Waitress sponsorship - how?

LuluJayne1991

Not an urgent question at all and this is more a case of me being nosey! I have a British friend who I met in Sydney a couple of years ago. She was working as a waitress/bartender - not at a managerial level or anything. Our busy lives meant we hadn’t spoke for a while, but I noticed she was still in Australia past the time her second year WHV was due to end so I sent her a message and she said her job had sponsored her. We swapped a few messages back and forth but I didn’t pry further on the visa situation.

Waitress/bartending isn’t on the skills list (if it was, I’d have been able to settle here years ago), so how is this possible? Is there some loop hole I’m not aware of? Or a case of straight up fraud? I swear, everyone knows someone that managed to stay in Aus without the skills.

The reason I’m interested is because I did it the proper way - I put a lot of effort into qualifying as a social worker in Aus. My partner has worked so hard to support us both whilst I studied and it has been a very stressful two years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad my friend found a way to stay in in this wonderful country, but I can’t help but feel a little frustrated that I had to put so much effort while others easily find ways round the system. I hope this post doesn’t come across as bitter because that’s not my intention at all.

Edited by LuluJayne1991
Spelling
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Is it possible that your friend had other skills and qualifications which allowed her to get employment and sponsorship in another work area, and that waitressing was only a temp job?

It’s definitely the same place. I’m wondering if it could be through the ‘restaurant/cafe manager’ skill and they embellished her role a little? Who knows. If I ever have a proper catch up with her, I’ll have to find out and report back. 

3 minutes ago, LuluJayne1991 said:

It’s definitely the same place. I’m wondering if it could be through the ‘restaurant/cafe manager’ skill and they embellished her role a little? Who knows. If I ever have a proper catch up with her, I’ll have to find out and report back. 

There are special provisions right now due to Covid, whereby people on a WHV have been allowed to stay on for an extended period to fill roles (not permanently).   

As Mariswright confirmed there are special arrangements since corvid, that enable those on WHV's to extend their stay. This was due to the alleged chronic shortage of staff in service and tourist related areas, as well as farm type work. Do you know for sure that this person has obtained PR? Or could it be purely an ongoing extension owing to the unusual circumstances? 

9 hours ago, LuluJayne1991 said:

Not an urgent question at all and this is more a case of me being nosey! I have a British friend who I met in Sydney a couple of years ago. She was working as a waitress/bartender - not at a managerial level or anything. Our busy lives meant we hadn’t spoke for a while, but I noticed she was still in Australia past the time her second year WHV was due to end so I sent her a message and she said her job had sponsored her. We swapped a few messages back and forth but I didn’t pry further on the visa situation.

Waitress/bartending isn’t on the skills list (if it was, I’d have been able to settle here years ago), so how is this possible? Is there some loop hole I’m not aware of? Or a case of straight up fraud? I swear, everyone knows someone that managed to stay in Aus without the skills.

The reason I’m interested is because I did it the proper way - I put a lot of effort into qualifying as a social worker in Aus. My partner has worked so hard to support us both whilst I studied and it has been a very stressful two years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad my friend found a way to stay in in this wonderful country, but I can’t help but feel a little frustrated that I had to put so much effort while others easily find ways round the system. I hope this post doesn’t come across as bitter because that’s not my intention at all.

Waiters are able to be sponsored in very limited circumstances under Labour Agreement provisions.

12 hours ago, LuluJayne1991 said:

My niece is in a similar position and working country WA, she does manage the pub and has been sponsored but only for 2 years (this may be similar for your friend and it is only a temporary visa).

20 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

The shortage is not alleged, it is very real.

Yet for some reason locals cannot be enticed to work in these positions. I fully realize the difficulty finding people to work on some remote farms or road houses, but in tourist areas? Cafes and the like? Perhaps more a case of not wanting to work for wages on offer?