Electrical Gap training

Chris g100

1 hour ago, Chris g100 said:

Hi

Has anyone gone through the electrician gap training in Australia and can tell me what’s involved?Im currently a rail signal electrician but from what I’m reading I would need to complete my gap training in domestic and industrial?

thanks

Chris I will pm you if I may 

Hi Chris 

not sure if it changes much from state to state but I did my Gap training in Adelaide. 

if you have your OTSR you can apply for a restricted license that will class you as a TA until you complete the training to get the Cert 3 required to get the full license. 

The gap training here is generally a 3 week block in college which runs you through the regs and sit a capstone exam at the end of it. 

Once the college work is done you will need to document around 6 months of work experience. If you are already working you might be able to use some of that to help cover the 6 months. 

it’s a pain to do but worth it in the end. 

good luck 

Thanks for the reply.

what are the options like without an otsr?im going through the process but the Mrs can get us over there quicker.

is it not possible to work as a trades assistant without the restricted licence?just wondering what would happen when on shore.

also with the work experience does it have to be in a specific area for example could I not use experience in risk because it’s not domestic?

thanks

I work with a guy from Canada and he is now struggling to get his OTSR but that’s mainly because he had limited post apprentice experience before he moved out. 

if you can get it over there it would be much easier to transfer when you come out here. I know they run courses out of Melbourne but not sure on times etc. 

not sure how it works without the restricted license but you can definitely still work as a TA. Just have to be careful with what you want to do and what sites as they like to see licenced trades over here. 

I did my OTSR through a company called Vetassess. Just reach out to them and look at timings. I took me 3 months to get my skills approved but that was pretty quick and not sure what they are doing about skills tests there now because they normally fly someone over to carry out the practical test. 

You will be alright with the job work for the documents over here they just need to see really that you have been working in the electrical sector 

Thanks for the reply

Ah right so its easier to do here. I have started the process already so hopefully thats going to happen.

Can I ask what you mean careful with what I do?do you mean in the sense of making sure it covers what they require for the gap training?

What sort of work based evidence are they looking for for the gap training is it mainly domestic

Thanks again

Chris

No sorry meant it in the sense of what work you were doing if you wanted to be an electrical TA without a restricted license. 

For  instance if you were to work on a major construction site or a big infrastructure project you would probably need to hold a license to do any electrical work but if you were to work in other areas you would probably be ok without it. Just depends what you want to do when you get here. 

Best advice I could give would be to try and get the college work done ASAP and start filling out the practical work log as once you have a license it’s much easier to find work. 

• 4 months later...
On 31/03/2021 at 23:41, Curly said:

Hi Chris 

not sure if it changes much from state to state but I did my Gap training in Adelaide. 

if you have your OTSR you can apply for a restricted license that will class you as a TA until you complete the training to get the Cert 3 required to get the full license. 

The gap training here is generally a 3 week block in college which runs you through the regs and sit a capstone exam at the end of it. 

Once the college work is done you will need to document around 6 months of work experience. If you are already working you might be able to use some of that to help cover the 6 months. 

it’s a pain to do but worth it in the end. 

good luck 

Hello, Curly. I am living in Adelaide as well. I just got my OTSR few months ago and be going to have the gap training course in PEER, as the requirement, I need to finish 12 month electrical work and the signed off by the employer or supervisor, Do you have any ideas about how to find an employer or jobs like this. Apparently, we looks like the 4th electrical apprentice, but not that much guys hire 4th electrical apprentice, most of them are hiring the trainees from the first year. Thank you very much.

Hi Joshua

You will get classed as a TA. This means you will be paid a lower wage but higher than a 4th year. It’s good you have already started in PEER as this will speed up the process and you should be able to do it quicker than 12 months if you have full time work. 
On a job point of view I would keep applying for jobs and look around to find some companies to drop in and introduce yourself face to face. 
Also try Red Appointments as even though I’m not looking they are constantly sending me messages. 
Hope that helps a little and are you looking to work in Service, Housing or commercial?