Family Told, Skills Assessment submitted... now for some questions! (Sunshine Coast)

tonks

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

In a quieter rental market where there aren't a lot of good applicants for every property, then of course references aren't going to matter. But you have to consider what the market will be like.  As a landlord in Sydney, I expected my agent to ask for references.  There were always lots of applicants for my property and I needed some way to whittle them down. People who had a good job AND references would get picked before someone who had a good job but no references.   

It's an important point actually, and one I hope you mention often in your podcasts.  Australia is not all the same.  I live in Melbourne now and it's totally different to Sydney, not just the weather but the whole lifestyle.  I wouldn't live in Perth if you paid me, but I know friends who love it there and would hate living in Sydney.  

Another way of getting around the problem is to offer to pay more rent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In a quieter rental market where there aren't a lot of good applicants for every property, then of course references aren't going to matter. But you have to consider what the market will be like.  As a landlord in Sydney, I expected my agent to ask for references.  There were always lots of applicants for my property and I needed some way to whittle them down. People who had a good job AND references would get picked before someone who had a good job but no references.   

It's an important point actually, and one I hope you mention often in your podcasts.  Australia is not all the same.  I live in Melbourne now and it's totally different to Sydney, not just the weather but the whole lifestyle.  I wouldn't live in Perth if you paid me, but I know friends who love it there and would hate living in Sydney.  

Majority of poms think “it’s all the same”.  I’ve had this conversation many times over the decades, but it really is a waste of time.  

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 22:01, Marisawright said:

After you've been through a steaming hot summer, you'll be reaching for a warm coat when the cool weather starts (even though you'd have been in shorts in that "cool weather" in the UK).

This reminds me of when we had a 22 degree early summer day in the UK, and we were in the garden with the paddling pool out for the kids.  My sister in law meanwhile was in Melbourne out for walk with the family - 22 degrees and all in winter coats 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

This reminds me of when we had a 22 degree early summer day in the UK, and we were in the garden with the paddling pool out for the kids.  My sister in law meanwhile was in Melbourne out for walk with the family - 22 degrees and all in winter coats 🙂

It’s about what you get used to. I remember being in Perth one Easter walking about in a summer dress and everyone was in coats. I have family in Scotland and the paddling pools come out if it gets to 18 degrees as it’s rare to get any higher. The kids don’t seem to notice.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 22:39, tonks said:

Hi everyone, 

We told our family yesterday of our plans and were pleased everyone responded positively and even said they'd visit (still not convinced they will)! Husband's skills assessment goes off today to and he's booking his English test. I know that everything is so uncertain with Covid but it makes me feel better that we're actively doing what we can!

I have a few 'random questions' though if anyone would oblige, posting here as the topics are quite broad

• Beds - we have 2 double and a king size bed, can we ship our mattresses/bedding and is it worth it or are the bed sizes completely different? We are getting a container anyway as have just bought beautiful sofas so not worried about using the space, just practicalities. 
  • Air B&B - anyone have success with a 4-6 week let whilst waiting for container to arrive/house hunting?
  • Spiders (sorry!) - realistically, so I can prepare myself, are we likely to be encountering large/dangerous spiders on a daily basis/weekly/monthly? Do we need to sleep with one eye open? Are we going to have to inspect each room before we enter it for the rest of our lives? Basically, is it as bad as my UK friends are making out? 
  • How you make it safe to leave furniture/play equipment outdoors? Is that not a spider trap? Will we need to bug spray/inspect whenever we want to use our outdoor items?
  • Finally, clothing - as a fashion conscious 30 year old, am I better off stocking up on warm weather clothes and taking them across in the container? Or will I have access to enough up-to-date (English standard) shops? 

Is there anything else you wish you'd have thought of that we should be thinking of? 

Sorry, I know it's a few things at once, I'm a worrier! Thank you!!

A few comments from a fashion conscious woman in her sixties (!) the choice of clothes here in Sydney is not good, both styles and quality are a drop from the UK. I’ve been here four years (I came to join my daughter ... something that may be of interest to you in the future is the parent visa) and I haven’t worn my quilted winter jacket once. I find a decent waterproof anorak type thing is fine in Winter on cooler days here.  If I were repacking my stuff now I would bring UK hand towels (Aussie hand towels are tiny) my favourite brand of underwear (M&S in my case but each to his own)  loads of UK bed linen together with the beds I already owned, and a selection of warm jumpers / cardigans for Winter. I‘d also bring lots of tee shirts for Winter - in summer I find UK tee shirts too warm - and a couple of Light weight long sleeved shirts for wearing In the garden when the mozzies are about.    

When renting our first property we were asked for proof of income, and had no problem although we did offer six months rent up front in lieu of references. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

A few comments from a fashion conscious woman in her sixties (!) the choice of clothes here in Sydney is not good, both styles and quality are a drop from the UK. I’ve been here four years (I came to join my daughter ... something that may be of interest to you in the future is the parent visa) and I haven’t worn my quilted winter jacket once. I find a decent waterproof anorak type thing is fine in Winter on cooler days here.  If I were repacking my stuff now I would bring UK hand towels (Aussie hand towels are tiny) my favourite brand of underwear (M&S in my case but each to his own)  loads of UK bed linen together with the beds I already owned, and a selection of warm jumpers / cardigans for Winter. I‘d also bring lots of tee shirts for Winter - in summer I find UK tee shirts too warm - and a couple of Light weight long sleeved shirts for wearing In the garden when the mozzies are about.    

When renting our first property we were asked for proof of income, and had no problem although we did offer six months rent up front in lieu of references. 

Good luck!

I buy M&S on line, works ok most of the time. So many women of an older age here belong to what I call the white trouser brigade here on the coast, with a loose top. Often I can’t tell one from the other!

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ramot said:

I buy M&S on line, works ok most of the time. So many women of an older age here belong to what I call the white trouser brigade here on the coast, with a loose top. Often I can’t tell one from the other!

Yes I’m going to go to M&S online - need my Marks’ knickers!  I stocked up when I was in the UK in 2019 but of course our proposed bi- annual visiting plan has hit a bit of a glitch ...      people dont seem to do the white trouser thing round here, but I know what you mean!

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, expatdownunder said:

Hi there, doesn't matter one iota about a reference for a rental, people talk about references. Think about it, if you owned your own property outright in the UK and never rented, how would you ever have a reference!? You wouldn't. So you just tell them exactly that. We got our first rental no problem at all, and since then got friends that get exactly the same. As most people in the UK have a mortgage, I had personally never rented in my life until arriving in Oz.

Spiders.... Just like the UK really, you virtually see nothing at all, and the spiders you generally get in your house are just like home, bloody awful but harmless. You must see the occasional red back, especially on metal, but again few and far between unless you go looking for them. 

Other deadly animals.... Or Aussie animals. After 6 years in Perth, I have seen a few emus, loads of kangaroos, 1 Bob tail lizard in our garden which are harmless and that's it. If you live in suburbia chances are you'll see nothing. I've never seen a wild snake once.

Clothing, your fashion conscious, then stock the hell up as cloths shops are are complete shit. They have no brands you well be familiar with, all the shops you probably buy from won't be here. The closest you'll get is Myer which have big brands. But if your use to Dorothy Perkins, Top Shop, River island, Next, Selfridges etc.... Say goodbye. You'll be feeling like your buying clothes from Tesco as the quality is also rubbish. Basically anything made in Australia is shocking. Nothing against the place, actually love it. But they can't make anything of quality. You'll find that out when you build your first house and see the quality of windows, doors, wall treatments, insulation ( or lack of it). Don't get me wrong the houses look amazing but the important stuff is non existent.

Your beds, of you have a container take everything, as you can get bedding for everything. Just think they can it Queen instead of King or vice versa.

Creepy crawlys and toys left outside. Just check them. Chances are there's nothing in them but just have a look.

Finally. Please come on our podcast.

We have a chat about anything and everything with you. Your story would be good especially to anyone considering the move to Oz that haven't made any decisions yet. Check us out on iTunes, Spotify, Deezer, Google Podcast etc...

Expats n cork hats.

Want a chat? Get in touch through Instagram or Facebook @expatsncorkhats

Hopefully speak soon,

Mark | one half of Expats 'n' Cork Hats

Different insulation/build quality in every state and territory, like everything else in Australia.  And many things are the highest quality you’ll find.  You’re obviously shopping in the wrong places...

• Like 1