Jump to content
Frank Oz

The Commute... Dandenong Ranges to CBD

Recommended Posts

Looking to move to Belgrave or thereabouts this year and wondering if anyone had good experience of the commute.

How long does the commute take by car to/from the CBD? What's it like outside of rush hour?

Would people recommend getting the train from Belgrave to CBD? Is it a reliable line or are there delays/cancellations all the time?

From the comments I've been reading lately BTL on newspaper articles, Melbourne freeways are like glorified car parks at rush hour. Is this a huge exaggeration or near to the truth? I'm used to a 1hr+ commute in the UK anyway so anything similar wouldn't phase me.

And where's the traffic worst - coming from the N, S, E or W suburbs?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Frank Oz said:

From the comments I've been reading lately BTL on newspaper articles, Melbourne freeways are like glorified car parks at rush hour.

It's all relative.  I lived in Sydney and I'd say Melbourne traffic is similar.  At one time I would have made the "glorified car parks" comment myself, but then I spent a year in Southampton in 2016 and I am still scarred from the experience.   Compared to the South of England, our freeways are empty.

I may get shot down for this, but I do think that in general, the British are better drivers.  They're more decisive and precise.  They have to be, or they wouldn't survive long on those fast, busy roads!   So while Australian roads are quieter, there are more idiots about.

The easy way to check driving times is to use Google Maps.  Use the Directions facility and set it at different times of day.  You can set it to show traffic densities etc. too.

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgrave is a good train line. I would think the train is the best bet. It will be a lot cheaper when you consider wear and tear on a car, petrol, parking in the CBD etc.

It will probably be an hour on the train, but you can read and it won't be as stressful as driving in every day.

The more you drive too the more likely you are to have an accident so I would get the train if it was me.

  • Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's all relative.  I lived in Sydney and I'd say Melbourne traffic is similar.  At one time I would have made the "glorified car parks" comment myself, but then I spent a year in Southampton in 2016 and I am still scarred from the experience.   Compared to the South of England, our freeways are empty.

I may get shot down for this, but I do think that in general, the British are better drivers.  They're more decisive and precise.  They have to be, or they wouldn't survive long on those fast, busy roads!   So while Australian roads are quieter, there are more idiots about.

The easy way to check driving times is to use Google Maps.  Use the Directions facility and set it at different times of day.  You can set it to show traffic densities etc. too.

Thanks Marisa.

I'm in the South of England so that's a helpful comparison. A commute here that's meant to take 45mins can quite easily double... or more. You just factor that in, it's to be expected.

Google maps suggests around 1hr give or take. If accurate, that doesn't seem so bad to me.

I'll stay out of the who's the better driver argument until I'm there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Parley said:

Belgrave is a good train line. I would think the train is the best bet. It will be a lot cheaper when you consider wear and tear on a car, petrol, parking in the CBD etc.

It will probably be an hour on the train, but you can read and it won't be as stressful as driving in every day.

The more you drive too the more likely you are to have an accident so I would get the train if it was me.

Ok thanks Parley. Good to know it's a decent line. I do a mix of train/car in UK as good to have options, but generally prefer the train for those reasons. Quite happy to have an hour of peace at the start and end of the day.

Plus, from brief investigation the fare for a day ticket is only 9AUD!? In the UK that length of journey would be about 20 quid!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frank Oz said:

Thanks Marisa.

I'm in the South of England so that's a helpful comparison. A commute here that's meant to take 45mins can quite easily double... or more. 

Similar in Sydney or Melbourne. We used to live in Oatley which is 20 minutes drive from the city centre at 9 pm. At 8am on a weekday, it has taken me 2 hours. But Google maps does reflect that if you use the time feature 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frank Oz said:

 

Plus, from brief investigation the fare for a day ticket is only 9AUD!? In the UK that length of journey would be about 20 quid!!

That’s one thing that really shocked us when we were in So’ton. Melbourne fares very reasonable by comparison 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×