Relationship break up and moving back home...

Agz15

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Young people are at very low risk of dying but they're not at low risk of neurological, respiratory or other long-term complications.

Yes they are absolutely at low risk of these things, and no more than the risk to their mental health from lockdown.  I don't understand why everyone tolerance of risk has gone so off kilter! 

7 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m worried about unvaccinated people mingling in large numbers when the South African variant is in ascendancy, which recent studies  suggest may be somewhat resistant to current vaccines including Pfizer.

After such a long lockdown and hard fought reduction in numbers, a slower paced, cautious reopening may have been wise. Time will tell I suppose.

The South Africa variant is stable.  Stats out last week.

13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m worried about unvaccinated people mingling in large numbers when the South African variant is in ascendancy, which recent studies  suggest may be somewhat resistant to current vaccines including Pfizer.

After such a long lockdown and hard fought reduction in numbers, a slower paced, cautious reopening may have been wise. Time will tell I suppose.

Also, idea that the drop is all down to lockdown and not also the weather and the vaccination program is wierd.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The South Africa variant is stable.  Stats out last week.

My worry was/is the possibility it may spread through the population of unvaccinated, younger people. The data is far from conclusive regarding this and Pfizer may indeed be sufficiently effective against it, but it is still enough to worry me:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-israel-study-idUSKBN2BX0JX

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Also, idea that the drop is all down to lockdown and not also the weather and the vaccination program is wierd.

The lockdown started around 6th January and case numbers peaked around a week later, before sharply declining through January and February. When case numbers plummeted, it was still January/February and still winter. At the time case numbers plummeted, only 12%- 25% of the population had received their first shot (late January to late February figures). Even now, there are still only approx 50% of the UK population that have received their first vaccination, and around 12% that have received their second dose.

To my mind, the evidence strongly points towards lockdown as the primary factor in reducing case numbers given the above. As vaccinations hit 60%-70% we would expect their impact to really be felt in the figures going forwards. The UK vaccine rollout has been almost world leading (bar Israel), but it’s the lockdown that put the genie back in the bottle.

D4E7514A-EF39-4081-B3B1-39F64A9D1DE5.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Wonderful to see!  Young people mainly, who are at very low risk, and whose at risk loved ones have now been vaccinated!   What are you worrying about exactly?

My Sister phoned last night. My niece has covid, is an asthmatic and is very sick. They have 3 kids so I guess it's only a matter of time till they all get it.

No one in hospital yet.

The vaccine doesn't stop you from getting it or spreading it BTW. Just reduces the symptoms, hopefully. 

My Niece and hubby are both teachers.

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes they are absolutely at low risk of these things, and no more than the risk to their mental health from lockdown.  I don't understand why everyone tolerance of risk has gone so off kilter! 

Why are you so sure that the physical risks are so much lower than the effect on mental health?  What are you basing that on?

Experts are expecting a major wave of Parkinson's disease, encephalitis etc in future years, as happened with the Spanish flu.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes they are absolutely at low risk of these things, and no more than the risk to their mental health from lockdown. 

A significant incidence of neurological and psychiatric illness within 6 months of testing positive for Covid is already being reported - in people who have had no such conditions before.  This includes  young people - in fact I read a study somewhere recently where 1 in 4 young people officially "recovered" from Covid were experiencing these neurological/psychiatric disorders.    It appears that the virus is impacting not only  the respiratory and circulatory systems but the central nervous system as well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Oh we will see higher cases, because they are going to offer everyone in the county 2 free tests a week.  Millions will go for it I am sure.  Hospitalisation is the only valuable measure now.

What do you mean ' free tests'' ? Do you currently have to pay to have a test?????

Cal x

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

What do you mean ' free tests'' ? Do you currently have to pay to have a test?????

Cal x

unless you had symptoms yes.  they are now offering anyone 2 free at LFT tests a week at home.  Started with secondary school kids, now everyone.  Consequently those who have Covid but with no symptoms are now testing positive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My Sister phoned last night. My niece has covid, is an asthmatic and is very sick. They have 3 kids so I guess it's only a matter of time till they all get it.

No one in hospital yet.

The vaccine doesn't stop you from getting it or spreading it BTW. Just reduces the symptoms, hopefully. 

My Niece and hubby are both teachers.

Sorry to hear that Paul, I hope they all make a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, s713 said:

Why did you remove the Covid and other debating threads from CTF? Threads everywhere else are just being hijacked now.

Too many complains about insults and arguments between forum members   ................  I think that was the reason.

Edited by Toots