FOXTEL vs Others

North to South

We dumped Foxtel years ago. I climbed up on our roof and dismantled the satellite dish and subsequently stuck my middle finger up skyward to any sattelite that may have been passing over. Oh yes, it felt good. What a great day. When I took the dismantled Foxtel dish to the rubbish dump, there were Foxtel dishes dumped in piles. 

Being a Foxtel customer is like owning a boat. The first day is wonderful but the day you get rid of it is even better   When Foxtel emerged onto the scene years ago there were no ads, but only "previews: of upcoming programs. By the the time we got rid of Foxtel, ad breaks contained up to 13 ads per ad break and sometimes 20 or more ads between programs. Foxtel is primarily an advertising platform interspersed with ordinary, snippets of dreary TV shows. Who could ever imagine that a program about redneck Preppers was prime time television?

Compared with this, I clearly recall when I was nearly a teenager in the mid 1960's when my father suddenly dragged out the white pages phone directory in order to find the Phone number of channel 9 in Sydney so that he could complain that an ad break contained three ads in a row. Now there are three minutes of programs interspersed with ads. In those days 30 minute or 60 minute programs ran for 30 minutes and 60 minutes respectively. They started on the hour or on the half hour consistently, Now those same programs start at ten past the hour  and half hour,  running for 40 minutes or well over an hour for the latter. What does that tell you. Its ADS! 

TV is dead. TV people, if in fact there are any, left have gradually been replaced by advertising nerds who run a platform that is Television to lure people to buy air fryers, life insurance, steak knives, and retirement villas, because those people watching still believe that TV is entertaining and is somehow watchable.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

We dumped Foxtel years ago. I climbed up on our roof and dismantled the satellite dish and subsequently stuck my middle finger up skyward to any sattelite that may have been passing over. Oh yes, it felt good. What a great day. When I took the dismantled Foxtel dish to the rubbish dump, there were Foxtel dishes dumped in piles. 

But Foxtel own the equipment not you. Presumably you had to pay a lot extra for not returning it.

• 3 months later...
On 08/03/2021 at 09:55, North to South said:

Hi,

I’ve always had Sky and then SkyQ in the UK more for the convenience of recording and watching TV online, but never thought it was value for money, but just paid for the convenience.  Now here in Adelaide I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth having FOXTEL or if there are better alternatives to use.  I’ve not missed much from Sky and been happy just with 7, 9 & 10 here and catching up on some UK programmers via a VPN, so just not sure if any TV pack is worth having so appreciate any views on whether paid TV is worth it here.

Thanks

I would advise against foxtel, nothing on there. 

Only thing on there you can’t get elsewhere is some sport. And now that’s only AFL football (which I doubt you will want to watch) and Formula 1. 

Other than that it’s just re runs of American police shows, CSI, NYLAPD, FML….. whatever they are called.

Use the money for VPN instead, Australian TV is garbage. 

On 09/03/2021 at 20:06, Ken said:

But modern TVs have netflix, sbs on demand, abc iview and foxtel apps (plus loads of others) built in. No coax required.

You'll have an NBN connection into the house somewhere, your TV is either plugged in to the modem or wifi connected. Our NBN just happens to be coax to the box outside, then fibre to the node.

10 minutes ago, Dan Not Dale said:

I would advise against foxtel, nothing on there. 

Only thing on there you can’t get elsewhere is some sport. And now that’s only AFL football (which I doubt you will want to watch) and Formula 1. 

Other than that it’s just re runs of American police shows, CSI, NYLAPD, FML….. whatever they are called.

Use the money for VPN instead, Australian TV is garbage. 

All these channels and they don't have the swim trials on free to air or the European cup. There's a real downside to paid for streaming services.

I love AFL so foxtel is worth it just for that for me.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

All these channels and they don't have the swim trials on free to air or the European cup. There's a real downside to paid for streaming services.

The swimming is on Amazon Prime.

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The swimming is on Amazon Prime.

On 19/06/2021 at 20:43, Bulya said:

We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and I think it’s called Fetch.  Had Stan but cancelled it. Prime is the best and just finished Clarkson’s Farm, highly recommended. 

Did you watch James May's cooking show on Amazon Prime. Oh Cook!   I enjoyed it.