To renew or not!

ToowoombaBlue

1 hour ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

My UK passport expires in May and I’m nearly a year into my citizenship application.

Question. Would you renew your passport or not bother and wait for the Aussie one? 
I’ve no desire to visit the UK anytime soon!

For the £80 (ish) it costs I would renew and then it doesn't matter how long the Aussie passport takes to come through should you need to travel in a hurry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

My UK passport expires in May and I’m nearly a year into my citizenship application.

Question. Would you renew your passport or not bother and wait for the Aussie one? 

I wouldn't bother unless you can think of a reason why you might need to leave in a hurry - or you just fancy a quick trip to New Zealand!

I tried to maintain 5 years between my Australian and UK passports renewal dates (I currently have three). I was granted Irish citizenship last year so when I get my Irish passport arrives I probably won't bother applying for a UK one again, unless we move back to the UK. I think the Irish one will be more useful given the current circumstances.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I tried to maintain 5 years between my Australian and UK passports renewal dates (I currently have three). I was granted Irish citizenship last year so when I get my Irish passport arrives I probably won't bother applying for a UK one again, unless we move back to the UK. I think the Irish one will be more useful given the current circumstances.

Not bothered with anything but the Aussie passport for years. Just another cost that you don't need.

2 years ago we went to Greece, the UK and France. Getting into the UK was quicker than if we'd had a UK passport, the line was really long for them and because of Brexit there was no special treatment of EU residents.

When we went to France on Eurostar we were through quicker than my FIL, he was well peed off with that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Not bothered with anything but the Aussie passport for years. Just another cost that you don't need.

2 years ago we went to Greece, the UK and France. Getting into the UK was quicker than if we'd had a UK passport, the line was really long for them and because of Brexit there was no special treatment of EU residents.

When we went to France on Eurostar we were through quicker than my FIL, he was well peed off with that.

LOL, We did the same, just got Aussie ones and never renewed the UK ones. When flying to UK, Spain, Amsterdam and the Canary Islands we have had no problems and found passport control was wayyy quicker too.

Cal x

6 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I agree, and I reckon having a UK passport in future will be a serious disadvantage when travelling to Europe. I'm sure the Eurocrats will have created a special queue for the Brits, where they will be subjected to a lot of long and tedious checks as an act of petty retribution!

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I agree, and I reckon having a UK passport in future will be a serious disadvantage when travelling to Europe. I'm sure the Eurocrats will have created a special queue for the Brits, where they will be subjected to a lot of long and tedious checks as an act of petty retribution!

They might be petty, but I think we can safely assume they Brits will still be in the same queue as the Aussies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

They might be petty, but I think we can safely assume they Brits will still be in the same queue as the Aussies.

I imagine there will be 3 queues; EU citizens, countries with a half-arsed arrangement with the EU (UK, Switzerland etc) and the rest of the world - so hopefully, we still won't be in the same queue as the Brits - if we are ever allowed out to visit Europe again! 🙂

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I imagine there will be 3 queues; EU citizens, countries with a half-arsed arrangement with the EU (UK, Switzerland etc) and the rest of the world - so hopefully, we still won't be in the same queue as the Brits - if we are ever allowed out to visit Europe again! 🙂

There is now a backdoor out of Australia, through NZ.

On 06/04/2021 at 19:24, ToowoombaBlue said:

Both my UK and Australian passport have expired and i haven't renewed them yet.

There is no point renewing a passport until you are planning a trip otherwise you are just wasting money, losing years on a passport you aren't using.

Actually the Australian passport office has lost many millions this year because people cannot travel and have not been renewing their passports.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Both my UK and Australian passport have expired and i haven't renewed them yet.

There is no point renewing a passport until you are planning a trip otherwise you are just wasting money, losing years on a passport you aren't using.

Actually the Australian passport office has lost many millions this year because people cannot travel and have not been renewing their passports.

Fair enough. Under normal circumstances I'd go overseas every year so I always keep at least one of mine up-to-date. The renewal process can sometimes take quite a while.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 17:50, Wanderer Returns said:

Fair enough. Under normal circumstances I'd go overseas every year so I always keep at least one of mine up-to-date. The renewal process can sometimes take quite a while.

3 weeks to get my replacement UK passport , no issues 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

3 weeks to get my replacement UK passport , no issues 

They're really good at it in the UK - the online system works great. I think mine only took 2-3 weeks when I renewed it. I liked the fact that I could take my own photo, so for the first time I don't look hideous! My Australian passport took quite a while longer though.