Redundancy on 482

Hi all, could anyone advise on my situation, whereby I've been made redundant, currently on garden leave for a couple more weeks. Now due to my age, the business was complying with fair work rates to enable me to apply for residency, this started back in 2014 or 15. Along the way they made an error and the process had to start again for a further four years, I have been on the required salary level for over three years. My question is, can I apply for residency off my own back directly with immigration? The only response I have received from the agents we used was that I need to find an alternate sponsor to remain in Oz.

Thanks

I would book a proper consultation with an agent - either the one you used before, or try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.  "Time is of the essence", as they say, so you can't afford to flounder around trying to find the answers yourself.  A good agent can look at your qualifications and experience and advise if you have any chance of getting PR in your own right.  While you're organising that, get busy looking for another sponsor as a backstop.

Edited by Marisawright

17 hours ago, andy653cc said:

Hi all, could anyone advise on my situation, whereby I've been made redundant, currently on garden leave for a couple more weeks. Now due to my age, the business was complying with fair work rates to enable me to apply for residency, this started back in 2014 or 15. Along the way they made an error and the process had to start again for a further four years, I have been on the required salary level for over three years. My question is, can I apply for residency off my own back directly with immigration? The only response I have received from the agents we used was that I need to find an alternate sponsor to remain in Oz.

Thanks

Reading between the lines, it seem you were trying to apply with the high income age exemption for a subclass 186. If this is the case, an independent visa is unlikely.

A professional assessment may be wise, as it is not possible to advise based on such minimal information.

If you are already using an Agent, you should ask them for an assessment of option as they will have all of your information already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

What is 'garden leave'?

When you leave a company and are still on the payroll during your notice period, but are not required/permitted to be in the office during that time, nor can you work for someone else. Hence you have time to do some gardening. It's pretty common in some industries, particularly if the person was dealing with commercially sensitive information.

33 minutes ago, paulhand said:

When you leave a company and are still on the payroll during your notice period, but are not required/permitted to be in the office during that time, nor can you work for someone else. Hence you have time to do some gardening. It's pretty common in some industries, particularly if the person was dealing with commercially sensitive information.

Ah right. Thanks, I've never heard of that term before.

Edited by Canada2Australia