PR for oz but what if we have baby in UK

Guest Esther

Hi just wondered if anyone knew the answer to this one. We are currently in australia on a PR visa. I am really struggling with homesickness and we are thinking about returning home. We would like a baby - question is if we have a baby back in UK can we bring the baby back to oz with me on my visa if we decide to come back???

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi lovey

If you come ack to the UK and give birth here, then you would have to get a child visa for Baby, and Baby would need his/her own passport. If the Baby is born in Oz, citizenship might be automatic, though I am not sure about that.

I am SO sorry to hear that you are not happy in Oz at the moment.

Chooks, whereabouts in Oz are you? Members of this group are practically everywhere in Oz and I am sure that they would help out. I personally know a particularly good antidote for homesickness in Malbourne! By the time she had bustled in and mothered you back to happiness, you would probably need a new wardrobe thanks to weight gain!

Come on, petal. You CAN get through this bout of homesickness and you know that you can. I am going to PM my mate in Melbourne right now and ask her to take a look at this thread.

Cheers

Gill

xx

Guest kerryandduncan

Hi

I'm new to this forum, it's great!

We are in the middle of our application and have been trying for a baby. I asked what would happen if I fell preggas during and I was told that the baby will automatically be given a visa but you have to apply for it. I would have thought that it would be as straight forward as a copy of the birth cert as proof and thats it.

Our application was reciepted in Oct depending on the result of this we will then go on to have our meds. Not knowing when is doing my head in I don't know whether to sell our stuff or not!

Any way hope I've helped.

Kerry

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi there

If the child is born in Australia it will be assigned the same residence status as you. So if you are permenent residents, then the child will be PR. If citizens, then it will be a citizen.

Just got this reply from OZ high commision in london:

"You will need to apply for Child Migration. The fee is currently 580 pounds (as of 1/01/07) and processing times are 4-12 weeks. Child Migration applications, though, are prioritised over all other applications.

If granted the permanent visa, your child will need to enter and validate their visa before their medicals expire, which is 12 months from the date they were obtained.

"

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi there

Thats right if you have baby outside Australia.

However, if you are in Oz when you have the child and are PR's the status is as I have said above

Good luck

Phil

Guest spray21

Another issue that might affect you is the health checks that require xrays etc - do babies have to have them too? I know they can cause problems for pregnant women applying, but I guess you have crossed that hurdle already?

How long have you been in Australia? If it isn't very long then why not give it a proper go and try sticking it out? Like Gill says there are so many people out there willing to help and 'be friends'* - everyone is new at some point. If you decide to move around with baby be prepared for plenty of extra hassle and expense. (As well as a bundle of joy, of course)

*I know it sounds ridiculous but it's how I'm thinking of it. When I arrive in April I need as many people to 'be friends' as possible!! :)

Sorry Phil, that's not correct.

If a p/r has a child born in Australia the child automatically becomes an Australian citizen at birth.

Where a baby is born outside Australia to a p/r the baby will need a Child visa to attain the same visa status as its parents. In the UK such an application would be processed by the Australian High Commission in London.

Best regards.

Hi there

Thats right if you have baby outside Australia.

However, if you are in Oz when you have the child and are PR's the status is as I have said above

Good luck

Phil

Archived