Visa choices for Son (non dependent)

PaulRobbo

Hoping for some more great advice.

My wife and I are now Australian Citizens after being on a Skilled Independent 189 for the past 5 years.

Our grown up children are now also living in Australia and looking to settle down here.

They have both just qualified for a Bachelors degree from an Australian uni, but we are not sure what visa pathway would be best for them now.

My son is 26, will have his Bachelors soon.  Is currently on a international student visa and is looking, ideally for a PR, but worst case would go for a longer term temporary visa that has a pathway to PR.

He needs to be able to work and live, preferably close to us in Victoria, but would go to Regional Victoria too.

He will currently get 60 points on the skilled independent or 70 points if he takes and gets a 'superior' IELTS score.

We are less worried about our daughter, she has passed her qualification and has met a lovely partner and applied for a defacto visa.

Paul and Sandra

22 minutes ago, PaulRobbo said:

Our grown up children are now also living in Australia and looking to settle down here.

They have both just qualified for a Bachelors degree from an Australian uni, but we are not sure what visa pathway would be best for them now.

Sadly, being the children of citizens doesn't help, apart from earning them a handful of extra points for some visas. 

It sounds as though your daughter is sorted.  Once she gets her de facto visa, it's a fully independent visa, which she will keep even if the relationship breaks up.

As for your son, he doesn't stand a chance of a PR visa with no work experience.   The next logical step would be a 485 Graduate visa, which would give him some time to gain experience with an Australian employer.  

The bottom line, though, is that it won't do him any good unless his degree and experience qualify him for one of the occupations on the Skilled Lists, and we won't know what that list looks like until the borders reopen.  Word is that it's likely to change quite a bit.  

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Sadly, being the children of citizens doesn't help, apart from earning them a handful of extra points for some visas. 

It sounds as though your daughter is sorted.  Once she gets her de facto visa, it's a fully independent visa, which she will keep even if the relationship breaks up.

As for your son, he doesn't stand a chance of a PR visa with no work experience.   The next logical step would be a 485 Graduate visa, which would give him some time to gain experience with an Australian employer.  

The bottom line, though, is that it won't do him any good unless his degree and experience qualify him for one of the occupations on the Skilled Lists, and we won't know what that list looks like until the borders reopen.  Word is that it's likely to change quite a bit.  

Thanks for the info, I have added some more details too.

My son is doing his degree in Information Technology which should align with the skilled list (crossed fingers).  He does have about 2 years previous experience in IT in the UK, but that would all be pre-qualification.  He has also done about a year (on and off) while on a working holiday and his student visa here in Australia too, but again, this would all be pre-qualification.

Does this impact any of your advice?

I will look into the 485 visa too.

1 hour ago, PaulRobbo said:

Thanks for the info, I have added some more details too.

My son is doing his degree in Information Technology which should align with the skilled list (crossed fingers).  He does have about 2 years previous experience in IT in the UK, but that would all be pre-qualification.  He has also done about a year (on and off) while on a working holiday and his student visa here in Australia too, but again, this would all be pre-qualification.

Does this impact any of your advice?

I will look into the 485 visa too.

Typically, experience gained pre-qualification does not count for visa purposes 

42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Typically, experience gained pre-qualification does not count for visa purposes 

Thanks again, I think the 485 is the best pathway for him for now.

Once again this forum supplies honest and good advice.

Many thanks.

There must have been a reason but what a shame they weren’t included in the parents visa application six years ago.  Perhaps they weren’t dependents  but it sounds like they would have been with their extensive education record.  Fingers crossed it all works out for them. 

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

There must have been a reason but what a shame they weren’t included in the parents visa application six years ago.  Perhaps they weren’t dependents  but it sounds like they would have been with their extensive education record.  Fingers crossed it all works out for them. 

Yes, they were both independent, both living in their own places and both didnt want to move (initially).  We were told by the Australian immigration dept that they would not be granted a PR on our application in their current circumstances.

Time has moved on, they are both here in Aus, both loving the Aussie lifestyle and want to stay.

27 minutes ago, PaulRobbo said:

Yes, they were both independent, both living in their own places and both didnt want to move (initially).  We were told by the Australian immigration dept that they would not be granted a PR on our application in their current circumstances.

It's always wise not to trust the advice of the Immigration department.  The people on the phones are just call centre operators and are notorious for giving out wrong advice.  Who knows, it might have been correct in your situation but they must have been quite young?

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It's always wise not to trust the advice of the Immigration department.  The people on the phones are just call centre operators and are notorious for giving out wrong advice.  Who knows, it might have been correct in your situation but they must have been quite young?

The advice came from our EOI for the PR visa that included my daughter.  They were at the time 21 and 24 years old, so grown up children and nowhere close to being dependent.

They advice we were given, I 100% believe was correct.  They both were over 18, not living with us, both working and in relationships.

Anyway, that is history now, I am looking to the future and how to help my son stay longer.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PaulRobbo said:

Time has moved on, they are both here in Aus, both loving the Aussie lifestyle and want to stay.

We were in a slightly different situation to you.

We moved to Australia on the the old retirement visa with all our 3 grown up children in UK. Two of ours ended up following us here. Our son came in 2006 and studied as a mature international student, through to an MBA, won’t bother you with too much detail, but due to retrospective visa changes, after studying for 31/2 years and qualifying he was then  on a bridging visa for 31/2 years, he was one of only a few ex students luckily to get PR from the 485? visa application, so even then getting PR from studying was not an easy or guaranteed route.

Our daughter came on a WHV at age 30, 9 years ago, was happy to live here for a year, and if she somehow ended up staying here a bonus. She was well qualified and got a 457 visa, but also met someone almost as soon as she arrived. Applied for the partner visa, and still together and married.

I really hope that both of yours manage to stay here, both of ours have never regretted moving here, but it wasn’t an easy journey.