Stuck between 2 countries & its ruining my soul

Jess377383

1 hour ago, s713 said:

The discussion was about someone 'being stuck' in Australia and then a 'when in Rome' comment was thrown in. You then weighed in with the muslim angle, which some people always seem to do with these types of discussion.

No bother, I'm not really that interested.

No. I merely reacted to your statement as i have experienced living  in other countries and know it’s not always possible to live as you want. 

• Like 2

On 13/05/2021 at 10:57, s713 said:

You see, I've never been able to work out that attitude. Why aren't you entitled to live your life however you want, wherever you live?

I think it's about degrees of difference. So long as people obey the law, pay their taxes and don't force their views on others I see no problem holding negative/ positive views about a country of residence. The 'fit in or push off' narrative ( being polite here) doesn't allow for people to feel different unless they pretend otherwise. And that in itself seems more than a bit totalitarian and generally not very healthy,  either for society or the individual. Tx

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tea4too said:

I think it's about degrees of difference. So long as people obey the law, pay their taxes and don't force their views on others I see no problem holding negative/ positive views about a country of residence. The 'fit in or push off' narrative ( being polite here) doesn't allow for people to feel different unless they pretend otherwise. And that in itself seems more than a bit totalitarian and generally not very healthy,  either for society or the individual. Tx

No argument there but like other posts it has also missed the point.  The original post in this line of discussion was about people taking the easy option and blaming the host country for their untenable predicament. Yet any such predicament is very unlikely to have been deliberately generated by the host country in relation to a specific predicament. The system is just far too big and complicated to be deliberately stirring an individual's indignation.   

Australia is not interested in you, me or the other poster who "dislikes Australia" necessarily, unless you or I owe taxes, or need to use Medicare, or be directed to participate in the Australian Census, or to vote, and a few other matters. Apart from that, whatever situation we find ourselves, whether good or bad, its our fault.        

• Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

No argument there but like other posts it has also missed the point.  The original post in this line of discussion was about people taking the easy option and blaming the host country for their untenable predicament. Yet any such predicament is very unlikely to have been deliberately generated by the host country in relation to a specific predicament. The system is just far too big and complicated to be deliberately stirring an individual's indignation.   

Australia is not interested in you, me or the other poster who "dislikes Australia" necessarily, unless you or I owe taxes, or need to use Medicare, or be directed to participate in the Australian Census, or to vote, and a few other matters. Apart from that, whatever situation we find ourselves, whether good or bad, its our fault.        

Well to be fair I think the author of the post I quoted is best placed to decide whether my reply missed their point or not. But I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that a host country deliberately sets out to make individuals unhappy and, having reread the OP, I can't see where the poster has blamed the host country for an untenable predicament?

People move constantly, sometimes a few hundred miles as in my case or thousands as in most of those on PIO. But to some extent we all contribute to the community in which we live and work through our taxes and the professional and social interactions we make. If we are happy and settled - great. On the other hand if we don't like certain aspect of the culture or lifestyle I would have thought that living in a civilised democracy means we are free to say so, without being accused of being at fault  for not being a member of the happy and settled group. T x

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tea4too said:

I would have thought that living in a civilised democracy means we are free to say so, without being accused of being at fault  for not being a member of the happy and settled group. T x

They will never be happy and settled if they hate place, now will they?

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2021 at 09:14, Jess377383 said:

I’m feeling really stuck between Aus and the UK... I absolutely love the lifestyle here in Australia but I miss my friends & family back in the UK so much. 

I’m worried we will go back to the UK and hate the lifestyle, I’ve got so used to the sun, swimming in the ocean, the expansive countryside etc etc. BUT I’m terrified of staying here too because I’m missing out on valuable time with my parents who won’t be here forever! I’m also tired of missing birthdays, christmasy, weddings etc back home with the people I care about most. 

I’m also 30 and at the age where I’d really like to be thinking about buying a house, kids, blah blah. And feel like we can’t possibly embark on that journey until we have committed to a country. 

My partner and I are currently on PR and can apply for citizenship in February but we have told our family we will be home for good for Christmas which I want to be but I also want Australian citizenship. I’m aware that whilst Febuary is not far away the citizenship process is a 12 month + ordeal and feel like with covid I can’t be away from home much longer - the guilt is killing me. 

A bit of a brain splat but does anyone have any words of wisdom? Should we stay or should we go?

As many have said - obtaining citizenship is a good idea as who knows what’s in store for all of us further down the track. Def worth hanging in a bit longer for, I’ve been here 15 years and think about England every single day. Wow! Every day! That’s a sad life for me to inhabit eh? Decent life on paper but miss my homeland. Husband won’t return to the UK. Teenage boys are ‘ Australian’ You’re at a great age to move back. Some people will never truly settle. I’m one of those. 

Citizenship is a good idea and then you are truly young and free to make sound decisions. 

All the best. 

Edited by proud preston
Posted twice!
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the same position as you 3 years ago. Personally, I would definitely get the citizenship as it's always good to have options (especially or the sake of just one Christmas!). If the move back to the UK doesn't work out then you have a route back.It's really hard finding work over here at the moment so I would say that you should try to secure a role first back here. As I see it let's consider the workst case scenario, you cme back to the UK, after an initial honeymoon period you regret it (as impossible as that might sound to you now), you then have no citizenship to return and no job to return to. I'm sure your return to the UK will be fine but if it isnt it would be good to have a return strategy.