Missing the UK

JJNot

Completely understand your situation, we have been in Australia for nearly 5years and about to obtain permanent residency.

Myself, husband & daughter emigrated & brother & family are citizens. Our parents are 4 years into permanent residency application (waiting in the uk)

For the first couple of years I found it hard to settle, our living arrangements here in Oz were not what they were in the Uk but finally we live in a beautiful house that feels like home, just having sold our home in the UK.

I desperately miss my parents who usually  visit every year but restrictions with COVID have prevented this, and at present we have never returned to the UK as yet( mostly due to cost)   It I think that has helped me settle in Oz, focusing on our life here ( husband & daughter love it)

Now I want nothing more to obtain our PR after the long road of emigrating down under,  and I look forward to visiting friends & remaining family in the UK as I am very grateful for being able to live the life we have here especially during COVID,

Theresa 😀

13 hours ago, s713 said:

Australian TV is considerably worse than TV in the UK. Considerably worse. We can call that right now.

Yes, most of the stuff is absolute garbage.  All those awful reality shows  ..........  can't really believe anyone would sit and watch any of them and the endless trashy adverts which seem to pop up every 5 minutes.  Channels 7, 9 and 10 are the worst.  ABC and SBS not so bad.  If it wasn't for my OH who enjoys the sport and a few other things  ............  I would get rid of the TV.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, s713 said:

Australian TV is considerably worse than TV in the UK. Considerably worse. We can call that right now.

Who’s watching TV when there’s so much else to do here? If I was stuck in Blighty it would be a different matter entirely..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

If I was stuck in Blighty it would be a different matter entirely..

Exactly bulya....I would have way more choice for something to do in blighty, some of it available 24 hrs a day, even in the smaller towns the place does not shut down at 6 pm......anyhow as I am here in Aus I suppose I had better get some more batteries for the TV remote................

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bug family said:

Exactly bulya....I would have way more choice for something to do in blighty, some of it available 24 hrs a day, even in the smaller towns the place does not shut down at 6 pm......anyhow as I am here in Aus I suppose I had better get some more batteries for the TV remote................

You chose Perth.  Nowhere else here shuts down at 6 pm. Nice place to visit and I’ll leave it at that…

20 hours ago, s713 said:

I'm guessing you left a while ago. A few years back I'd have agreed, but recently British TV has become a hodgepodge of soap operas, depressing dramas and reality documentaries about people with vaguely interesting lives. Just as I left the UK the Beeb rolled out a series about a bunch of drag-queens b'ching and moaning at each other - talk about a race to the bottom!

• Like 2

TV has improved here from when we first arrived. We dont have any pay TV other than Netflix on the Telstra T Box but we are never short of something to watch in the evening. In fact Channel 9Rush is a big favorite in our house and on 90% of the time the TV is on, they have some good shows on there.

Cal x

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bug family said:

I suspect that poster meant more to do in Australia. But I'm with you. By and large far more going on and hence to do where I lived in UK than here. Far easier access as well. I barely watched any tv for at least a decade. But caught up with some of the things missed over the years since being in Australia. But I did live mostly in London. I found the smaller cities and towns a very mixed bag. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I suspect that poster meant more to do in Australia. But I'm with you. By and large far more going on and hence to do where I lived in UK than here. Far easier access as well. I barely watched any tv for at least a decade. But caught up with some of the things missed over the years since being in Australia. But I did live mostly in London. I found the smaller cities and towns a very mixed bag. 

We didn't have a TV until just before I started high school   ..............  heck we didn't have mains electricity until that time either!  Never really got into the habit of watching the telly.  I lived in a cottage with 3 other girls when doing vet nurse training in the Lake District for 3 years and we didn't have a TV then either.  Couldn't afford one.  We used to go into the next door neighbours' house to watch Top Of The Pops on a Thursday evening. 😄  Can't say we missed it and we were never bored.  After that I worked in France and Belgium and couldn't be bothered making the effort to understand what was being said on the telly then went to the USA where the TV programs were dire so didn't watch much there either.  After that Switzerland ........  not worth watching the TV there unless you understood French or German.  Probably much improved since then but that is probably why I really never got much into telly viewing.

Of course London will offer all sorts of entertainment as will most other cities and large towns. It sounds as if there was plenty of stuff to do where bug family lived but not everywhere in the UK is like that.  Everything is closed by 5 pm in my native town in Scotland (except for pubs and I'm not into pubs) but the place does  perk up a bit during tourist season.  The nearest town with a bit of life about it is over 30 miles away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

I did live mostly in London. I found the smaller cities and towns a very mixed bag. 

Of course you did.  Surely that's the whole point.  You can't say "there's more to do in England than Australia" or "there's more to do in Australia than England".

Every country has its lively towns and cities, and its boring ones.  Even within big cities, anywhere in the world, there are vibrant suburbs and dead ones.  Just look at bugfamily and Paul1Perth, living at opposite ends of the same city - bugfamily is bored to death while Paul hardly has time to scratch himself.

• Like 4

The concept of 'something to do' is entirely subjective. Individuals have different wants, needs and likes. It's about is the place right for you not how boring or exciting is the place. Some peoole get excited about plants, rocks birds and stars. Others would find that unfulfilling and need more to thrill them. Some prefer space, peace and minimal interaction with others, other prefer high density, noise, a constant buzz.  Therefore you cannot claim a place to be better or worse. Just different. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Of course you did.  Surely that's the whole point.  You can't say "there's more to do in England than Australia" or "there's more to do in Australia than England".

Every country has its lively towns and cities, and its boring ones.  Even within big cities, anywhere in the world, there are vibrant suburbs and dead ones.  Just look at bugfamily and Paul1Perth, living at opposite ends of the same city - bugfamily is bored to death while Paul hardly has time to scratch himself.

Yes. My arguement would be London is a unique place in being an Alpha City. No matter what country it was situated it would be the so, all remaining the same. One either likes and thrives in such an environment or is diminished by it and loathes it. I loved London, what it would be unlikely to suit my personal needs at this stage.  England itself, as I mentioned, I find a very mixed bag.  I suppose a bit like the two posters you mention. Cheese and chalk in Perth opinions. Both being right in own way. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Yes. My arguement would be London is a unique place in being an Alpha City. No matter what country it was situated it would be the so, all remaining the same. One either likes and thrives in such an environment or is diminished by it and loathes it. I loved London, what it would be unlikely to suit my personal needs at this stage.  England itself, as I mentioned, I find a very mixed bag.  I suppose a bit like the two posters you mention. Cheese and chalk in Perth opinions. Both being right in own way. 

I would wager that the 2 posters do not live in altogether dissimilar areas, rather their perceptions of what's on offer is the main variable. I know where  Paul lives and i dont think its a place that suits someone who needs a lot of 'entertainment' Its a place where you utilise what s on your doorstep in terms of the natural world for fun. 

3 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I would wager that the 2 posters do not live in altogether dissimilar areas, rather their perceptions of what's on offer is the main variable. I know where  Paul lives and i dont think its a place that suits someone who needs a lot of 'entertainment' Its a place where you utilise what s on your doorstep in terms of the natural world for fun. 

Quite probably correct. Perth being  of a mostly suburban layout as a area. My take would be Perth for the most part, not really suited to those preferring a cosmopolitan type city of variety and action. It simply isn't that. That's the reason we don't all live in the same few places I suppose. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Quite probably correct. Perth being  of a mostly suburban layout as a area. My take would be Perth for the most part, not really suited to those preferring a cosmopolitan type city of variety and action. It simply isn't that. That's the reason we don't all live in the same few places I suppose. 

Of course. Go to the South West of Western Australia. Perth is, after all, not necessarily representative of the rest of WA. Trip Advisor has nominated that the South West of Western Australia is the best location to either visit or live within the entire Asia Pacific Region.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parley said:

They reckon that Boris will break Maggie's record and be in power for over 11 years.

The country has permanently changed apparently. Previous Labour strongholds are now turned Blue.

I’ve heard people say they know Boris is a lying scoundrel but Labour is so useless, he’s seen as the least worst option 

Edited by Marisawright

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I’ve heard people say they know Boris is a lying scoundrel but Labour is so useless, he’s seen as the least worst option 

I thought that new Labour leader was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I thought that new Labour leader was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Very bland sliced bread.

But you need to put things in context. Labour in WA wiped the floor because they are a pandemic government.  Trump should never have lost his election. Generally war/pandemic governments romp it in, because people have a common cause. The Tories have done so badly, but the vaccines worked and things are looking up. It's not surprising they won.

But saying that, you wouldn't know we had an opposition. There's just nothing, and what there is is so bland. I don't even know what they stand for. They need to do something. They have a lot of work to do just to survive the next election.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You'd have to have rocks in your head to think that.  There's something seriously wrong somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

They reckon that Boris will break Maggie's record and be in power for over 11 years.

The country has permanently changed apparently. Previous Labour strongholds are now turned Blue.

Remind me to renounce my citizenship now....

• Like 2