Looking for reassurance - has anyone moved back to the UK with a 6 year old? How was it for them and are you all happy?

MumOfTwo

We’ve made the big decision to move our family to the UK, but I’m feeling very nervous, almost guilty, about uprooting our 6 year old son and the potential heartache and suffering it’s going to cause him.

I’m originally from the UK - met my partner here in Perth and we have two sons (Mr 6 who was born in England and came back out here with us at 5 months old, and last year we had another son, who I know will adapt no problem being so young). 

I guess I’m just looking for reassurance around my 6 year old to help put my mind at ease. 

Does anybody have a positive story to share? Have your children settled well in the UK? Any tips or things I should be aware of to help make it easier on him? 

I’m so scared of this move changing him for the worst. He’s such a happy little soul and I don’t know how I’d cope with the guilt if the move makes him miserable 😢

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about it - he'll be fine.  There's no meaningful distinction between the two countries from a 6 year old's perspective.  It's more important that his parents are happy and settled.

If he's got a very close friend he might miss him/her for a couple of weeks but kids are highly adaptable and will move on fast.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reassurance. My partner has lived in the UK briefly when I gave birth to my first son, and he has 3 cousins living there now so some family connection. He’s originally from South Africa though his immediate family are here in Perth. I’m hoping the proximity to so many countries and his job will be enough to make him feel settled there. He agrees Perth isn’t where he wants to grow old, so fingers crossed we’re all happy with the move 🤞🏻

Edited by MumOfTwo

1 hour ago, MumOfTwo said:

Thank you for the reassurance. My partner has lived in the UK briefly when I gave birth to my first son, and he has 3 cousins living there now so some family connection. He’s originally from South Africa though his immediate family are here in Perth. I’m hoping the proximity to so many countries and his job will be enough to make him feel settled there. He agrees Perth isn’t where he wants to grow old, so fingers crossed we’re all happy with the move 🤞🏻

Has he got a visa or will that be another hurdle for you? 

14 minutes ago, MumOfTwo said:

He will be sponsored by an employer in the UK. If that falls through, we will be applying for the spouse visa.

I would advise looking into the spouse visa for the UK - if not now, then once you're settled.   The only difficult bit is the financial hurdle and if you can pass that, the rest is much easier and much, much faster than the Australian version.

• Like 2