vongole83

Northcote?

Posted (edited)

We are (hopefully - flight permitting!!) MELB bound in May...

My Mrs has her heart set on living in Northcote (Being a Melb native but having been away for 9 years now). We are going to be looking for a 4 bed house in the area and moving with our 7 month- old and our dog. From having spent a little bit of time there, it seems like a nice part of town, and well connected to the centre.

3 questions:

Does anyone live in the area? What is it like?

Are there any areas in/ close to Northcote to avoid? Are there any areas you might consider instead?

In regards to dogs/ babies, how is the area? I've looked at parks, nurseries, etc. but any anecdotal info welcome too 🙂

Thanks

Edited by vongole83

I live in Brunswick East.  Northcote is a couple of suburbs away.  It is a nice area.  It's not the same as it was 9 years ago as it's become trendy. That's a good thing in that there's a lot more cafes and restaurants but it has also driven up house prices.  I assume you've checked that out on realestate.com.au.   

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I'm in Northcote and have been for the last 8-9 years. For me, it is the ideal suburb with lots of facilities, parklands and entertainment on the doorstep with great public transport to/from the CBD and other parts of the city. I'm single and in a spacious apartment because house prices are expensive and unaffordable for me. A 4-bed house will not be far from (if not exceeding), $2m with a 4-bed townhouse being a rarity (most are 2 and 3 bed).