IELTS - academic to boost points

LandM

Hi there PIO community

i wonder whether anyone knows- I am an ‘English girl’ born and bred - and have a degree, PGCE and Masters all from UK universities. 
would you recommend taking the IELTS Academic test - though I don’t neeeeed to - but simply to boost my score as I’m 40 and worrying that I need all the help I can get. 
thanks for reading

lisa

It seems that most native English speakers feel that taking the English test is an insult. In fact, as Marissa pointed above, the main reason is to jump as far ahead of the queue as you possibly can. 

You'd be surprised how poorly native English speakers fare in the test if they don't prepare adequately. 

• Like 2

Yes and don't treat it with disrespect. Plenty of teachers have "failed" IELTS because they though it was beneath them.

I've said before on here I stuffed my first IELTS exam despite have a master's degree in English (which if anything should absolve you of needing to take IELTS to get full English points you'd assume that was it)

I have a related possibly daft Q

what order so we do the following in:

a) sit IELTS test

b) send off EOI

c) apply to the assessing authority for a migration skills assessment

thanks in advance for your help

lisa

You seem to have many questions around this process. Can I politely suggest you speak with a migrant agent to ensure you’re on the right path. It’s too important to get wrong.  There are some excellent agents who regularly post on here.  Best of luck.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LandM said:

I have a related possibly daft Q

what order so we do the following in:

a) sit IELTS test

b) send off EOI

c) apply to the assessing authority for a migration skills assessment

thanks in advance for your help

lisa

Wait a minute, you're not the primary applicant, so you doing the test won't help.

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You seem to have many questions around this process. Can I politely suggest you speak with a migrant agent to ensure you’re on the right path. It’s too important to get wrong.  There are some excellent agents who regularly post on here.  Best of luck.

This x2

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 05/04/2021 at 04:06, LandM said:

Thanks everyone! Yes, we have made contact with GoMatilda so should hear this week. 
yes, following advice on this forum, it will be my husband applying and doing the test ☺️
thanks again

Unless you are going for a anzsco code that requires IELTS academic you can choose the simpler IELTS course for migration purposes.

More to the point if your assessment doesn't require IELTS I would opt for PTE test instead.

Ive got a master's in English and I didn't get the 8+ required for full marks on the IELTS test (but then I also assumed I'd walk it so did no prep). I then did the PTE and full marks in every section and it was the simplest test I've ever done.

• Like 1