth-supported-places-csps#:~:text=A Commonwealth supported place (CSP,entire cost of your study.

The residency requirements for a Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are:

• an Australian citizen, who be resident in Australia for at least one unit of study contributing to their course of study
  • a New Zealand citizen, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit(s) of study
  • a permanent visa holder, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit(s) of study.

So as an Australian citizen you could even go overseas during your study and not lose the subsidy.

That's great news.  Knowing the problems when people move from Australia to the UK, I was worried there might be a problem.

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is such a wonderful forum of helpful people!

I also wonder does anyone have recent experience of children doing both A levels and the Australian Year 11/12 (eg siblings etc) and is one much more stressful than the other, or are both pretty similar. I am lucky my kids are diligent and hard working at school but I hear A levels are much more stressful and I don't know if that is true or not. Thanks again. 

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is such a wonderful forum of helpful people!

I also wonder does anyone have recent experience of children doing both A levels and the Australian Year 11/12 (eg siblings etc) and is one much more stressful than the other, or are both pretty similar. I am lucky my kids are diligent and hard working at school but I hear A levels are much more stressful and I don't know if that is true or not. Thanks again. 

Both are stressful but I get the impression Australian HSC is closer to the Scottish Highers than the English A levels. 

When I lived in Scotland I did my Highers and then had the option to do either A levels or Sixth Year Studies, both required an extra year of study

2 hours ago, Undecided99 said:

I don’t know the answer but I wouldn’t get too worried either way.  Thousands of kids do A Levels every year and are just fine.