FOXTEL vs Others

North to South

Hi,

I’ve always had Sky and then SkyQ in the UK more for the convenience of recording and watching TV online, but never thought it was value for money, but just paid for the convenience.  Now here in Adelaide I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth having FOXTEL or if there are better alternatives to use.  I’ve not missed much from Sky and been happy just with 7, 9 & 10 here and catching up on some UK programmers via a VPN, so just not sure if any TV pack is worth having so appreciate any views on whether paid TV is worth it here.

Thanks

There are a lot of different streaming services now available in Australia

Disney+ ($119.99/year or $11.99/month)  which you probably thought was just kids programs now includes Star which is all the movies and programs from 20th Century Fox which Disney now own.

Britbox ($89.99/year or $8.99/month) full of old BBC and ITV shows plus a handful of new programs

Netflix (from $10.99/month)

Binge (from $10/month)

Stan (from $10/month)

Hayu ($6.99/month)

Amazon Prime ($6.99/month)

Or if you really want to splash out:-

Foxtel Now (from $25/month, Sports +$29, Movies +$20, Drama pack including BBC First +$10, Kids pack +$10, Doco Pack +$10 all packs $104/month)

I splash out for Foxtel purely for the Formula 1 coverage. When Foxtel's current contract ends expect the F1TV channel to be legally available in Australia.

Edited by Ken

Personally I think Foxtel is decent value. The box has been reliable, they upgraded it to the latest when it died. It includes apps like SBS on demand, ABC catchup and Netflix built into the box, as well as being able to record and playback things. 

We have Netflix but nothing else. We stream other catchup channels, 9, 7 etc through to phone or laptop and use a chromecast dongle plugged in to a spare HDMI port.

If you like AFL Foxtel is a must. Great for other sport too.

You get lots of other channels provided. I used to download movies and some TV shows and play back through a WD tv box. It's disconnected now, plenty to watch with catchup and netflix.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

There are a lot of different streaming services now available in Australia

Disney+ ($119.99/year or $11.99/month)  which you probably thought was just kids programs now includes Star which is all the movies and programs from 20th Century Fox which Disney now own.

Britbox ($89.99/year or $8.99/month) full of old BBC and ITV shows plus a handful of new programs

Netflix (from $10.99/month)

Binge (from $10/month)

Stan (from $10/month)

Hayu ($6.99/month)

Amazon Prime ($6.99/month)

Or if you really want to splash out:-

Foxtel Now (from $25/month, Sports +$29, Movies +$20, Drama pack including BBC First +$10, Kids pack +$10, Doco Pack +$10 all packs $104/month)

I splash out for Foxtel purely for the Formula 1 coverage. When Foxtel's current contract ends expect the F1TV channel to be legally available in Australia.

Hi, F1 was the main reason I had Sky Sports.  Is F1 here by Sky, Martin Brundle etc, or is it an Australian broadcast ?

54 minutes ago, North to South said:

Hi, F1 was the main reason I had Sky Sports.  Is F1 here by Sky, Martin Brundle etc, or is it an Australian broadcast ?

It's the UK Sky team. Apparently their commentary goes to a lot of countries all over the world yet they happily commentate as if they are only talking to a UK audience including finishing the broadcasts by telling you about programs on other Sky TV channels in the UK!

PS Foxtel is available both as a streaming service (Foxtel Now) and as a traditional cable/satellite channel via an IQ box. Personally I have a smart TV and didn't want another box connected to the TV so just have Foxtel Now but either option you can use on multiple devices via the Foxtel Go App. There's also a Foxtel Now box for those who don't have a smart TV but don't want an IQ box.

Edited by Ken

58 minutes ago, North to South said:

Thanks for that.  I’ll look into FOXTEL especially as it avoids having a box.

But the box includes a 1TB hard drive so you can series link thinks and it records stuff to watch later.

You might not be able to get everything on Foxtel Now.

I would get the box.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

But the box includes a 1TB hard drive so you can series link thinks and it records stuff to watch later.

You might not be able to get everything on Foxtel Now.

I would get the box.

Why do you need your own personal recording of a show when everything is recorded for you in the cloud? 10 years ago a 1 TB hard drive was a brilliant idea to record your shows but it's passed its sell by date. With the exception of the news and sport I can't remember the last time I even watched "live" TV it's all choosing and watching a recording from the cloud.

5 minutes ago, Ken said:

Why do you need your own personal recording of a show when everything is recorded for you in the cloud? 10 years ago a 1 TB hard drive was a brilliant idea to record your shows but it's passed its sell by date. With the exception of the news and sport I can't remember the last time I even watched "live" TV it's all choosing and watching a recording from the cloud.

They may not all be available in the cloud. That is my point.

Foxtel don't make everything available all the time.

If you think Sky is bad, don't touch Foxtel. Appalling value for money. We have done the reverse journey and now I think Sky is great but it's only because I have experienced Foxtel.

My Oz set-up was Netflix (which isn't/wasn't as good in Oz), free-to-air, and a Kodi box. It was frustrating at times as our broadband speeds were poor but it was better than paying $200+ a month for Foxtel to watch American shite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s713 said:

If you think Sky is bad, don't touch Foxtel. Appalling value for money. We have done the reverse journey and now I think Sky is great but it's only because I have experienced Foxtel.

My Oz set-up was Netflix (which isn't/wasn't as good in Oz), free-to-air, and a Kodi box. It was frustrating at times as our broadband speeds were poor but it was better than paying $200+ a month for Foxtel to watch American shite.

No idea how anyone pays over $200 per month for Foxtel.

I'm currently paying $29 per month. But i will add Sport back on when the AFL starts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ken said:

There's plenty of us that still like to watch or record stuff. You don't have to mess about streaming, casting etc. It's all there recorded for your convenience. 

Our box is connected via coax and has netflix, sbs on demand and abc catchup apps built in, loads of extra channels and is reliable. Well worth having the box I reckon.

13 hours ago, s713 said:

All the channels, another box upstairs and broadband will make it >$200 a month. Just had a look at their website to see if it's come down, hasn't.

You're going to have NBN broadband connection anyway, you can choose a service provider, we've been with iinet since dial up days and they've always been good. Our Foxtel bill is nowhere near that much.

Obvs if you don't have your broadband with them, or all the channels or a second box, it will be less. That's why they do bundles. If your bundle is all the channels, a second box and their broadband, it will be >$200. If you want one box, basic channels and no broadband, it will about $40/$50 as a new customer. The website explains all this.

10 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's plenty of us that still like to watch or record stuff. You don't have to mess about streaming, casting etc. It's all there recorded for your convenience. 

Our box is connected via coax and has netflix, sbs on demand and abc catchup apps built in, loads of extra channels and is reliable. Well worth having the box I reckon.

But modern TVs have netflix, sbs on demand, abc iview and foxtel apps (plus loads of others) built in. No coax required.

• Like 1

If someone chooses to get every single channel, plus multiple boxes throughout the home it is a bit silly to complain loudly that Foxtel is too expensive.

Would be like me buying a new Ferrari and then moaning about how expensive cars are to buy.

10 hours ago, BusbyBoo said:

$10 on top of my NBN and I got a free fetch box and heaps of channels. I confess I still like my BBC First and uktv 🥰 and discovery etc.

Instead of getting one through your ISP, you can also buy a Fetch box outright from HN, JB, etc, which works with any ISP - we have a Fetch Mighty which allows you to record TV to watch any time instead of making sure you watch before it disappears from their catch-up/on demand service.  They have channel packs (one has BBC First and one has BBC Brit) which are $6/month or all four packs for $20, you can rent movies direct through the box and it has most of the streaming apps including Britbox (though we need to access Disney+ directly through the TV).

We find between Netflix, free-to-air, iView and SBS on demand (and now Disney+), we don't run out of things to watch.  We tend to get Stan and Amazon Prime for a month or two each year to catch up on their stuff as we don't find they have enough we like to justify having it all the time and only ever had Foxtel to watch Game of Thrones - we kept it for a month or two after one season ended and there was nothing on that was worth the cost. 

https://www.fetchtv.com.au/