LandM

IELTS - academic to boost points

Hi there PIO community

i wonder whether anyone knows- I am an ‘English girl’ born and bred - and have a degree, PGCE and Masters all from UK universities. 
would you recommend taking the IELTS Academic test - though I don’t neeeeed to - but simply to boost my score as I’m 40 and worrying that I need all the help I can get. 
thanks for reading

lisa

Yes, almost everyone takes the English test these days.   Competition for visas is so fierce and it's a real struggle to get enough points otherwise.  You need every point you can get.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

It seems that most native English speakers feel that taking the English test is an insult. In fact, as Marissa pointed above, the main reason is to jump as far ahead of the queue as you possibly can. 

You'd be surprised how poorly native English speakers fare in the test if they don't prepare adequately. 

• Like 1

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Yes and don't treat it with disrespect. Plenty of teachers have "failed" IELTS because they though it was beneath them.

I've said before on here I stuffed my first IELTS exam despite have a master's degree in English (which if anything should absolve you of needing to take IELTS to get full English points you'd assume that was it)

Oh wow!!! Really!?! Really good to know tho - I’ll get studying!! Thank you!!!

I have a related possibly daft Q

what order so we do the following in:

a) sit IELTS test

b) send off EOI

c) apply to the assessing authority for a migration skills assessment

thanks in advance for your help

lisa

Get boxes ticked, max your points, then EOI. I'd strongly advise the 190 over 189. Choose a state where you want to live for a couple of years. If they want you from the essential skills list you may get lucky.

Posted (edited)

You seem to have many questions around this process. Can I politely suggest you speak with a migrant agent to ensure you’re on the right path. It’s too important to get wrong.  There are some excellent agents who regularly post on here.  Best of luck.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LandM said:

I have a related possibly daft Q

what order so we do the following in:

a) sit IELTS test

b) send off EOI

c) apply to the assessing authority for a migration skills assessment

thanks in advance for your help

lisa

Wait a minute, you're not the primary applicant, so you doing the test won't help.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You seem to have many questions around this process. Can I politely suggest you speak with a migrant agent to ensure you’re on the right path. It’s too important to get wrong.  There are some excellent agents who regularly post on here.  Best of luck.

This x2

• Like 1

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Thanks everyone! Yes, we have made contact with GoMatilda so should hear this week. 
yes, following advice on this forum, it will be my husband applying and doing the test ☺️
thanks again

• Like 1

Good luck!