Jump to content
Proview220

exemption to leave Qld

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi Has anyone applied for exemption to leave Australia QLD as a Citizen with dual uk & Au passports? if so what's the procedure ??

 

Has anyone left Australia without exemption recently on uk passport only ?

 

Edited by Proview220

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Proview220 said:

Hi Has anyone applied for exemption to leave Australia QLD as a Citizen with dual uk & Au passports? if so what's the procedure ??

 

Has anyone left Australia without exemption recently on uk passport only ?

 

If you are an Australian citizen you must leave Australia using your Australian passport. It is irrelevant if you hold another citizenship.

Do you normally live in Australia ? What is your reason for wanting to leave the country ?

If you live in Australia you would need a compelling reason to be able to leave during the pandemic.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Proview220 said:

Hi Has anyone applied for exemption to leave Australia QLD as a Citizen with dual uk & Au passports? if so what's the procedure ??

Has anyone left Australia without exemption recently on uk passport only ?

Getting out is quite easy, by all account - it's getting back where the problem it. I'm sure you're aware of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Getting out is quite easy, by all account - it's getting back where the problem it. I'm sure you're aware of that.

The outbound exemption process has been made stricter recently.  It's no longer sufficient to just say that you are going out for more than three months.  Now you also need to have a compelling reason and make a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

The outbound exemption process has been made stricter recently.  It's no longer sufficient to just say that you are going out for more than three months.  Now you also need to have a compelling reason and make a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration.

That's good. During the British summer time some people were using it as an excuse to make extended overseas holidays. I even saw a FB group dedicated to people who were looking for ways to fiddle the Australian system, so they could get back to the UK for family visits. Clearly the two week's quarantine and the fees don't both some people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Proview220 said:

Hi Has anyone applied for exemption to leave Australia QLD as a Citizen with dual uk & Au passports? if so what's the procedure ??

Has anyone left Australia without exemption recently on uk passport only ?

You must have your Aussie passport to leave the country.   

The procedure is simple. You fill out a form and attach your evidence:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia#toc-6

You need to show sufficient evidence of why  you're leaving. Why do you want to go?   If you're leaving permanently, you need to attach things like a quote for shipping your stuff, a copy of the notice you've given your landlord or proof that the house is on the market.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is now a new way to get out of Australia without applying for an exemption.  Simply fly to NZ and then travel abroad from there.  To be safe you should book your ex-NZ flight on a different airline, because it's up to the ex-Australian airline to enforce the outbound exemption and if they see your onward travel plans they could theoretically alert the ABF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that if on balance you have lived abroad longer than you have in lived in Australia in the last 12-24 months then they’ll let you out too.  

This rule means I could leave now if I wanted but not after June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rtritudr said:

There is now a new way to get out of Australia without applying for an exemption.  Simply fly to NZ and then travel abroad from there.  To be safe you should book your ex-NZ flight on a different airline, because it's up to the ex-Australian airline to enforce the outbound exemption and if they see your onward travel plans they could theoretically alert the ABF.

The rules on this are clear: 

“Note: This only applies when New Zealand is the destination of travel. If you are transiting through New Zealand to another destination, you must apply for an outward travel exemption.”

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

  • Like 1

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2021 at 14:06, paulhand said:

The rules on this are clear: 

“Note: This only applies when New Zealand is the destination of travel. If you are transiting through New Zealand to another destination, you must apply for an outward travel exemption.”

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

Right you can't transit directly, but there is nothing stopping you from flying to NZ and then booking another ticket to go overseas:

https://www.traveller.com.au/new-zealand-travel-bubble-loophole-means-australians-can-travel-to-other-countries-via-nz-h1uzn7

A spokesperson for Australia's Border Force confirmed the agreement would not see New Zealand authorities preventing Australians from travelling on to other countries.

"Currently, New Zealand does not prevent Australian citizens leaving New Zealand and travelling onwards overseas, however anyone arriving into Australia or New Zealand from any other country must enter into quarantine or mandatory isolation as directed by the relevant government departments and health authorities," the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said an exemption would still be required if Australians were transiting through New Zealand to another country, but would not say how the government would define "transit".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rtritudr said:

Right you can't transit directly, but there is nothing stopping you from flying to NZ and then booking another ticket to go overseas:

 

The big question is, why would you bother?   If you're leaving Australia permanently, you can already get an exemption to leave, so there's no need to fly via NZ.   If you want to go overseas for a shorter period, it may be easier to "escape" via New Zealand, but you're still going to have the huge headache of getting back.

  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×