Back to UK for vaccine?

mt9754

8 hours ago, Ken said:

Because they'll take quarantine spaces away from people who have been waiting longer. For whatever reason it's not a first come, first served system and anyone allowed to leave the country is going to push their way in to the re-entry queue.

Very interesting. Sounds like that problem should be fixed then?

I know for most of us this is momentary inconvenience.  As painful as it is being parted from loved ones for 2 or 3 years, we will be reunited again, and we have decades more ahead of us where we will still be mobile and able to travel.  But there are plenty of other folks with less than decades ahead and it does seem wrong for those people to be denied the freedom to leave the country.

4 hours ago, newjez said:

You did read the article didn't you parley?

They said they do NOT think there was a link to the vaccine.

It is sad, but no more sadder that all the other deaths that occurred last week.

In Europe the numbers with blood clots is lower int he AZ vaccinated population than in the rest of the population, but that doesn;t stop anyone..

• Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 00:09, Parley said:

A Canadian woman in her 50s has died after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine and developing a blood clot in her brain.

I'm waiting for Pfizer myself. What is the hurry ? We have no covid in the community. I doubt we will have major outbreaks again. The odd small manageable situation like in WA will happen from time to time.

Watch out for that myocarditis then, or portal vein thrombosis.

5 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Very interesting. Sounds like that problem should be fixed then?

I know for most of us this is momentary inconvenience.  As painful as it is being parted from loved ones for 2 or 3 years, we will be reunited again, and we have decades more ahead of us where we will still be mobile and able to travel.  But there are plenty of other folks with less than decades ahead and it does seem wrong for those people to be denied the freedom to leave the country.

As someone who sadly certainly doesn’t have decades ahead, and whose only grandchildren are in UK, i calmly accept the present situation. I’m not overly in a rush to fly anywhere long haul, we normally pre covid went to UK  for 3 months most years, of course I will miss seeing our son and grandsons, but that’s how it is at the moment, and I can’t understand that people are so desperate that they think flying out through a loophole through NZ is ok.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ramot said:

As someone who sadly certainly doesn’t have decades ahead, and whose only grandchildren are in UK, i calmly accept the present situation. I’m not overly in a rush to fly anywhere long haul, we normally pre covid went to UK  for 3 months most years, of course I will miss seeing our son and grandsons, but that’s how it is at the moment, and I can’t understand that people are so desperate that they think flying out through a loophole through NZ is ok.

Maybe because for some people their entire families are abroad. Some people, especially those getting older, or with life-limiting medical conditions, may have no relatives - or even close friends - here, and knowing that they could be spending the rest of their lives here, never having the chance to see any of their family again, could easily make people willing to make use of any loophole they can find. 

With the current date for Australia to vaccinate the majority of people being July/August 2023, and the government saying that even with vaccinations they are reluctant to open the border, I can certainly see why some feel they will do anything to be with their loved ones again. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Maybe because for some people their entire families are abroad. Some people, especially those getting older, or with life-limiting medical conditions, may have no relatives - or even close friends - here, and knowing that they could be spending the rest of their lives here, never having the chance to see any of their family again, could easily make people willing to make use of any loophole they can find. 

With the current date for Australia to vaccinate the majority of people being July/August 2023, and the government saying that even with vaccinations they are reluctant to open the border, I can certainly see why some feel they will do anything to be with their loved ones again. 

If they choose to move permanently to live with their loved ones, they will not be denied

33 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

With the current date for Australia to vaccinate the majority of people being July/August 2023, 

Where on earth did you get that date from ? That is ridiculous. It will be by end 2021 and probably a lot earlier.

• Like 1

Just now, Parley said:

Where on earth did you get that date from ? That is ridiculous. It will be by end 2021 and probably a lot earlier.

To be fair, I think that date was mentioned by critics as the likely date IF they keep going at the current glacial pace. But they are promising to ramp up.

The official government date (which they tend to avoid mentioning) is mid 2022 I think.

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

To be fair, I think that date was mentioned by critics as the likely date IF they keep going at the current glacial pace. But they are promising to ramp up.

The official government date (which they tend to avoid mentioning) is mid 2022 I think.

Do you have a link ?

1 minute ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I believe this is the analysis being referenced. 

If current vaccine rollout rates remain as they are then it would be late 2023 for full population vaccination. 

2B537AE5-7491-46FF-AEC0-856EF020A649.jpeg

That is nonsense.. Is that from The Guardian ?

It will be complete by mid 2021.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

So you chose to type a very distant date it would finish rather then the date the government has stated 

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

So it will be over two years before the majority have had their vaccine?  Is that what the government are now saying as I’ve not seen that and I find that hard to believe.  Apologies if true though, please share your knowledge. 

1 minute ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I’m sure you are right. 

All they need to do is a slight increase from 47,000 doses per day to 717,000 per day, starting from today. 

Ridiculous indeed.  

It doesn't work like that. We have 40m Pfizer doses coming in Q4.

Weren't you one of those applauding when the EU blocked a big shipment heading for Australia ?

6 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

So you chose to type a very distant date it would finish rather then the date the government has stated 

One could argue “so you choose to believe the governments 3rd published date, despite the last two dates having failed and you choose to ignore the current data showing the rate of rollout”

now I’m not saying that they CANNOT improve the pace or that they won’t improve the pace. I’m sure that they will. 

But the evidence in front of us is that the current rollout pace is below the governments third projection, so there has to be some skepticism that it it going to be met. 

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 2

There seems to be a lot of people not taking the vaccine up there. That must facture in the low amount of jabs being done right now. It’s up to the individuals of course but if that’s the case it’s not all the governments fault it’s slow. 

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

It doesn't work like that. We have 40m Pfizer doses coming in Q4.

Weren't you one of those applauding when the EU blocked a big shipment heading for Australia ?

How does 40m doses arriving in Q4 enable the population to be vaccinated by mid year like you just confidently stated?   Time machine?

faith can be a wonderful thing - but it can also cause blinkers to the facts. 

the last thing you assured us would be wonderful and that we should ignore the data on was Brexit.  Thats going just swimmingly! 🙄

and no, I didn’t applaud any such thing as you well know.  Please don’t use slander to distract from facts. 

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

There seems to be a lot of people not taking the vaccine up there. That must facture in the low amount of jabs being done right now. It’s up to the individuals of course but if that’s the case it’s not all the governments fault it’s slow. 

I’m sure that’s correct.  In the U.K. the statistic they often use is “number of adults offered a vaccine”.  Do they use that there?  

I'm depressed about how long this will drag on for, unfortunately a lot of the Australian population are not bothered about opening the borders at all and so the government attitude is currently reflecting that. 

I just hope the daily grilling from all those travel eager journalists and influential economists/big businesses will really pile on the pressure haha.  For once big business is actually on my side lol.

7 minutes ago, mt9754 said:

I'm depressed about how long this will drag on for, unfortunately a lot of the Australian population are not bothered about opening the borders at all and so the government attitude is currently reflecting that. 

I just hope the daily grilling from all those travel eager journalists and influential economists/big businesses will really pile on the pressure haha.  For once big business is actually on my side lol.

Let’s hope so.  Whilst I’d rather empathy for our fellow humans was the driving force over business interests, I’ll take whatever motivation works.  It’s awful watching someone struggling with the sadness of not being able to see their loved ones and even worse, having no idea when they can.   A situation I’m sure is repeated in hundreds of thousands of households around the world.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I’m sure that’s correct.  In the U.K. the statistic they often use is “number of adults offered a vaccine”.  Do they use that there?  

So far they're not really offering it to people but leaving it up to individuals to find out if they are entitled to get it and then it book it in themselves. You really need to look for the info rather than being told about it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, welljock said:

So far they're not really offering it to people but leaving it up to individuals to find out if they are entitled to get it and then it book it in themselves. You really need to look for the info rather than being told about it. 

I agree with you, when I have mentioned to people that I have had my first inoculation, I am asked when was I told it was my turn? Over and over I have explained that it seems up to the individual to go on the government web site, and if you are stupid like me, no comments please, I initially didn’t realise I had to click on the ‘am I eligible’ as I knew I was. to then find out which surgeries were actually on the list.

Easy then to phone up and book, but even then there seems to be no logic as to how much vaccine different surgeries get. My appointment was one week later, a local friend told me her date is in July. I told her to ring round to see if there was an earlier date locally.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramot said:

I agree with you, when I have mentioned to people that I have had my first inoculation, I am asked when was I told it was my turn? Over and over I have explained that it seems up to the individual to go on the government web site, and if you are stupid like me, no comments please, I initially didn’t realise I had to click on the ‘am I eligible’ as I knew I was. to then find out which surgeries were actually on the list.

Easy then to phone up and book, but even then there seems to be no logic as to how much vaccine different surgeries get. My appointment was one week later, a local friend told me her date is in July. I told her to ring round to see if there was an earlier date locally.

I find this just incredible. 

why do you think it’s this way?

38 minutes ago, welljock said:

That's been my feeling too.  I think they thought it being on the news would be enough.

I saw a government coronavirus spokeswoman on TV the other day, being asked why they didn't run a proper public awareness campaign.  She replied that they had distributed lots of material all over Australia.  I have to say, apart from the news, I've seen nothing.  People who avoid the news (and I know a few elderly people who do on the grounds it's too depressing), would have no idea.   I was at the doctor's today and there weren't even any posters there.  

• Like 1