Torn

Klear

I was born and grew up in AUS but have lived in the UK for over 25 years. I am retired. I have dual AUS/BRIT nationality,  as does all of my family. I am married with two young adult children. I have family in AUS including an elderly parent. Life has been good to me in the UK but I am now faced with a situation where one of my children wishes to move to AUS when he finishes uni but the other child wishes to remain in the UK. Both children were born and grew up in the UK but have visited AUS on many occasions over the years. If both children chose to remain in the UK, then my partner and I also would choose to do so. I have taken extensive tax and pensions advice and there are clear benefits to moving to AUS as well as all of the lifestyle pluses that are well known to me. However, I will miss many aspects of my life in the UK, my friends here and of course my child. Having a foot in each country is not an option for tax and pension reasons and I must make the decision of whether or not to move shortly. I understand that this is not a visa issue but I would welcome any insights that others may wish to share. It is not an easy decision as I am sure many on this site would already appreciate! 

50 minutes ago, Klear said:

I was born and grew up in AUS but have lived in the UK for over 25 years. I am retired. I have dual AUS/BRIT nationality,  as does all of my family. I am married with two young adult children. I have family in AUS including an elderly parent. Life has been good to me in the UK but I am now faced with a situation where one of my children wishes to move to AUS when he finishes uni but the other child wishes to remain in the UK. Both children were born and grew up in the UK but have visited AUS on many occasions over the years. If both children chose to remain in the UK, then my partner and I also would choose to do so. I have taken extensive tax and pensions advice and there are clear benefits to moving to AUS as well as all of the lifestyle pluses that are well known to me. However, I will miss many aspects of my life in the UK, my friends here and of course my child. Having a foot in each country is not an option for tax and pension reasons and I must make the decision of whether or not to move shortly. I understand that this is not a visa issue but I would welcome any insights that others may wish to share. It is not an easy decision as I am sure many on this site would already appreciate! 

You could use a binary decision making tool. I've found they have worked very well for me.

Otherwise, I guess you could make a list of pros and cons.

Third option I guess is don't go full commitment, just set up light, and if you like it in Australia, then increase your presence. Maybe start out renting, and then buy after a year if you think things are going well.

If you have kids in both countries, I daresay you will spend some time moving back and forth, and if you are retired, you won't need to rush back. You can take your time and sort things out.