Migration Agent Recommendations - Parent Visa 870 / Resident Return Visa 155

slacey84

Hi,

I am looking for a migration agent recommendation to assist with one of the above visa applications.

I am an Australian Citizen, but would like for my parents to come to Aus. Both are/were permanent residents but have not returned to Aus for many years due to substantial compelling reasons. We are hoping to apply for an RRV subclass 155 visa when it is possible but would like a migration agent to help with the application process due to requirement to provide background on why they left and did not return. This may be a choice of migration lawyer, or migration agent - but happy to hear anyone's thoughts.

Should the above not be a viable route, we are also looking at applying for the subclass 870 visa (5 year).

I have previously use Emergico Migration for my permanent residency application, but not overly confident in their services.

If someone has any experience in one of the above applications and can provide useful pointers please feel free to do so.
Thanks! Happy to provide any further information if needed.

Generally speaking, if you have previously held a permanent visa, then it is worth considering an RRV as a first option. Success will obviously depend on the strength of the substantial ties and, if necessary, the compelling reasons for an extended absence. A Registered Migration Agent will be able to provide greater detail once they know the specific circumstances of your situation. I don't believe that a lawyer would be necessary in this instance.

• 1 year later...
On 08/04/2021 at 10:32, paulhand said:

Generally speaking, if you have previously held a permanent visa, then it is worth considering an RRV as a first option. Success will obviously depend on the strength of the substantial ties and, if necessary, the compelling reasons for an extended absence. A Registered Migration Agent will be able to provide greater detail once they know the specific circumstances of your situation. I don't believe that a lawyer would be necessary in this instance.

Can I ask if it is only worth applying for a 155 visa if you plan to return on a permanent basis at that time? I am returning for a holiday next month but plan to return permanently in the next few years - will a tourist visa jeopardise this at all?

6 hours ago, pinkk8 said:

Can I ask if it is only worth applying for a 155 visa if you plan to return on a permanent basis at that time? I am returning for a holiday next month but plan to return permanently in the next few years - will a tourist visa jeopardise this at all?

I'd say you're on a sticky wicket whichever way you go.  Do you meet the 2 years out of 5 criteria currently?   If not, you'll only get a one year RRV.  That's just meant to give you time to get yourself organised and come back to live in Australia.  If you don't do that, then that can be a black mark against you -- they gave you one chance already and you didn't use it, why should they give you another one? 

On the other hand, I don't know what effect using a tourist visa will have.  Paul has indicated it will make more complex and he's the expert. 

However the bottom line is that the longer you wait, the harder it will be to get a RRV.  

Edited by Marisawright