Have your home cooked meals changed ?

North to South

58 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

🙂

Yes indeed changed.

I lived on fast foods in the UK. My idea of gourmet was sticking a frozen pizza in the oven, having takeaway chips with everything and baked beans on toast. Pot noodles were big on the menu too. Had a Sunday roast every week (which my sister use to cook for me). Fruit and vegetables were limited. Only ever saw fish in batter.

Since moving to Oz, I hardly ever have takeaways, and cook 99% of my meals from scratch

Tastes have changed over the years, but my current Top 3 would be:

1). Lime chicken (done in the Air Fryer), served with Asian style salad

2). Steamed barramundi or salmon, with steamed vegetables - kale, corn on the cob, broccoli

3). Risotto - Chicken, mushroom, pumpkin & peas

Hardly eat out, but if we do, then like fresh seafood platter - prawns, oysters, mussels, crab, lobster, scallops, etc...

Barramundi!  Top stuff…

Can’t find fresh but can buy imported jam at the central markets in SA. We planted a bush but it died whilst we were away recently, irrigation was obviously not enough even though it was shaded, just too hot I guess.

I know the family who own Beerenburg in Hahndorf, they can’t source enough fresh gooseberries  either -  even if they thought it would sell!

• 2 weeks later...

🙂

Actually just thought of something regarding food, that has been a huge change.

When I lived in the UK, the nearest I got to prawns, was those teeny tiny ones you would find in a prawn cocktail (served in a glass with sauce and lettuce).

I remember those being a fancy treat, that I only ever had once a year at the office Christmas staff party.

Now in Australia, I have prawns weekly.

Have to peel, de-vein, marinate and cook them, or I buy cooked ones and have to peel and de-vein them. Either way, weekly is hugely different to my once yearly intake prior.

Didn't know how to prepare fresh prawns when I arrived here, as pretty sure the teeny UK ones came from a jar.

🍤

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 07:22, BeachBabe2022 said:

🙂

Actually just thought of something regarding food, that has been a huge change.

When I lived in the UK, the nearest I got to prawns, was those teeny tiny ones you would find in a prawn cocktail (served in a glass with sauce and lettuce).

I remember those being a fancy treat, that I only ever had once a year at the office Christmas staff party.

Now in Australia, I have prawns weekly.

Have to peel, de-vein, marinate and cook them, or I buy cooked ones and have to peel and de-vein them. Either way, weekly is hugely different to my once yearly intake prior.

Didn't know how to prepare fresh prawns when I arrived here, as pretty sure the teeny UK ones came from a jar.

I actually like the soft teeny ones in a prawn cocktail, they go much better with it....nothing worse than a tiny bowl with 3 big prawns hanging over the side.  The big ones are much better in a prawn curry, or as a fresh plate?

Less :  Pub or club fare over here is very bland and boring, Indian restaurants are nowhere near as good as UK.  Less processed/packaged meals. Less bread/biscuits/unhealthy snacks.

More:  Chinese restauarants, Australia has a far higher standard and much more variation, UK tends to be Hong Kong/Cantonese-biased and then condensed into hybrid fried rice/curry/stir fry junk.  More fish, More fresh meat of better quality, more seasonal veg and fruit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beketamun said:

I actually like the soft teeny ones in a prawn cocktail, they go much better with it....nothing worse than a tiny bowl with 3 big prawns hanging over the side.  The big ones are much better in a prawn curry, or as a fresh plate?

Less :  Pub or club fare over here is very bland and boring, Indian restaurants are nowhere near as good as UK.  Less processed/packaged meals. Less bread/biscuits/unhealthy snacks.

More:  Chinese restauarants, Australia has a far higher standard and much more variation, UK tends to be Hong Kong/Cantonese-biased and then condensed into hybrid fried rice/curry/stir fry junk.  More fish, More fresh meat of better quality, more seasonal veg and fruit.

Morcombe  Bay shrimp. Little brown shrimp that go pink when cooked.  Last had some bought from a little cottage, where an old lady had prepared them from the mornings catch.  Small but intense flavour. That does take me back.

• 1 month later...