JJNot

Missing the UK

Completely understand your situation, we have been in Australia for nearly 5years and about to obtain permanent residency.

Myself, husband & daughter emigrated & brother & family are citizens. Our parents are 4 years into permanent residency application (waiting in the uk)

For the first couple of years I found it hard to settle, our living arrangements here in Oz were not what they were in the Uk but finally we live in a beautiful house that feels like home, just having sold our home in the UK.

I desperately miss my parents who usually  visit every year but restrictions with COVID have prevented this, and at present we have never returned to the UK as yet( mostly due to cost)   It I think that has helped me settle in Oz, focusing on our life here ( husband & daughter love it)

Now I want nothing more to obtain our PR after the long road of emigrating down under,  and I look forward to visiting friends & remaining family in the UK as I am very grateful for being able to live the life we have here especially during COVID,

Theresa 😀

13 hours ago, s713 said:

Australian TV is considerably worse than TV in the UK. Considerably worse. We can call that right now.

Yes, most of the stuff is absolute garbage.  All those awful reality shows  ..........  can't really believe anyone would sit and watch any of them and the endless trashy adverts which seem to pop up every 5 minutes.  Channels 7, 9 and 10 are the worst.  ABC and SBS not so bad.  If it wasn't for my OH who enjoys the sport and a few other things  ............  I would get rid of the TV.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, s713 said:

Australian TV is considerably worse than TV in the UK. Considerably worse. We can call that right now.

Who’s watching TV when there’s so much else to do here? If I was stuck in Blighty it would be a different matter entirely..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

If I was stuck in Blighty it would be a different matter entirely..

Exactly bulya....I would have way more choice for something to do in blighty, some of it available 24 hrs a day, even in the smaller towns the place does not shut down at 6 pm......anyhow as I am here in Aus I suppose I had better get some more batteries for the TV remote................

• Like 3

Anyone subscribed to Britbox. https://www.britbox.com/au/

Looks reasonably priced. But I already have Foxtel (not BBC First currently) and Amazon Prime/Netflix so not sure if there is much extra on there.

I want it all, and I want it now.

2 hours ago, bug family said:

Exactly bulya....I would have way more choice for something to do in blighty, some of it available 24 hrs a day, even in the smaller towns the place does not shut down at 6 pm......anyhow as I am here in Aus I suppose I had better get some more batteries for the TV remote................

You chose Perth.  Nowhere else here shuts down at 6 pm. Nice place to visit and I’ll leave it at that…

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

Who’s watching TV when there’s so much else to do here?

You live in Canberra don't you? I'd expect you'd be glued to the telly 😂

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, s713 said:

I'm guessing you left a while ago. A few years back I'd have agreed, but recently British TV has become a hodgepodge of soap operas, depressing dramas and reality documentaries about people with vaguely interesting lives. Just as I left the UK the Beeb rolled out a series about a bunch of drag-queens b'ching and moaning at each other - talk about a race to the bottom!

• Like 2

TV has improved here from when we first arrived. We dont have any pay TV other than Netflix on the Telstra T Box but we are never short of something to watch in the evening. In fact Channel 9Rush is a big favorite in our house and on 90% of the time the TV is on, they have some good shows on there.

Cal x

• Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

5 hours ago, s713 said:

You live in Canberra don't you? I'd expect you'd be glued to the telly 😂

You have to be joking 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bug family said:

I suspect that poster meant more to do in Australia. But I'm with you. By and large far more going on and hence to do where I lived in UK than here. Far easier access as well. I barely watched any tv for at least a decade. But caught up with some of the things missed over the years since being in Australia. But I did live mostly in London. I found the smaller cities and towns a very mixed bag. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I suspect that poster meant more to do in Australia. But I'm with you. By and large far more going on and hence to do where I lived in UK than here. Far easier access as well. I barely watched any tv for at least a decade. But caught up with some of the things missed over the years since being in Australia. But I did live mostly in London. I found the smaller cities and towns a very mixed bag. 

We didn't have a TV until just before I started high school   ..............  heck we didn't have mains electricity until that time either!  Never really got into the habit of watching the telly.  I lived in a cottage with 3 other girls when doing vet nurse training in the Lake District for 3 years and we didn't have a TV then either.  Couldn't afford one.  We used to go into the next door neighbours' house to watch Top Of The Pops on a Thursday evening. 😄  Can't say we missed it and we were never bored.  After that I worked in France and Belgium and couldn't be bothered making the effort to understand what was being said on the telly then went to the USA where the TV programs were dire so didn't watch much there either.  After that Switzerland ........  not worth watching the TV there unless you understood French or German.  Probably much improved since then but that is probably why I really never got much into telly viewing.

Of course London will offer all sorts of entertainment as will most other cities and large towns. It sounds as if there was plenty of stuff to do where bug family lived but not everywhere in the UK is like that.  Everything is closed by 5 pm in my native town in Scotland (except for pubs and I'm not into pubs) but the place does  perk up a bit during tourist season.  The nearest town with a bit of life about it is over 30 miles away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

I did live mostly in London. I found the smaller cities and towns a very mixed bag. 

Of course you did.  Surely that's the whole point.  You can't say "there's more to do in England than Australia" or "there's more to do in Australia than England".

Every country has its lively towns and cities, and its boring ones.  Even within big cities, anywhere in the world, there are vibrant suburbs and dead ones.  Just look at bugfamily and Paul1Perth, living at opposite ends of the same city - bugfamily is bored to death while Paul hardly has time to scratch himself.

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke