Newmigrant

Things you wish you knew before building

Hey guys just about to embark on purchasing our forever home in Perth WA. We are seriously considering building but it seems daunting and much more difficult that buying. also we want a pool so that seems to push the price up alot. However thinking of getting the house and then pool in a year or two?  Would love some tips and things you wish u knew before starting. Also did u use a broker or go through the builder for finance? 

There was a thread on this topic - also from someone in W.A. - last October: 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/211825-building-a-home/?tab=comments#comment-2594229

The W.A. government has a website guide for prospective home builders: 

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/atoms/files/homebuyerssurvivalguidesectionthreebuildingahouse.pdf

20 hours ago, Newmigrant said:

Hey guys just about to embark on purchasing our forever home in Perth WA. We are seriously considering building but it seems daunting and much more difficult that buying. also we want a pool so that seems to push the price up alot. However thinking of getting the house and then pool in a year or two?  Would love some tips and things you wish u knew before starting. Also did u use a broker or go through the builder for finance? 

I don't think I would ever do a new build. Everyone seems to think they will make their perfect forever home, but there are always compromises mistakes you make. My parents did several and were never happy. At least when you buy pre existing you get to choose, and you can modify things if you don't like them. It's often easier to improve something someone else has done rather than create from scratch.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

It really depends a lot of the existing properties in some areas are expensive to renovate and have asbestos to factor in. It was widely used here.  With a new build you can save on stamp duty and build in better insulation etc.  we built and do not regret it. Look at lots and lots of display homes and work out what your priorities are. 
Would build again. Not sure I would do anything differently. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

At the moment a lot of plots for new builds are so small you wouldn't fit a pool in.   I rented new builds previously in Melbourne and I would say be careful who your builder is!  The show houses may look good but a lot of houses are very poor quality.  

Just depends what you are looking for as well, I like having a bit of space rather than just having a colourbond fence and 6 inches of ground between us and the neighbours. Now in Perth to get land that is affordable you would be looking a good bit out from the city, so consider travel time as well if you are working in the CBD.

If you are going down the new build route do plenty of research on the builder and check out product review websites.

Read the contract carefully and get professional advice on the contract and each stage of the building.