Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My partner and I are at that critical decision stage in our process.  The housing market is booming so we want to sell.

SA have sponsored my partner as a registered nurse.  We are still waiting on AHPRA to grant the registration, so that we can apply for jobs that will support an application for a travel exemption.

Visa granted October 2020 and the clock is ticking on activating it.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences that they can share regarding the supporting evidence required in order to get the travel exemption over the line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need an exemption to travel to Australia if you have gained PR.  You still have to do quarantine though. 


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

You do not need an exemption to travel to Australia if you have gained PR.  You still have to do quarantine though. 

These guys are on a 491 priority occupation.   


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

These guys are on a 491 priority occupation.   

Ah. Didn’t bother to look at their other posts. Best to be clear on visa type! 


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NicMan one question - are you sure you need a job offer before you apply?   I don't see that requirement anywhere.  


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@NicMan one question - are you sure you need a job offer before you apply?   I don't see that requirement anywhere.  

Hi

It isn't explicit but that's why I wanted to put the question out there.

We were hoping that Healthcare Australia would be on point to help us with this but, despite stating that they do on their website, they don't have any community health care roles.

Still waiting on AHPRA as well and they don't have any timescales, it takes as long as it takes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NicMan said:

Hi

It isn't explicit but that's why I wanted to put the question out there.

Look at it this way.  It costs nothing to apply for an exemption.  If you are denied, it doesn't count against you, and you are encouraged to apply again with better evidence. So what do you have to lose?


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, NicMan said:

The housing market is booming so we want to sell.

Something to note: The housing market is also booming. According to my friend (who is an expert in the field) the market is currently inflated 15%-20% and it isn't sustainable to continue at this rate. There is a slump coming. The reason for the inflation is that the short term demand has increased due to people moving from Melbourne, most of these people originated in SA. The long lockdown was the straw that broke the camels back.

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Something to note: The housing market is also booming. According to my friend (who is an expert in the field) the market is currently inflated 15%-20% and it isn't sustainable to continue at this rate. There is a slump coming. The reason for the inflation is that the short term demand has increased due to people moving from Melbourne, most of these people originated in SA. The long lockdown was the straw that broke the camels back.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

We don't plan buying after we move for some time so if we are lucky we sell in a UK boom and buy in an AUS slump.  If we sell in a boom and buy in a boom then so be it that's the nature of the beast.

The catch 22 is that we sell in the UK and take advantage of the better price, but spank too much money on renting (which is out of control over here at the moment also) before getting the green light to cross the border.  Alternatively; we don't sell, wait how ever many months and get a reduced price, but save on inflated rents.

I don't expect that I would want to buy a permanent residence in SA for at least 6 months if not 12.  We need to be sure about the location and probably need to save more towards getting the required 25% deposit for a forever home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Look at it this way.  It costs nothing to apply for an exemption.  If you are denied, it doesn't count against you, and you are encouraged to apply again with better evidence. So what do you have to lose?

Hi @Marisawright

Once the AHPRA comes through we are going to start doing just that.  I'm just interested in anything anecdotal about what those in our situation have directly experienced.  Like many things with governments and official departments, the terminology is never explicit.  So then can turn the tap on and off, they have created a few ambiguous tick boxes. One section is "attach any supporting evidence" - I mean, where's the start and end of that category?

Funny how you are advised throughout your life to never make assumptions because of what it makes us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi NicMan,

We are in the same situation as you. Wife is a nurse, got granted our 491 visa in December 2020. She is also waiting on APHRA registration, her uni have been dragging their feet. We have applied for two exemptions under the critical skills list. We attached everything we could think of and what was asked. But both times they got rejected and their reply was basically that there was no evidence of employment. So I think its safe to say you will need a job offer once her APHRA comes through. Good Luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've received an exemption but already had a job contract to send them..good luck..once you get the job should be straightforward..it can be agency too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be aware that AHPRA will only grant you an approval in principle. The full registration is normally granted after you present to an AHPRA office to verify your identity. ATM most offices are closed, so they recommend that you present to your employer, who will verify your identity. Unfortunately, most employers wont't consider you without full registration, so the whole thing can be a chicken and egg situation. Be prepared to play the numbers game when it comes to applying for jobs whilst overseas.


IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2021 at 11:29, Craig Colas said:

Hi NicMan,

We are in the same situation as you. Wife is a nurse, got granted our 491 visa in December 2020. She is also waiting on APHRA registration, her uni have been dragging their feet. We have applied for two exemptions under the critical skills list. We attached everything we could think of and what was asked. But both times they got rejected and their reply was basically that there was no evidence of employment. So I think its safe to say you will need a job offer once her APHRA comes through. Good Luck!

Hi @Craig Colas

Sorry to hear that you have been unsuccessful with the exemption applications.  When you say that your wife's university are dragging their feet; is this over information that you have requested from them or have AHPRA advised you that they are waiting for something?  Which university are you referring to? Out of interest, if you don't mind me asking.  Which state is sponsoring you?

Nic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KangaKit said:

I've received an exemption but already had a job contract to send them..good luck..once you get the job should be straightforward..it can be agency too?

Hi,

I think we have met on another thread, so apologies if you've said before, but what is the occupation that you have found employment under? Were you successful with an agency as well?  If so, which one?

Thanks for the message

Nic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NicMan said:

Hi @Craig Colas

Sorry to hear that you have been unsuccessful with the exemption applications.  When you say that your wife's university are dragging their feet; is this over information that you have requested from them or have AHPRA advised you that they are waiting for something?  Which university are you referring to? Out of interest, if you don't mind me asking.  Which state is sponsoring you?

Nic

Hi @NicMan

last thing that CGFNS needed from the university was the syllabus which they have finally sent today so they have everything now. CGFNS then forward it on to APHRA so just wait to hear from them now. Qld 491 was hoping to be there around this time now but it’s been very difficult. Hopefully get there by September or October I hope. We are renting our house out here so we are not in a position where we are not in our own house atm which is nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Craig Colas said:

Hi @NicMan

last thing that CGFNS needed from the university was the syllabus which they have finally sent today so they have everything now. CGFNS then forward it on to APHRA so just wait to hear from them now. Qld 491 was hoping to be there around this time now but it’s been very difficult. Hopefully get there by September or October I hope. We are renting our house out here so we are not in a position where we are not in our own house atm which is nice. 

AHPRA have had all the additional documents from us since the end of March.  Everyone online appears to be having different experiences of how long it is all taking so there really is no telling at the moment.

We are looking at September, if it wasn't for the travel restrictions then it would be June due to the timing of certain things.  October 28th is our 12 month deadline on entering to activate the visa.

Have you been to Queensland before?  I spent some time there on my gap year and worked in Brisbane for a few weeks on my way south.  Great city, loads to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NicMan said:

AHPRA have had all the additional documents from us since the end of March.  Everyone online appears to be having different experiences of how long it is all taking so there really is no telling at the moment.

We are looking at September, if it wasn't for the travel restrictions then it would be June due to the timing of certain things.  October 28th is our 12 month deadline on entering to activate the visa.

Have you been to Queensland before?  I spent some time there on my gap year and worked in Brisbane for a few weeks on my way south.  Great city, loads to do.

Yer I have heard different time scales etc. My wife knows more about it than I do tbf. Our 12 month deadline is the 7th of December. Like you say if it wasn’t for this would of hoped to have been there very soon. We lived in Brisbane for nearly 4 years. I’m a geologist and came out a while ago during the boom on a sponsored visa, when it slowed down had no choice but to return home really, wife needed to finish her degree but we have always wanted to go back. We was in Brisbane last March, day before they introduced 2 week quarantine. But our friends wedding was cancelled and I have two little kids and we only ended up staying for 6 days as we didn’t want to get stuck with the little ones there. Was a holiday to forgot but hasn’t put us off one bit! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AHPRA took 5 months for me to get through the first stage - the international assessment. Now I have fully applied for registration, what stage are you at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coxy7 said:

AHPRA took 5 months for me to get through the first stage - the international assessment. Now I have fully applied for registration, what stage are you at?

Hi @Coxy7

we are at the portfolio stage. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NicMan said:

Hi @Coxy7

we are at the portfolio stage. 
 

 

Hi ok, well I just completed the portfolio and that took them 5 months from receiving all the documents, maybe 4 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, reading the gist of this post, it seems that unless you are a 491 granted critical occupation or have a job offer in a critical occupation, you are unlikely to be granted a travel exemption, would that be correct?  I have 491 grant since Feb 2021, though as a Plumber (non critical) for SA, and ready to leave whenever possible.  I have been applying to positions in SA, and unless they offer me a job, then my chances are slim.

Any other person know of people's experiences of non-critical occupations being granted travel exemption with or without job offers please?  Feeling low with hearing that international flights will not likely resume until well into 2022 or even 2023, until Australia sort out their own vaccine rollout meaning Ozzies can leave and return, but what about those skilled visa holders that can't get in? (the clock is ticking for 491s to meet their first entry point and also overall visa conditions to fulfil for future 191).  Need some hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2021 at 06:44, RD there is light said:

So, reading the gist of this post, it seems that unless you are a 491 granted critical occupation or have a job offer in a critical occupation, you are unlikely to be granted a travel exemption, would that be correct?  I have 491 grant since Feb 2021, though as a Plumber (non critical) for SA, and ready to leave whenever possible.  I have been applying to positions in SA, and unless they offer me a job, then my chances are slim.

Any other person know of people's experiences of non-critical occupations being granted travel exemption with or without job offers please?  Feeling low with hearing that international flights will not likely resume until well into 2022 or even 2023, until Australia sort out their own vaccine rollout meaning Ozzies can leave and return, but what about those skilled visa holders that can't get in? (the clock is ticking for 491s to meet their first entry point and also overall visa conditions to fulfil for future 191).  Need some hope!

Your first entry point is irrelevant at the moment, the immigration authorities have issued a statement saying that they won't revoke any grant issued during this COVID period just because you couldn't arrive by your first entry date, effectively making all recent grants have a "must enter by date" being the same as the "cannot enter after date" (so for most people a period of about 5 years)

You do (as you say) have a valid concern about the clock on the 191 qualification as they haven't said anythign about that yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The text below was on an email I recieved from immigration

The current processing priorities (with the highest priority listed first) are:

1.       Visa applications for any points tested subclass where the Department has determined that the applicant has an occupation within a Critical Sector.

2.       Subclass 491 (non-Critical Sector) – applicants are in Australia

3.       Subclass 491 (non-Critical Sector) – applicants are outside of Australia

4.       Subclass 489 (non-Critical Sector)

5.       Subclass 190 (non-Critical Sector)

6.       Subclass 189 – Points tested stream only (non-Critical Sector)

Reading between the lines this suggests if you haven't got a Critical Sector job, a 189 application right now is probably a waste of time. The flip-side being that anyone who can muster the 65 points fro a 189 application might well get picked up and processed quickly at the moment if they are critical

Really feel for anyone waiting to hear back on  489 application as they will have already been waiting around a year (as the 491 replaced this subclass around then and is now being processed ahead of 489's in the queue)

Edited by Ausvisitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×