309/100 partner visa - shorter term alternatives?

SamB1

Hi all, 

New to the forum, glad I've stumbled across it.

We live in the UK - I'm British,  wife UK/Australia dual citizen (born in UK), and young daughter. 
We've previously lived in NZ, and have always had in mind to move to Australia as a long-term option - we have a number of friends and family throughout the West Coast.

I'm looking to apply for a 309/100 partner visa, although the expected wait time seems to be around 18-24 months.
We've previously put off putting in the application due to the cost, and were waiting on the outcome of our final (also expensive) IVF cycle.

Once applied for the 309/100 visa, are there are options for applying for other shorter-term work visas in the interim?

Or is it possible to apply for shorter-term work visas, and then apply for a 820/801 visa on-shore?

I'm finance qualified, so should be eligible for special skills. 

Thanks,
Sam

55 minutes ago, SamB1 said:

I'm looking to apply for a 309/100 partner visa, although the expected wait time seems to be around 18-24 months.

Processing times for many new applications are much shorter than this at the moment as the Department is keen to hit its higher than usual target numbers.

56 minutes ago, SamB1 said:

Or is it possible to apply for shorter-term work visas, and then apply for a 820/801 visa on-shore?

Yes you could, but you would need a sponsoring employer ... most applicants would enter on a visitor visa and then lodge a partner application, particularly at the moment.

56 minutes ago, SamB1 said:

Not sure what you mean by this?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SamB1 said:

Hi all, 

We live in the UK - I'm British,  wife UK/Australia dual citizen (born in UK)...

No, the waiting time is much shorter than that, if you're applying from the UK.  We had one person posting here, in the last few weeks, whose application was processed so fast that they hadn't even had time to submit all their evidence!    With all other visa applications practically at a standstill, it looks like they're getting to partner visas much faster now.

And that's  a point that's relevant to you, too.   Unless you are in a Priority Occupation, your chances of any kind of work visa are extremely slim anyway until the borders reopen, so you may as well bite the bullet and do the 309.

Also get your daughter's Australian passport if you haven't already.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies - this is really useful information. 

I think that we'll look to getting an off-shore application sorted out soon, to try to get it in the pipeline as quickly as possible. 
I should be able to gather most of the documents together fairly quickly, but it looks like I'll need to get the health assessments sorted ahead of application.
Is it best to have these all sorted ahead of sending everything off?

I think my daughter is eligible for citizenship by descent (after a period of 2 years in country). Would it be a better idea simply to add her as part of lodging the application?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SamB1 said:

I think that we'll look to getting an off-shore application sorted out soon, to try to get it in the pipeline as quickly as possible. 
I should be able to gather most of the documents together fairly quickly, but it looks like I'll need to get the health assessments sorted ahead of application.

I think my daughter is eligible for citizenship by descent (after a period of 2 years in country). Would it be a better idea simply to add her as part of lodging the application?

I'd suggest your first move should be to hire a good agent.  I know it's an expense on top of the expensive visa, but it will be money well spent.  The partner visa requirements are complicated so it's easy to make a mistake, and many couples underestimate the amount of evidence needed.  Immigration are intolerant and won't come back to ask for more information, or ask, "did you mean.. _____?" They'll just reject the application and that's your money gone.  The agent will be able to advise on when to do the medical and how to approach your daughter's situation.  

Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2021 at 18:47, SamB1 said:

Thanks for the replies - this is really useful information. 

For a 309/100 you can't book the health assessment until you've submitted your application - doing that generates a referral letter you need to book it with (or at least it did in my case). I submitted my 309/100 on 28 Feb, booked a health assessment in straight away and had it on 4 March with both the 309 and 100 then being granted on 23 March at the same time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bowbow said:

For a 309/100 you can't book the health assessment until you've submitted your application - doing that generates a referral letter you need to book it with (or at least it did in my case). I submitted my 309/100 on 28 Feb, booked a health assessment in straight away and had it on 4 March with both the 309 and 100 then being granted on 23 March at the same time. 

Thanks for this! Very exciting for you.. are you making plans to get on over there now?

So was your visa turnaround from submission to grant less than 1 month? Where did you submit your application from?

And did you prepare the submission yourself, or make use of an agency?

On 09/04/2021 at 16:18, SamB1 said:

Hi all, 

We live in the UK - I'm British,  wife UK/Australia dual citizen (born in UK), and young daughter. 
We've previously lived in NZ, and have always had in mind to move to Australia as a long-term option - we have a number of friends and family throughout the West Coast.

We've previously put off putting in the application due to the cost, and were waiting on the outcome of our final (also expensive) IVF cycle.

Once applied for the 309/100 visa, are there are options for applying for other shorter-term work visas in the interim?

Thanks,
Sam

Most other people have already answered the original question.

But I do want to add, that Australia offers Public Health Service IVF for around $1500 AUD a cycle. It's one of the most cost effective options world wide, and as effective as private practice IVF. So you could do another round here in Australia if you feel you have the energy and desire for it, if cost is your only major hurdle.