Surfers Paradise versus Surry Hills (Sydney)?

MARYROSE02

After eight months in Surfers on the "Goldie" I came back to Sydney last week, driving down with my brother,  overnighting in Kempsey. 

I was happy to stay in Surfers Paradise forever but I could not leave my unit as it was with a mate looking in from time to time, sometimes staying there. My cat was well overdue for her annual medical at the vet.

I came back to Sydney with the intention of sorting things out here, maybe renting my flat out and putting my stuff into storage, then heading straight back to Surfers. 

Odd thing is that I slipped straight back into my Surry Hills life which is basically the same as in Surfers ie two cafes and three or four pubs where I'm still a local. Surfers Paradise is Surry Hills with a beach and, as long as I don't get into a car free of Sydney's horrible traffic.  Surry Hills has a tram too but not as convenient as the Surfers service tho I lived right by the stop in Cavill Ave.

I'll see how I go after Easter, maybe go up to Surfers, this time on my own which is also different ie will I like it on my own?

I could go over to Perth too!

I don't thn

26 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Odd thing is that I slipped straight back into my Surry Hills life ...

I don't think it's odd at all.   You lived there a long time before you went up to Surfers.  The routine is in your bones!  And of course you're still a local.   

To be honest, I can't see why you would move anywhere else. You are comfortable there, you have a nice unit which is all set up the way you like it.  Rather than ask yourself, "where will I go?", you should be asking yourself, "why do I want to move?" 

I cannot see any reason why you'd uproot yourself to move to Perth, no matter how much you like the place.  On the other hand, I can see a strong argument for moving up to Surfers permanently IF you have family there.  But that would be the only valid reason I can think of.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Are you sure you're getting a full picture of Surfers? My impression is that its very touristy and given the Covid restrictions it might not have been as busy as it can be.

That is a VERY good point.  I remember going on holiday to Noosa and loving it, but we arrived the week before Christmas.   I was talking to some locals and they said, "just wait till Boxing Day".   Sure enough, from Boxing Day onwards it was mayhem, and I understood why the locals live further out, away from the beach!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I don't thn

I don't think it's odd at all.   You lived there a long time before you went up to Surfers.  The routine is in your bones!  And of course you're still a local.   

To be honest, I can't see why you would move anywhere else. You are comfortable there, you have a nice unit which is all set up the way you like it.  Rather than ask yourself, "where will I go?", you should be asking yourself, "why do I want to move?" 

I cannot see any reason why you'd uproot yourself to move to Perth, no matter how much you like the place.  On the other hand, I can see a strong argument for moving up to Surfers permanently IF you have family there.  But that would be the only valid reason I can think of.

Good advice as usual Marisa. I blame all the uncertainty on Covid-19.  I had no intention of going to Surfers but then I did.  So, I'll see how things develop.

1 hour ago, Melbpom said:

Are you sure you're getting a full picture of Surfers? My impression is that its very touristy and given the Covid restrictions it might not have been as busy as it can be.

I LIKE the touristy part! Of course Covid-19 has disrupted the businesses and there are no overseas tourists but at weekends it Is rammed. Mon to Thursday it is relatively quiet.

The touristy part is where everything is within walking distance - beach, 3 supermarkets, numerous bars, restaurants, cafes,  shops,  with two big shopping malls which I rarely go to a few minutes away on the tram.

As soon as you get away from the lively bits you are thd same distance from the beach but all the services disappear,  and if you move into the hinterland to buy a house (rather than a unit) it is hot because no more sea breeze and hellos traffic and just like being in the burbs of any city.

After 8 months I'd moved from "tourist" to "local", starting to make a few friends.

The problem for me is that I'm back in Surry Hills (which on the weekends is every bit as wild except for the clubs as Surfers) and suddenly I don't know where I want to be.

Come to think of it people often go on holiday to a place and think "Wow! I want to live here" but living is not the same as holidaying? But in my case I did move from holidaying to living!

I like both places, the same way some of us like both Australia and the UK equally.  I did at one time, going back and forth including a 12 year stint in the UK. Perhaps I'll now do the same here and ping pong between Sydney and Surfers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

That is a VERY good point.  I remember going on holiday to Noosa and loving it, but we arrived the week before Christmas.   I was talking to some locals and they said, "just wait till Boxing Day".   Sure enough, from Boxing Day onwards it was mayhem, and I understood why the locals live further out, away from the beach!

The trouble is, when you move away from the beach you lose the advantages of being on the beach in the first place, and although I don't know Noosa and the Sunshine Coast, if it's anything like Surfers and the Gold Coast, you can move inland,  get a house on the river if you can afford it, but you need a car, maybe two cars because it's too hot to walk anywhere and buses and trains may not be convenient. 

I'd walk out of the Surfers Paradise Surf Club and straight onto the beach. I could do a lttle circular walk 15 to 20.mins to take in the promenade. I love the Sydney beaches but they are 7km away. That was the only time I needed a car.

In Surfers I don't need a car at all. I don't mind the tourists either. Without them all the other services would vanish. 

I've been told that Noosa is much nicer than Surfers Paradise although that is subjective.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I LIKE the touristy part! ....

The problem for me is that I'm back in Surry Hills (which on the weekends is every bit as wild except for the clubs as Surfers) and suddenly I don't know where I want to be....!

I like both places.....Perhaps I'll .....ping pong between Sydney and Surfers.

I think you're like my husband. He doesn't feel the need of a lot of friends or social activity, but he does like to be in the middle of a lively city with lots of "buzz" going on.  

In your shoes, I would make Surry Hills your permanent home, because that's where you belong. You've got everything organised there, you have your regular doctor, pub, access to good services etc.  No need to deal with all the anxiety and hassle of finding a place to buy in Surfers, packing up, moving house, your cat getting stressed, etc.   If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Not that hard to go on holiday for a month or so to Surfers, every year if you want, especially once Covid is over.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

...even better,  buy a Surfers pad, so you can hop up there whenever you feel like a change.   If you've got most of your belongings in the Surry Hills unit, you'd only need a one bedroom or even a studio in Surfers

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-surfers+paradise-135505970

You might even have enough money in your super to buy it outright.  Five minutes' walk to the Surf Club!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Surry Hills.

Why?

Because it is the village in the city. I like Surfers Paradise but lets face it, its Cavill Avenue and a couple of off-shoot side streets most of which seem to cater for tourists, hen's night outs and 19 year-olds drinking craft gin and having their money taken off them. In the 30 years or so since I have been visiting the Gold Coast I have never seen live music. Never once.

The potential lies with SH in my opinion. The NSW government is committed to rejuvenating the night life of Sydney which, in its heyday, was world class. I am not sure whether this commitment will be a revelation however brining live music back into the back bars of pubs in Surrey Hills and venues on the south side of the city would be a wonderful thing.

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Surry Hills.

Why?

Because it is the village in the city. I like Surfers Paradise but lets face it, its Cavill Avenue and a couple of off-shoot side streets most of which seem to cater for tourists, hen's night outs and 19 year-olds drinking craft gin and having their money taken off them. In the 30 years or so since I have been visiting the Gold Coast I have never seen live music. Never once.

The potential lies with SH in my opinion. The NSW government is committed to rejuvenating the night life of Sydney which, in its heyday, was world class. I am not sure whether this commitment will be a revelation however brining live music back into the back bars of pubs in Surrey Hills and venues on the south side of the city would be a wonderful thing.

Craft gin? I've not encountered that!? There's a rum bar in Surry Hills tho.

Live music? Well, venues for bands are non existent now BUT in Surfers they do have guitarists in a few places, Sand Bar, Surfers Paradise SLSC, Diggers Club, House of Brews.

You have to distinguish between tourists and locals too, not there's anything wrong with "weekend warriors" down from Brisbane, or, in the case of Surry Hills,  suburbanites heading into the city.

We are all tourists at some time after all.

True bands are gone I'm afraid  -  2 guitars, bass, drums? It's one guy maybe two with backing tapes.

On 28/03/2021 at 09:34, MARYROSE02 said:

I LIKE the touristy part! Of course Covid-19 has disrupted the businesses and there are no overseas tourists but at weekends it Is rammed. Mon to Thursday it is relatively quiet.

The touristy part is where everything is within walking distance - beach, 3 supermarkets, numerous bars, restaurants, cafes,  shops,  with two big shopping malls which I rarely go to a few minutes away on the tram.

As soon as you get away from the lively bits you are thd same distance from the beach but all the services disappear,  and if you move into the hinterland to buy a house (rather than a unit) it is hot because no more sea breeze and hellos traffic and just like being in the burbs of any city.

After 8 months I'd moved from "tourist" to "local", starting to make a few friends.

The problem for me is that I'm back in Surry Hills (which on the weekends is every bit as wild except for the clubs as Surfers) and suddenly I don't know where I want to be.

Come to think of it people often go on holiday to a place and think "Wow! I want to live here" but living is not the same as holidaying? But in my case I did move from holidaying to living!

I like both places, the same way some of us like both Australia and the UK equally.  I did at one time, going back and forth including a 12 year stint in the UK. Perhaps I'll now do the same here and ping pong between Sydney and Surfers.

That's a nice problem to have MR. Pick your times of year and spend a bit in each if you can afford it. No ties by the sound of it so you can please yourself. Sounds brilliant😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Really? Plenty of real bands in venues and hotels in SA as well as solo singer/ songwriters with a guitar. 

Oh I agree with that. Adelaide's night life is far better than Sydney.  Its like Chernobyl over here after dark. Thankfully, or at least hopefully, things are changing for the better though as there is now a task force established by Gladys to get live music back into large and small venues.    

On 28/03/2021 at 09:45, MARYROSE02 said:

The trouble is, when you move away from the beach you lose the advantages of being on the beach in the first place, and although I don't know Noosa and the Sunshine Coast, if it's anything like Surfers and the Gold Coast, you can move inland,  get a house on the river if you can afford it, but you need a car, maybe two cars because it's too hot to walk anywhere and buses and trains may not be convenient. 

I'd walk out of the Surfers Paradise Surf Club and straight onto the beach. I could do a lttle circular walk 15 to 20.mins to take in the promenade. I love the Sydney beaches but they are 7km away. That was the only time I needed a car.

In Surfers I don't need a car at all. I don't mind the tourists either. Without them all the other services would vanish. 

I've been told that Noosa is much nicer than Surfers Paradise although that is subjective.

Noosa is nice. In fact I preferred a lot of the Sunshine Coast to the Gold Coast, felt a bit more upmarket and a bit quiter, still has everything you could want though. Noosa would be hellish expensive.

If you really like the beach then it's a no brainer, you could sell your Sydney place and get a nice place on the goldie and have cash to spare I would imagine.

17 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Craft gin? I've not encountered that!? There's a rum bar in Surry Hills tho.

Live music? Well, venues for bands are non existent now BUT in Surfers they do have guitarists in a few places, Sand Bar, Surfers Paradise SLSC, Diggers Club, House of Brews.

You have to distinguish between tourists and locals too, not there's anything wrong with "weekend warriors" down from Brisbane, or, in the case of Surry Hills,  suburbanites heading into the city.

We are all tourists at some time after all.

True bands are gone I'm afraid  -  2 guitars, bass, drums? It's one guy maybe two with backing tapes.

That's a shame. Not been to Sydney for a long time but had some great work trips there. Always stayed around Kings Cross as we worked at Garden Island, usually the Holiday Inn opposite the coca cola sign. There used to be an Irish pub at the back of there that had live bands on most nights. A couple of other pubs around Darlinghurst and even in the City had a lot of live music, has it changed that much?

17 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Yes its quite sad. The noise restriction laws wiped out the big hotel and club gigs. However I think there is definitely an opportunity for what is known as "front bar bands" which is used to describe bands that have smallish gear and often consist of maybe Bass ( especially double acoustic bass) a small drum kit, a keyboard or a guitar, and maybe a saxophone. They can easily keep within the noise restrictions and generally take over only a corner in the pub.  That is probably the future or something like it.  

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Yes its quite sad. The noise restriction laws wiped out the big hotel and club gigs. However I think there is definitely an opportunity for what is known as "front bar bands" which is used to describe bands that have smallish gear and often consist of maybe Bass ( especially double acoustic bass) a small drum kit, a keyboard or a guitar, and maybe a saxophone. They can easily keep within the noise restrictions and generally take over only a corner in the pub.  That is probably the future or something like it.  

That sounds like jazz to me. There was a jazz club down in a basement 2 mins walk from the Holiday Inn too. Nice atmosphere but jazz gets on my nerves after a couple of songs.

I like my live music heavy and loud. Drinking music, as you can't hear anyone speak, you just smile and nod.

22 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

That sounds like jazz to me. There was a jazz club down in a basement 2 mins walk from the Holiday Inn too. Nice atmosphere but jazz gets on my nerves after a couple of songs.

I like my live music heavy and loud. Drinking music, as you can't hear anyone speak, you just smile and nod.

So do I. We live 80km west of Sydney where the noise restrictions are less of an issue. Our local Royal Hotel has been a rock band venue for at least 20 years.  Every Friday night, Saturday Night and front bar bands ( jazz or acoustic guitar groups) on a Sunday.  Its exactly the atmosphere that you describe. You know when its loud when you order a drink at the bar using sign language with the bar staff or just by pointing at a particular beer tap.     

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

So do I. We live 80km west of Sydney where the noise restrictions are less of an issue. Our local Royal Hotel has been a rock band venue for at least 20 years.  Every Friday night, Saturday Night and front bar bands ( jazz or acoustic guitar groups) on a Sunday.  Its exactly the atmosphere that you describe. You know when its loud when you order a drink at the bar using sign language with the bar staff or just by pointing at a particular beer tap.     

Sounds great mate. Went to see The Black Keys at Perth blues club, before they hit it big, they had only released one album. Got in early, right next to the stage and speakers and the were LOUD. Great band to see live. Should have gone a couple years later when they were playing quarry amphitheatre but the drummer broke his arm and the tour got cancelled.

Went for the last AC/DC concert at subi oval, got in early, near the stage. Ears were ringing for 2 days after both those concerts😄

The Blues Club has some great bands on, usually Tuesday nights for blues fans but sometimes weekends for big names.

Be glad when the live scene is back to normal. We've been lucky in Perth mind you, it's never really stopped but just local acts rather then international, obviously.

There's a really good Pearl Jam tribute band does the rounds. Saw them at the boat in Mindarie, free too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sounds great mate. Went to see The Black Keys at Perth blues club, before they hit it big, they had only released one album. Got in early, right next to the stage and speakers and the were LOUD. Great band to see live. Should have gone a couple years later when they were playing quarry amphitheatre but the drummer broke his arm and the tour got cancelled.

Went for the last AC/DC concert at subi oval, got in early, near the stage. Ears were ringing for 2 days after both those concerts😄

The Blues Club has some great bands on, usually Tuesday nights for blues fans but sometimes weekends for big names.

Be glad when the live scene is back to normal. We've been lucky in Perth mind you, it's never really stopped but just local acts rather then international, obviously.

There's a really good Pearl Jam tribute band does the rounds. Saw them at the boat in Mindarie, free too.

Cover bands are good of course but I have an earthy respect for traditional blues bands. Blues music is never a cover because nobody owns it.

At our local pub (as previously described) there was a band there consisting of what I would call "kids" and they were absolutely marvellous. They played Blues standards and the frontman was a whizz on that harmonica. Amazingly these kids were playing early Fleetwood Mac when Fleetwood Mac was a blues band, The Rolling Stones when they were a blues band, Howlin Wolf etc, and Aussie blues bands such as Chain and the Loved Ones.........all such bands being at their peak decades before these kids were even born.  The crowd loved them. 

Oh yes, and it was loud and that thump from the bass and the bass drum hit you right in the chest. And yes, I was pointing at my favourite beer tap all night 😊.   

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Oh I agree with that. Adelaide's night life is far better than Sydney.  Its like Chernobyl over here after dark. Thankfully, or at least hopefully, things are changing for the better though as there is now a task force established by Gladys to get live music back into large and small venues.    

Chernobyl? Perhaps in terms of live music but not in night life generally. I walked around Surry Hills on Sat eve past innumerable pubs, bars and restaurants.  Most are subject to midnight curfew because it is also residential but there are a number with late licenses till 3am, 4am, all night even.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's a shame. Not been to Sydney for a long time but had some great work trips there. Always stayed around Kings Cross as we worked at Garden Island, usually the Holiday Inn opposite the coca cola sign. There used to be an Irish pub at the back of there that had live bands on most nights. A couple of other pubs around Darlinghurst and even in the City had a lot of live music, has it changed that much?

You made me think about the Hopetoun Hotel in Surry Hills which used to have live bands.  I remember walking in one arvo seeing a band playing in the corner.  The Hopetoun has been closed for a long time. 

I can't even think where you can go to listen to jazz, let alone a rock band. 

The Cross has been "cleaned up." I'm not sure where people go to "club". The city,  Newtown,  Darlinghurst  Double Bay? 

My local pub is open till 3am Thu to Sat, midnight the other nights,  and 3 pubs near Central are open to 4am. No live music though.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Noosa is nice. In fact I preferred a lot of the Sunshine Coast to the Gold Coast, felt a bit more upmarket and a bit quiter, still has everything you could want though. Noosa would be hellish expensive.

If you really like the beach then it's a no brainer, you could sell your Sydney place and get a nice place on the goldie and have cash to spare I would imagine.

I do like the beach but I don't like swimming at Surfers Paradise because it is usually too rough for me. It's wonderful to walk the promenade or along the seashore and it's also wonderful just having this endless beach on your doorstep but I did my swimming there in the pool.

Sydney beaches are also rough but they do usually have ocean pools or, at Bronte, the Bogey Hole which is a pool bounded by a reef. 

• Like 1